The next big thing? Curved TV's...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Collins, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins Owner, from The Other Washington
    Owner

Kevin Collins
    To turn around dropping sales, TV manufacturers are working on a number of technologies to appeal to consumers, including curved screens.

LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics and Sony all showed curved TVs at the IFA show this week, with various sizes and resolutions, and based on different technologies.

[​IMG]

I remember the curved screens in large movie theaters years back... However, having a 50' wide curved screen and a 55" curved screen doesn't seem to be the same unless I am a couple feet away from the screen.

Right now to get a curved screen you will need OLED technology. A full HD 55-inch OLED set from LG, the 55EA9809, already costs $11,800. I think I will wait for the curved screen, though I AM very excited about OLED. Let's put it this way... I'm about as excited for OLED as I was for HDTV/Blu-Ray/HD DVD....

Who's stepping up to get an OLED?

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Not me, unless prices come down, and there is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the 1080p currently available

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Eventually we won't have a choice in OLED.Then it comes to the choice of curved/4K.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Curved screen? No thanks.

Joe Bernardi likes this.
  5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I only want curved if it's a VERY big screen. Curved is great if the screen is huge or if you are sitting in the center viewing position. If not it will have a negative impact on viewing angles.

6. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    My concern is the effect upon the dispersion characteristics of speakers placed in proximity to a large, concave, curved, reflecting surface, especially the center channel speaker in a multi-seat home theater. In theory, it would act like a partial parabolic reflector, which would focus acoustic radiation to a narrowed area out in the audience and away from off-axis seating. I have yet to see any articles on this potential effect. In projection theaters, the large, curved screen is acoustically transparent, with the speakers mounted behind the screen surface, surrounded by acoustically absorbent material.

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Supposedly DuPont's OLED can be made AT...(the tech behind it certainly leads to the possibility)

8. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I'm excited about OLED, but I'll pass on anything with a curved screen.

Joe Bernardi likes this.