What's new

The new Dr Who is............ (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Hell, a lot of people would want to forget Davison and go back to Tom Baker.

Personally, I grew up watching Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, and I would be sad if they were dismissed. Sure, they weren't always great, but McCoy definitely improved, and was quite good by the end.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thought I'd resurrect this thread for this little bit of news:

No Daleks in Doctor Who's return

Apparently, it is a disagreement between the BBC and Terry Nation's estate. The BBC wants the estate to give up some of their control over the Daleks that they've traditionally had. I can see both sides of the story here. The BBC wants to have the ability to take the Daleks in new directions, and the TN estate wants to protect the intelectual property...

Jason

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
The Dalek problem boils down to the BBC and the TN Estate both holding rights in the Daleks. The BBC owns the design AFAIR, and TN own the characters. The BBC licensed the use of their likeness in Looney Tunes Back In Action, which pissed off TNE royally (although I'm sure WB still have existing film rights to the Daleks via the Gordon Flemyng movies). TNE wanted editorial control of any new story (as well as lucrative terms for the characters).

Faced with any late author's estate trying to pull an Edgar Rice Burroughs, I think film and tv companies are always best walking away.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I just read that the first day of filming for the new series took place yesterday (Monday 7/19) in Wales.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
If you want to see the Doctor's costume, click here. Outpost Gallifrey have a shot from a news item from BBC Wales that shows Ecclestone and Billie Piper (as the companion Rose) in their costumes, along with Russell T Davies. They're obviously not going for the quirky costume - it's an ordinary looking leather jacket. Which makes me sad in a way. But then, as long as the stories are good, the costume doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks