What's new

The next Sci-Fi saga (1 Viewer)

Oliver Kopp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
What about Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy? I´d love to see the books made into a good series of movies.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I agree on Proyas. The guy does superb work.
Not so sure about Hitchhikers Guide, though. I mean, they're funny but... it's more like humorous fantasy in a space setting than actual science fiction.
Then again, I didn't exactly suggest any pure science fiction movies myself... but I do have a fondness for spectacle and action. Just wish they'd do it right. :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would like to see them adapt

- The Rowan

- Damia

- Damia's Children

- Lyon's Pride

series by Anne McAffrey.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't there some talk of making a movie of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card? I loved the book (and the ones that followed it), hoping they don't screw it up too badly.

Andrej

JerryW

Supporting Actor
A few of my "wants".
Chronicles of Amber - Although, this may make a better TV series
A Canticle for Leibowitz - Would be breathtaking if done well, PJ would be a great choice for directing it
Dragonriders of Pern - TV series is still being discussed
Wheel of Time - This would be a huge venture, very expensive (too expensive?)
The Riftwar Saga (Raymond Feist)
Ender's Game - This movie will happen. It's just a matter of time
FOTR has proven that the Fantasy genre has a lot of life and potential. The studios had better strike now while the iron is hot.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
- Although, this may make a better TV series
I am really with you on this one. I read the books 20 years ago when I was in 7th grade. These have it all for a blockbuster.
1. Matrix style reality is not reality.
2. Kick ass sword fights which would be even better if I actually could understand all those technical terms.
3. Mystery.
4. Deceit.
5. Really good characters and plot.
What an awesome trilogy this would make and what an aweful mess it would be as one movie.
Chuck Anstey

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I heard you on that one. But I wonder if such would offend that many people today? The Overlords make for an exciting paradox--part of what makes Childhood's End so effective.

Here's a project I hope never materializes: the oft-rumored, Jim Cameron-directed remake of 1956's unimprovable Forbidden Planet.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Yep, I could imagine New Line giving CoA the royal treatment (so to speak). A 3 movie series (ala LOTR) with a $400M budget could make huge profits.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, CoA doesn't have the name recognition that LOTR does, so I doubt you'll be seeing that, especially with that kiond of invesment.

Grant Degs

Agent
How about Dan Simmon's 4 book Hyperion series.

Great time travel stuff and a love story!!

Of course, it would have to be done right.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
This is Definatly what I'd like to see.

DragonLance - Just the initial 4 (Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer)

Wheel of Time - This would be big since he hasn't finished it yet

Sword of Truth - same as Wheel of time

I didn't realize Ender's Game was going to be made. This was an awsome book, I'd definatly watch the movie.

I also think continuing with the Conan story line would be great but unfortunatly I don't think Arnold has enough in him for the caliber of movie I would want to see.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Bill, I believe there were only three books in the original Dragonlance trilogy: Dragons of... Autumn Twilight, Winter Night, and Spring Dawning.
I really never know where the love of Battlestar Galactica comes from. It was such a cash-in concept and I just can't imagine it being anything 'magical' enough to be a proper saga.:frowning:

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see any of David Brin's "Uplift" series

made into a series of movies, but the technical aspects

are probably too daunting.

To see "StarTide Rising" would be a real treat.

Dr. Joe

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Grant D. and Joseph H.: you are both absolutely spot on!

As I began to read this thread, I wondered if I would be the first to mention the greatest SF novel of all time in my planned reply. No need, as Grant already suggested it. Hyperion has no peer, and with its melding of SF sub-genres, it would have something for fans of all stripes, along with a killer cliffhanger.

And I hadn't even thought of the Uplift books until Joseph mentioned them, but if there's one series almost as good as the Hyperion books, it's David Brin's saga. In fact, Brin just did a book signing for Kiln People a week and a half ago that I attended in San Francisco. I'm looking forward to reading that and his non-fiction work from a couple of years ago, Transparent Society.

If anyone's reading this thread and hasn't read either of these authors, you're definitely missing out. Both can hold their own with the giants of SF like the previously mentioned Arthur C. Clarke and others. Go out right now and buy the 4 Hyperion books and Brin's six Uplift novels. You won't regret it.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Stephen R Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever would make a fascinating trilogy; very adult and very sophisticated. Actually, they're probably way too adult and sophisticated to get past the pitch stage.

I heard a rumor a while back that Antonio Banderas was connected with a film adaptation of Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow, which may be the best debut novel I've ever read.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
No one's mentioned Asimov's Foundation series?
I've thought about that, too, but I don't know; that'd be pretty hard to adapt, but I guess it could be done. For a while, I'd heard something about Simon West directing The Caves of Steel, and had it not been for Tomb Raider, I would say that's a great idea. It still might be, if there's a good script. A Bailey/Olivaw series could work if some care is taken with it. :)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
More in the fantasy column would be Gaimen's Neverwhere . I have the miniseries as done in England, but while I love it, it still has a "made for TV" look and feel. Also in the fantasy/SF zone would be Pullman's "Golden Compass," "Subtle Knife" and "Amber Spyglass." Someone on HTF actually recommended it to me and, whomever that was, I can't thank them enough. This would be a difficult but beautiful film if in the right hands.
I agree that some original SF/Fantasy would be good on film, but since books seem easier for the studios to greenlight, I would rather they adapt some great SF/Fantasy vs. more "Blackhawk Down" or yet another lame King/Koontz/Kranz style novel. I think it doesn't have to be "original" to be cool. Hell, most "original" stuff is just adapted from other ideas in the first place. Shakespeare, whom many in the theatre world cite as the thematic basis for many modern plays ("Romeo and Juliet" in the ______

Dave Hensley

Auditioning
Kimmo beat me to it: Starship Troopers with the suits instead of the pooping bugs. Or do Haldeman's "Forever War" instead.

Also, "The Mote in God's Eye" (Niven and Pournelle) would make an eerie movie, and there could be at least one follow-on.

But my recommendation for best series would have to be Pohl's "Gateway" series. Great stories, character development, etc., but also have enough splatter and slap-and-tickle to please the Hollywood money guys. Let somebody dark like Scott do this (or at least the first one) and you would have a classic.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Heinlein, Gibson, Bear (oh my?) :)
I had heard something about Tom Hanks doing Stranger... If it's done, I hope it's done well. Yeah! I want more hard sci-fi! Whatever happened to the Neuromancer project? Last I heard they had worked out the script, and were set to begin casting, but Seven Arts went chapter 11. I think that Bear's Queen of Angels would be a good film... how to do the dolphin skin transform? cgi?... hm.. what else? Niven definitely. Asimov, etc. I thought after Matrix's success there would be a slew of sci fi coming out, but so far, nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks