What's new

THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When it reappears on the release schedule, I hope a Blu-ray release is added too.

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That's a huge bummer!

Although if they're going to do it right, then I'm all for a delay. The potential is there for an amazing commentary (plenty of scholars love this film) as well as a documentary that made the rounds a few years ago, and additional behind the scenes footage.

If Sony decides to do this right, this DVD could be one of the best ever.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps they realized that nobody cares about the 1990s remake and were actually expecting some useful features? Was it not previously announced on this forum by someone who attended a screening of the restored print in LA that documentaries and such had been produced?

I also find it shockingly frustrating that Fox would tack on an extra disc on the 90's remake of TNOTH while neglecting to include the classic End Of A Gun on their Gunfighter disc... arrgh!

Paladin

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
The MGM version of The Night of the Hunter is in fullscreen 1:33:1 format. I believe the film's original aspect ratio was 1:37:1(even though IMDB says 1:66:1). I would also like to have it in its original aspect ratio, but I don't imagine it will look much different from the MGM version.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Good timing for this thread to have been bumped earlier today -- see the link to a related article in today's L.A. Times:

Los Angeles Times: 'Night of the Hunter' outtakes to screen at UCLA Film & Television Archive festival

Header information from the article is also pasted below as a preview:

From the Los Angeles Times
'Night of the Hunter' outtakes to screen at UCLA Film & Television Archive festival
Footage lends insights into Charles Laughton's directorial debut.
By Susan King
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 8, 2008

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

There's far too much dead space watching it in Academy; Stanley Cortez's cinematography looks pretty damn good at 1.66:1, and it's not significantly 'tight' at 1.85:1. I'm positive it was framed for widescreen.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've just watched the whole film again (I only meant to refresh my memory, but, well you know how it is...), and to double underline it, it looks absolutely spot-on at 1.85:1.

It is, of course, one of the finest movies ever made.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

I attended this in Westwood last night.

The whole program ran 2hr 40mins with live narration in some segments by Robert Gitt. He told us that he had edited the outtakes to follow the order in which they appeared in the film. We also got to see segments with Laughton reading passages from the bible and yelling commands at the actors & Bob Mitchum using some dirty language. The films opening intro was supposed to have been given by Laughton himself, then he instead decided to ask Lillian Gish to do it. I had planned to ask Bob Gitt about the forthcoming dvd release, but didn't see him after the show ended. IF we get what I saw last night, then fans of this film will LOVE it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks