What's new

The newest annoyance in children's footwear (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL

I'm not afraid to let it be known that I don't like to settle for anything less than I deserve. Hell, if I had, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Sometimes, this makes me seem a bit unreasonable, but I prefer it because some things are often worth fighting (or arguing) about.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are the potential problems so serious or so likely that roller-shoes should prohibited and/or regulated? Not hypberolic venting on a forum, but seriously?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Dave, if a store can prohibit entrance from someone not wearing shoes, they can surely prohibit someone from using skating shoes.

I mean, where's the potential problem with someone not wearing a shirt? Yet the "No Shirt/No Shoes/No Service" signs are all over the place.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Yes, in private businesses whose proprietors have specifically chosen not to serve patrons who don't adhere to a certain dress code. This is entirely different than enacting a law which unilaterally prohibits any such business from serving those patrons; there is no law against going shirtless or shoeless in a restaurant or store.

I would wholeheartedly support a business owner who chooses to prohibit roller-skate shoes in his own establishment, but I would most definitely not support a law which forces that prohibition upon unwilling businesses. Do you see the difference?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That was my bad for using that term. Actually, I wasn't using the proper terminology. I meant "law" as in when a store prohibits someone from doing something. I never meant I wanted police to arrest kids for using them in stores, I just meant that I wanted some rule so that if I ever do see a kid recklessly using skates in a crowded store, I have the ability to say something (by being backed by a store rule) and not have people roll their eyes at me (like most people do here) and say "get over it" because it's not something I should just "get over".

That's why I brought up the skating laws in my town...I was trying to show how my prohibiting rules (in stores) aren't as unreasonable as some make it seem. If my town can make a law that doesn't allow kids to rollerblade in the town square, then a store can make a rule (not a law) that prohibits their use in their stores.

That's where I was going with it.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
What's with all this dancing that's going around too? I think it should be outlawed. I once lived in a town like that and then this kid named Kevin Bacon showed up and now there's dancing again and I had to move.

And get off my lawn, and if your ball rolls or falls onto my lawn, I will keep it!

Just bustin' chops. ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No problem. I can understand why people would think it's no big deal. But that's the way anything is, it doesn't seem like a big deal until it affects (or threatens to affect) you personally.

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator
Frequent lurker, seldom poster here with my 2 cents.

I have to agree with MarkHastings on this. There's no excuse for allowing kids to rollerskate around a crowded store or restaurant where someone could get seriously hurt.

There are plently of other places these kids can use the skates, like parks or outside on the sidewalk.

So many parents(and none parents too) have the mindset that because nothing bad has happened yet, nothing ever will.
This conversation reminded me of the episode of Nanny911 from the other day. This family let their 2 year go outside to play without any supervision, running around the front yard, just a few feet away from the street. Half the time the parents didn't even know he was outside till he been out there for awhile.

Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean you should go crazy and disregard all basic safety.

I've never been in a life-threatening car crash, does that mean I should drive as fast as I want all the time? No.

Just because most of these kids haven't caused any serious problems yet, doesn't mean they should be allowed to continue doing it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Matt, like I said before, I was almost plowed into by one of these roller-kids at Wal-Mart. If I was actually knocked down and injured, I'm sure people would think different of me for being upset, but since I wasn't, people think I'm being unreasonable for being upset for my safety.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
While I do agree that kids need to be kept under control and should not be skating around wal-mart and running into folks, the most pressing question that popped into my mind was:

are they going to make an adult size? I mean, I could dunk a basketball for the first time ever!

If anything, it seems like these would be less of an annoyance than Heelys simply because kids would run out of energy much quicker having to jump repeatedly rather than just glide around.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I think those little shoes with wheels are great. Then again, I get various levels of enjoyment by intentionally bumping kids off course and sending them flying into walls, doorways, support beams, display cases, curbs, small animals, large bodies of water and fat people.*

Our town has a sign in the shopping district that clearly states "No bikes, roller blades or skateboarding on the sidewalk." The other day at lunch some teenage girl comes riding up behind me on her bike, says "excuse me" and tries to ride on by, in complete disregard to the rule. I told her to pound sand, blocked her path and walked even slower.**

* I'm kidding, but would do it if given the chance.
** I'm not kidding, actually did block her path for as long as possible, and told her why I was doing it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I finally noticed the damn things today, and thought of Hastings. Now every time I see the fucking things, I will be thinking of Hastings :angry:.

--
H

Claudia P

Stunt Coordinator
I first saw these at the markets in Singapore three years ago. They sold adult sizes. Now I wish I had bought a pair. Just think of the fun I could be having in WalMart... ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
;) and then we'd have a NEW problem. I have a hard enough time with the people who DON'T bother me at Wal-Mart, let alone someone who is purposely trying to.

Users who are viewing this thread