What's new

The Nostradamus hoax (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I know some of you have pointed this hoax out to others in some threads, but I thought it would be of service to let all readers know that this whole "City of God, twin brothers..." quote being attributed to Nostra. is actually a misunderstanding by someone reading a Nostra. website discussing the ease of predicting things by keeping things vague.
The author wrote a made-up Nostra-like quote (the now becoming famous "twins" one) and then showed how it could mean almost anything by staying vague enough.
His point has been very well made as this quote is now making the rounds. I've even seen his quote embellished with some other additions regarding "birds" or other plane imagery.
Please, do your part to nip this crap in the bud when it springs up. The last thing we need is a bunch of people freaking out over some "prediction" that isn't real.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'm sick of seeing this too.
There is also a Gordon Sinclair article floating around email and the net, concerning the lack of support shown to the U.S. in its affairs, which sort of bothers me. It's a piece written in 1973 that is being presented as new. Its message has a timeless quality, but some people have been altering parts of it to create the illusion it was written specifically about Tuesday's tragedy, and that just pisses me off. The author has been dead since 1984.
It all just sort of reaffirms the sentiment (expressed once by Bill Maher although I'm not sure if he coined it) that the internet is like the bathroom wall.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
The worst part of that Nostradamus quote is that everyone is writing 1654 when he died way before that. I guess he must have Resurected himself to come back and write that prediction. I had to correct people on my companies spam/E-mail list
wink.gif

------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I wish people would stop posting these bullshit lines.
These apocolyptic prophecies scare the shit out of me.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Enough already with this Nostradamus B.S.
Boy, humankind is gullible. Who are we going to listen to next, Miss Cleo
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
The worst part of that Nostradamus quote is that everyone is writing 1654 when he died way before that.
I saw one where someone had changed this to 654, supposedly to make it look more credible. Of course, that would imply that Nostradamus lived hundreds of years...
People are lemmings. They simply forward things to everyone without even checking it. What's sad is that it makes normally intelligent people look like idiots. My parents and family members are constantly forwarding crap like this. The only person I have been able to educate is my aunt - she finally quit forwarding virus warnings to people. That doesn't stop her from forwarding everything else, but it's a start...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
After ranting about being sick of all this Nostradamus shit in another thread, I had hoped to be done with it. I get on the bus last night to go hoe, turn on my walkman, and low and behold two Seattle DJs were talking about it as if it were gospel and then started saying shit like "Who is this Nostradamus guy. Sounds like an Arab to me." It made me sick!
I wish there were such a thing as CNN Radio. There is no good radio!
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
"This is not a drill! This is the apocolypse!"
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
NPR
Sorry, I like my new radio a little less politically biased than that... :)
And that is all I have to say on that subject.
-Mike
------------------
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
While this is very visual news story, generally speaking NPR is my new source. We are blessed in Dallas to have an absolutely wonderful affiliate with lots of original programming. If you have never listened to NPR, it is usually at the lower end of the FM dial, i.e. < 94.
I just saw the above comment by Mr. Serrano (one of my favorite Chili's by the way :)) while (like most legitimate News organization) NPR is somewhat slanted to the left, I find their coverage more balanced than most.
FYI, FWIW - I am a Libertarian and somewhat slanted to the right.
[Edited last by Scott Dill on September 13, 2001 at 01:16 PM]

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
The best thing you can do to anyone who forwards that stuff is immediately reply back with a link to the site that says it's bogus. Several people who forward this stuff to me are tired of me doing that, but since I'm tired of receiving that bunk, it evens out. One person even goes so far as to send the stuff to me first so I can verify it before she forwards it to everybody.
That being said, here's the URL on a great bio of Gordon Sinclair (FYI, I've heard that some Canadian media outlets are reprinting his article, so perhaps it has become a message for today): http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/schools/rt.../sincla_g.html
This article is also going arount the 'net, it's a great article by Leonard Pitts, Jr about where America is going to go from here, and it's directed at the Terrorists:
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The false quotes are annoying, but what's really disturbing is how people jump at the chance to circulate such lies. Even if this were an accurate quote, what do you have to gain by emailing it around?
"Gee, I sure hope people think the Apocalypse is coming! How funny!"
Some people are sickening, stupid fools.
Present company nonwithstanding. :)
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Joel C

Screenwriter
Want good radio? Check us out. My college (Loyola University Chicago) station, WLUW, is the ONLY community station in the city of Chicago. Great ethnic/community programming, plus the best in independent music.
www.wluw.org
Listen to me, every Wednesday from 12 pm to 2 pm Central time.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I was in a Waldenbooks yesterday, and the clerk who was ringing up my purchases was simultaneously on the phone apologizing to a customer. Seems the man wanted a copy of the "prophecies" of Nostradamus and that every copy of every edition they carried (and I was astonished at how many different versions there are) was sold out. They were trying to get more copies from the publishers, but with UPS, Airborne and FedEx grounded (not to mention the USPS) it would take awhile. I have no doubt that this sudden upsurge in the Big N's ramblings is directly related to this bogus "prophecy."
Regards,
Joe
------------------

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The false quotes are annoying, but what's really disturbing is how people jump at the chance to circulate such lies. Even if this were an accurate quote, what do you have to gain by emailing it around?
Exactly. The only thing to be gained by forwarding that email is the fomenting of more fear and terror. All those assholes who passed this along are simply terrorists on a smaller scale. No one could possibly say that they didn't realize that this message (bogus or no) did anything but increase fear and anxiety.
I spent the morning standing outside in the rain as the Boston bomb squad swept Harvard Medical School. Our offices in Holyoke Center also received bomb threats. I have little doubt that these incidents were simply hoaxes like the Nostradamus email. I guess we're gonna have to get used to it, but one would hope that our fellow citizens wouldn't stoop to such cruel and idiotic behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks