What's new

The Next Great Advance in Home Theater: Dolby TrueHD? (1 Viewer)

glenm

Auditioning
Real Name
glen
I bought the Perfect Storm after reading this forum that it support True HD. How do you know that its supports True HD. Becuase it doesnt said on the menu under audio settng. I know Im not really good with this new technology but I learn a lot in this forum. Hope you guys could fill me in this craze about HD DVD. I also bought U 571, U2 Rattle and Hum, Swordfish and Italian Job. Im enjoying every cent that I spent on my new system. Im glad to be a part of this forum.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Glen, welcome!

When you play the movie and hit the menu button, you should have a menu across the bottom the screen while the movie is playing. Go into Settings, then select Language Settings. The Dolby True HD selection should be there.

When it says "Menu Audio" that refers to the woosh noise the menu makes when it appears and disappears.

- Steve

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Let me follow Steve's good manners as well and welcome you Glen :). This is a great place to hang out discussing our favorite hobby. Just agree with everything I say and you'll do fine. :D ;)

No, seriously, glad you're here. And enjoy the new HD player. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so this DD true hd, why is it better then dd+ or any other DD sound process.

i see words like MPL lossless, IME and some other techno babble(to me).
what is lossles?

i know that it is supposed to sound better.
but switching on the fly with the only true hd i have, phantom, i dint notice a difference between the true hd and the dd+.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
OP Steve,
Thanks for getting me into HiDef again! :)
It's tough to get excited with the format war going on. :-(
Sound was a BIG part of my interest in HiDef back in 2005 and IMO not enough people talk about it.
Glad your getting a jolt from one piece of equipment for your entire system.
It's the way this hobby should be! ;-)
One "new" unit, making everything 'new' again! :-0

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Usually, it is one new item that causes upgrades to everything else! :)

- Steve

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
I take it you are familiar with CDs and MP3s? MP3 is the format often used to compress songs from a CD.

Dolby Digital / DTS / Dolby Digital Plus are all like MP3 in the sense that they are lossy compression of the original source. Dolby TrueHD differs because it is lossless compression -- quality like you'd get directly from the CD, rather than the quality you'd get from a MP3.

The bit rates (bandwidth) used by TrueHD are more than coax and optical support (as implemented), so you can't experience it using those connections. You can only experience TrueHD with HDMI or 5.1 analog out.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
To add do Ken's explanation for Tony, Dolby True HD is supposed to be a bit-for-bit replica of the studio master, whereas the other compressed formats like Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus make smart assumptions about what we can typically hear and eliminate those frequencies in the compression process.

That is one of the reasons I like digital projection in the local movie theater--in addition to high definition video, the audio is uncompressed. And now, we can do this at home!

- Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok so lossless is simply just that.

nothing is lost or missing from the audio on the dvd compared to the origional recorded masters?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
They're as good as the "communication channels" are. That includes sampling, digitizing, transferring, compressing, recording, reading, decompressing, transferring, analogue reconstruction (DA) and reproducing.

Most, if not all of this is the case in any other audio transfer too.

Yes, they're as close to the original recorded masters as can be.

Cees

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have only heard alittle bit of Training Day in Dolby True HD surround. And want to hear some more titles before making up my mind about Dolby's new surround format. HD titles like Superman Returns would be good, so would titles like Lord Of The Rings, Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan and Matrix. Those titles should show us what Dolby True HD is capible of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks