What's new

The new enemy of the HD Formats is Noise Reduction! (1 Viewer)

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
anamorphic scope is soooo nice, I miss it dearly on new films

for those wondering, Space Cowboys is a fine beautiful example of a scope film on HD-DVD (as is Omage Man for that matter)

-Gary

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Definitely agree about Space Cowboys. Jack Green is one of the great unsung heros of Cinematography. His work on Serenity is also quite good, even though it was shot super 35.

Doug

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
What do you folks think about "We Were Soldiers" and "Chicago"? I for one was very pleased to finally see the "fabric" of these films on HD. On DVD, the images just fell apart.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A shame, really, since the merits of Super35 and 'scope could be debated if only the discs were faithful to what was originally shot. The clean look of digital films is as much a style as the gritty look of say, "Dog Day Afternoon."

All I ask is that the film look like it was clean/well preserved, and projected by a professional.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Face/Off did look pretty bad. I usually don't notice these sorts of things(I still have trouble spotting EE on a lot of titles), but it was painfully obvious on that one. And that was while watching it on my 32" LCD screen. I don't wanna imagine how bad it looks on my 60" SXRD.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

I'm no expert on HD noise reduction etc. but I did happen to see a Blu-ray demo of POTC: At World's End at my local Virgin Megastore (or Zavvi or whatever it's called) last Friday and I was surprised by just how much grain I saw on this movie. It was actually quite distracting, not the grain per se but the way it kept shifting between cuts. I realise it's supposed to be there, but I can see why a lot of people are put off when they expect HD to present a "better" picture. To my eyes the SD-DVD looks a lot better on my 28" Panasonic CRT.

If people are seeing downsides to the PQ of HD media then I'm guessing they'll see even less of a reason to upgrade.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Too badd!
Tried to warn people about these problems before.
Was shot down.

Now its too late.
We have HD Disc titles that have been released with garbage transfers.
It's our own fault for not demanding this NEVER happened to HD Disc.

People brought DVD's w/EE & now people buy HD Discs w/EE (and worse!).
What does the studio care?
It is just money in the bank.

I brought "2001" on HD, cause the reviews said no EE.
Pop in the disc...
there's EE!

Lighter than I'd seen B4,
butt that's NOT why I'm spending $$$ on HD!!! :-(
This S U C K S ! ! !

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

So, you'd rather stick with 480i?

HDM is not 100% perfect, but it is a HUGE improvement over DVD. There is absoutely no comparison in quality with the vast majority of discs.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
I don't think that is what Ed was saying, just that we don't have to stand for it, sticking up for quality is a life pursuit for me ;)

no excuss for this NR/EE crap, I do realize that it is most likely master related and that studios can't strike up a new master for each HD/BD release, most of the masters were made during DVD days and many times have NR/EE, Universal has a serious problem with EE for example, I have seen many of their films on HD movie channels and they are just the same, EE city, they need to switch mastering houses

-Gary

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In what way were you "shot down"? Was there some practical plan of action you were proposing that people refused to consider?

M.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam

I have the disc and on my 56" calibrated DLP the edge enhancement was noticeable but not during every scene. The screen captures do tend to exaggerate it. Also, the DNR was not nearly as bad as it looks on the comparison shots seen around the net, but it is for sure still there.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Thanks Captainjoe. I tend to find that the people who screen to the heavens about edge enhancement tend to see things that I don't because I'm to busy watching the movie. I'll go ahead and pick this one up. One of my favorite "creature feature" films.

Doug

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
No. I'd rather stick to other films with decent HD masters. If I must see this one I can rent. Buying crap means promoting crap.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I am not so sure about this. Not buying a movie because of a transfer you don't like will not give the studios the feedback necessary. Especially with older and catalogue titles they will only get the impression you did not like the movie and therefore might not continue to release this kind of movies.

It would be nice to be able to put a lot of pressure on the studios when they release subpar stuff like it was done with Sony and 5th Element. But usually the HT community is not that vocal about things, which is hurting us in the long run and a "good enough" attitude prevails with many of us.

I have watched quite a few subpar titles so far where hardly any review or forum discusses issues like EE and DNR applied to the transfer. Makes it hard to create an awareness with the studios that things could be better.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

When I proposed we should be on the lookout for EE & filtering (just like on SD DVD), I got posts stating HD Disc was a "new" format and there was no need to worry about problems from an "old" format continuing.

No "plan of action"; just my tried & true: "DON"T BUY IT"!!! ;-)

Thanks for asking.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying you then found "EE and DNR" in the transfers?
I H A T E that!!!
On the other hand, luv it when an older title scores like 3.5 out of 5 (w/o EE & filtering) and I like it. Or, I am at least happy enough will the title at the price I paid! :)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I am. Money talks still the loudest. You can do more, of course (such as writing letters, posting on websites...).
Of course it's better to give studios more precise feedback then just "do not like and do not buy". They might in the end figure you want even more EE and DNR since it was still too fuzzy and noisy. :laugh:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Yep, they will probably think: Gee - those low sales numbers probably were because it was not sharp enough - people cannot really see it is clean and sharp HD so let's slap on some more EE and DNR to give them what they want ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks