What's new

The NEW Anthem AVM-20 Thread (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Alex,

Check section 4.2.1. Sounds like you should be all set.

Robert,

It sure is an impressive unit.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Alex, Legairre is right...just to let you know you didn't waste over 2 grand...

Section 4.2.1 (at the very bottom)

Digital Rec-Out can provide a signal to the digital audio input of a Mini Disk recorder, CD-R, etc., from any Source set to "digital" or "anlg-DSP", except 6-Ch S/E (see sections 7.4.2 and 7.4.3).

(edit in post) - Alex, I re-read your post and now it seems contradictory to me. I looked at the back panel of the AVM-20 and it does seem that there is no TOSLINK digital output...only COAX. However, your post says your recorder can handle COAX or TOSLINK digital out (which the Anthem has), however, if it can ONLY handle TOSLINK, you might have a problem.

Hope that helps.

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Evan, Legairre,
I've re-edited my original post... My MD recorder CANNOT use Digital COAX only OPTICAL... :frowning:
-Alex
PS. Your thoughts on the "DAVISONE" preamp from the other thread? NOT that I'm jumping ship, I just wanted to know your thoughts...

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice the warning in the manual not to use a power conditioner with the AVM20? I have a Monster HTS2000, which I think is nothing more than a glorified powerstrip but I wonder if it will work with the AVM20.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Alex, my thoughts on the Davis One? For the money they are charging, the feature set is pretty unbelievably good. With that being said, I would be hesitant to purchase anything of that cost from a company with no reputation, history or dealer network. Hell, there are thousands of incredible reviews about the Swan Diva speakers...yet for $400, I'm STILL hesitant to even get their 2.1 bookshelf speakers for my bedroom because I can't hear them first and where do I send them if something goes wrong? Same thing with the Davis Lab. I just could never justify spending $3K on a unit I couldn't hear first and would have to send halfway across the country for service. Call me crazy. No thanks, I'll stick with the Anthem.

Sorry to hear about your problem with the Mini-Disk. Maybe it's not too late to consider alternatives? Or do they make Mini-Disk players today with Coax inputs?

BruceD

Screenwriter
Alex,

Getting a coax-to-optical coverter is quite simple, it is a relatively small little box the size of a pack of cigarettes.

I believe most professional music stores carry them, or many of the music equipment web-sites.

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,
Interesting news... Davis Labs might be Sherwood!!! :)
Read on:
Davis Labs info:
Of interesting news, I was just checking out their website and came across "Our Members" and it lists the KEY employees...
It lists, Juck Hur, CEO Davis Labs and also happens to be President and CEO of Sherwood USA...!!!! Here check it out!!!
Maybe this is the "High End" Sherwood Pre/Pro???!?!?!? :D
Inquiring minds do WANT to know!!! :D
-Alex
Here's the link:
http://www.davislab.com/about_02.htm

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,

Thanks for the info, this MIGHT not be the deal breaker for me... BUT the Davis Labs/ Sherwood might...

-Alex

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Memo to the group buy participants of the AVM-20....
I recently spoke to our contact at the dealer. Seems that Anthem (the company) is moving the headquarters of their operations as we speak. Seeing as they are in the middle of transporting their facilities, they are doing no invoicing of any Anthem product for another 10 days or so...which obviously includes our processors. So, just to let you know, there will be a slight delay in receiving the units and it may not arrive on your doorstep until after the 10th of March at the earliest. Hope this is not too big of an inconvenience.:angry: :frowning: :thumbsdown: :frowning: :angry:

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone put together a comparision chart of the AVM-20 to this new Davis Labs pre/pro? That sure would be nice to have/see.

Thanks.

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
By all means this is NOT a complete list but here goes (casual comparison):
DPL II (Winner - Davis)
DTS EX (Winner - Davis)
Digital connectors IN/OUT (Winner - Davis)
Newest Motorola DSP (Winner - Davis)
Connections (Winner - Davis)
Upgradability (Winner - SF Anthem via past upgrades and promised upgrades)
Reputable company (winner - SF Anthem been around for long time and proven products, eg AVM2)
Support (Winner - SF Anthem Canadian/Stateside answer questions with promptly and with confidence)
Analog Bypass (Winner SF Anthem, Davis does not offer????)
Price (Tie - Both units MSRP around $3K)
Hopefully most of these questions will be answered/addressed by both Anthem and Davis Labs shortly... I've sent them each email with regards to technical and logistical issues... Kudos goes to SF/Anthem for their quick reply!!! :) Davis Labs where are you?
All, please feel free to "chime" in and add your 2 cents to if I've left anything off... :D
-Alex

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about the previous post regarding Sherwood - Davis Labs, I was a little TOO excited to see a "supposed" U.S. connection!!! :b

-Alex

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
DPL II (Winner - Davis)

DTS EX (Winner - Davis)

Newest Motorola DSP (Winner - Davis)
I don’t think the Davis should be considered the winner on these 3 points, because the Anthem is ALSO going to use the newest Motorola DSP when it’s available, and it will ALSO have DPL II and DTS EX when that happens. The Davis prepro is as dependent on the availability of the new Motorola DSP as the Anthem is for these features.

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
According to smr-home-theatre.org, the DavisLab Processor One will be available in second quarter 2002. Which about the same time we should see the AVM20 upgrade if not sooner. One thing the Processor One has over the AVM20 is a built in video processing w/Faroudja DCDi.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Yea,

I'm not so sure Motorola DSP is necessarily a winner. Currently the rave reviews of Cirrus/Crystal DSP used in Lexicon MC-12 and Outlaw may challenge any benefit derived by the Motorola name (especially since they are very late in implementation).

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
To tell you the truth, you are absolutely correct in bashing Motorola here on the delay of the chipset for DPL II and DTS-ES. There are plenty of manufacturers still using Motorola to provide the DSP for their units, so singling out Sonic Frontiers for choosing Motorola is pointless and they will obviously learn their lesson with any future chip upgrade. With that being said, the benefits of the Anthem are that you can get it NOW if you don't have a pressing need for these extra features. These other units that depend on this chipset (The new Sunfire Pre/Pro and the Davis Labs unit) will have to be delayed until Motorola gets their asses straight. Also, because Anthem is raising the price of the unit by the cost of the upgrade, they keep the price down for those of us who may not need it now or may want to delay in getting the upgrade. Why don't we wait until it comes out to hear how it SOUNDS before passing judgement?

Brandon B

Second Unit
The Davis engineer posting on the AVS Davis thread made a comment that if Motorola continnued to drag its feet on the code issues, one of Davis' early upgrades would be to considering a swap out of their DSP's for some Cirrus/Crystals (easily done with their card setup).

BB

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Brandon, I read that too about Davis' maybe going another direction down the road if Motorola keeps dragging.

This is neither an advantage/disadvantage for either unit as the Anthem is set up very similarly to the Davis unit. Both processors utilize a motherboard/daughter card setup. The upgrade to the Anthem has been described as swapping out two screws, popping a card in there, replacing the screws and you are all set. So, if Motorola keeps dragging their feet on this issue, I guarantee Sonic Frontiers will find another chip provider and would be able to do a very similar upgrade. This affects both processors the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks