What's new

The Nikon D4 owners thread =) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cees Alons said:
But $3000 isn't overkill, necessarily, for a non-professional. The D800-body is just below that amount.
Cees
Maybe the price isn't overkill but the megapickles are. Seriously no amateur needs 36 of em. You are much much better off buying a used D700 or waiting for the -real- D700 replacement. I strongly suspect we are going to see a LOT of unimpressed and regretful early D800 buyers.
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/23/poll-nikon-d800-with-36mp-or-with-16mp-sensor.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/22/nikon-d800-vs-nikon-d700-high-iso-comparison.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/17/nikon-d800d800e-technical-guide-now-available-for-download.aspx/

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I won't be buying a used D700 - I already own one.

Yet - you could combine three pixels of a D800 and get a D700 picture but now with three genuine colour components. It's a real improvement if it works properly and, as I said, it will be interesting to see how it works out in practice.
(BTW, I don't think the 2nd-hand price of a D700 will drop impressively very soon.)

And to better judge some of the comments we're already getting on the 'net: don't forget about the grapes hanging out of reach!

Cees

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Looks like you are wrong Cees, prices for used will drop soon because the NEW price is dropping $500, its not discontinued in the US and Europe after all, just Japan:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/24/500-price-reduction-for-the-nikon-d700-in-the-us-next-month.aspx/

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ha, ha, yes.
Probably too much inventory here and there in need to get sold.

Cees

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Orders are starting to ship to NPS members and they've included a neat treat in the pre-order batches, a fre 16gb XQD card and reader, both Sony branded.
I had been seeing people mention on fora that they had been getting offers in their Amazon gold box to order the D4 for 5% off, or $5699 so I inquired of Amazon if I was entitled to this price under their pre-order price guarantee. They denied repeatedly that anyone was getting this price but when I presented them the actual order info from other people they hastily changed my order and reduced the preorder price for me too!
I am so stoked. One less batch of plasma I will have to sell off to afford it =)
Now just the waiting remains. I actually had it pre-ordered at B&H and Amazon both, figuring I would cancel whichever shipped first, but with the price drop I'll wait for however long it takes Amazon to ship to me. Hopefully it won't be months and months.
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/14/nikon-d4-shipping-to-nps-member-in-the-us.aspx
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/14/nikon-d4-manual-xqd-cards-and-other-updates.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/13/nikon-d4-unboxing-video.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/13/first-nikon-d4-delivered.aspx/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Was really hoping mine would have shipped last week, doesn't seem like anyone but NPS have gotten theirs in the states so far. I hope Amazon can come through!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm sure you're going to be very happy with that baby!

Although I gave myself some time to decide when (and with what) I would replace my D700 with, fate (or Freud possibly ) has forced my hand.

Last week we were on a short cruise vacation, involving boarding from Baltimore. When we got out of the taxi on the pier, my wife was paying the taxi driver and I was forced to jump out quickly to handle the porter who started to unload our suitcases from the trunk.

While I was explaining him where they had to go, etc., show him a copy of the label he would have to print - he asked me to copy the number on it myself - my wife got out also and the taxi drove away. Only a few moments later he was totally out of sight, when I realized my D700 was still on the back seat.

No need to tell you that no one remembered any number or name (the hotel when called could name the company to us, but the taxi company claimed to have no contact with their drivers during the working day).

So, I could have bought it back that evening, I guess, on eBay, from either the ahem x-honest taxi driver or else the equally honest next customer.

The only good news was the fact that I changed the CF-card just before leaving the hotel, so all my photos, except two rather inconsequential ones, were in my pocket.
I had to buy a D3100 in Key-West to even be able to make a few more photos. It will probably be a nice present to my daughter later.

So, now about those D4, D800, D800E cameras....

Cees

PS: In Nassau, Bahamas, in a bookshop, a big "funny" sign caught our attention, saying:

Finders Keepers
Losers Weepers.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, so funny!
C.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's one way to get the wife to approve a new camera, Cees! Maybe I'll try that so I can get a new Canon 5D3. :laugh:
Seriously, did you lose all your lenses, too? You should check with your insurance company. Here in the States, a loss like this is sometimes covered under our homeowners insurance.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Scott,

Just one lens (and a battery and a case and an almost-empty 8GB CF-card). The rest was in the cabin-bag.
That lens was the very handy and small, (now) rare, but not-terribly-excellent-though-really-up-to-the-job vacation lens I love(d ) to carry on my camera while walking around cities. It was the not too expensive Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-G zoom. Nikon stopped producing it in 2006, and I must have bought the last new one available in my country, back in 2009, because the clerk on the phone said it didn't exist at all - and while speaking saw it laying on the shelf (I ordered it on the 'net, but something went wrong with their payment pages, so I had to call the shop).

In order to get my insurance company at home (no I don't have special 'travel insurances' normally) to even process it, I would need to show a police statement proving that I filed a loss or theft with the police - something we had no sufficient time for (although we spoke to a rather friendly female officer in a police car on the pier).

My wife drew her credit-card in the Key West shop (not because she felt guilty, but because on these vacations she does the payments ashore, while I usually keep my cc "clean" for the payments of hotels, on the ship, etc.), which elicited a "oh, wow, now I understand it, you have a sugar-mamma" from the shop keeper.
But yes, she understands I will need to buy myself one of those new FX-es soon.

Cees

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cees Alons said:
So, now about those D4, D800, D800E cameras....
Cees
PS: In Nassau, Bahamas, in a bookshop, a big "funny" sign caught our attention, saying:
Finders Keepers
Losers Weepers.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, so funny!   :(
C.
Aw man wish I had known you were in Charm City Cees =) Not sure if it's different where you live but Finders Keepers is pretty much the motto of every five year old here in the states ;)
Sorry for your lost camera, that does suck! I lost my iPad a few weeks back and only got it back via the tools Apple provides to track em down. Wish Cameras had that feature!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/317481/the-nikon-d4-owners-thread/30#post_3909494
........... Not sure if it's different where you live but Finders Keepers is pretty much the motto of every five year old here in the states
Unfortunately it's becoming general practice more and more here too. Nevertheless, several years ago I recovered a wallet (although with the money gone from it) and later a lost key set through the police lost-and-found department. The persons bringing it even had the place where they found it recorded, but left without leaving their identity.
If someone in my country keeps a lost item (or money), he will still realize probably that he is actually stealing, though. He may feel a bit guilty or not at ease. A practicing Catholic would have to confess it, I suppose.

Back in 1985, I visited Japan, together with a small business group. One of the mornings, one person realized he had left his camera on a bench in the subway-station in Tokyo (realized it just after the train we were in left).
There really wasn't enough time to go to a police station to do all sorts of paperwork and he asked our Japanese companion if the subway company had a lost and found department he could call (difficult because of the language matter). Our Japanese companion told him not to worry, because we would be back in the same station at the end of the day. Of course we all thought that wasn't any good, but the Japanese explained that stealing a lost (or apparently forgotten) item of someone else would be felt as a "low-cast" act by almost anyone in Japan and really cause shame.

When we returned (8 or more hours later, on that very busy subway station), our colleague immediately looked at the bench, but it wasn't there. Then our Japanese friend pointed it out: it was now hanging higher up in a slightly safer place (against accidental damage) close to the bench our colleague left it on.

No need to tell here, perhaps, how much impressed we all were.

Cees

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh yeah. I have lost things and been crushed and just recently left my iPad 2 in a shopping cart and stoked to use Find My iPad and get it back, but no way that is going to happen reliably in the states. Perhaps the most famous case of Finder Keepers turning into a theft case is the Gizmodo lost iPhone 4 prototype situation....

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Don't be your usual shy!

Tell us all about it once you got that baby in your eager little hands.

Please!

Cees

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sorry to hear Cees.

I once lost my wallet back in my college days a couple decades ago (up in Ithaca, NY) and got it sent back home a month or so later w/ all contents in place, including the little bit of cash that was there. Really didn't expect that to happen since I'm a lifelong city-person who grew up mainly in NYC (before much of it became a nicer, safer place to live).

Of course, everyone's probably also heard stories about lost (and recovered) Strads in NYC taxi cabs, etc. too.

I guess it really kinda depends on where you are and who actually happens to find your lost item here in the USA...

RE: that Tokyo anecdote, Hong Kong is not quite like Tokyo/Japan, but yeah, I do recall finding this highly opportunistic/capitalistic(?), "finders keepers" American mentality to be a bit of a culture shock when my family immigrated here back in the 70's -- it started w/ my early encounters w/ some American-born cousins. Then again, HK definitely had its own fair share of highly unethical/amoral folks. And Japan is/was definitely a different "animal" even when it came to criminal activity (or so it's been understood by many)...

And back on topic, I'll probably just have to continue to live vicariously thru y'all here as I can't really afford a body upgrade anytime soon. Maybe I need to get my D200 "lost" somehow to force my hand...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks