The myth of digital video editing on an apple

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Seth--L, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

For a production class this semester I'm going to have to do quite of bit of digital video editing - I'm shooting a documentary on DV. Since the doc is going to take a while to edit, it made sense to edit it on my computer so I could edit whenever I wanted for however long I wanted. I have a PC though - Dell Inspiron 4150, 2.2GHz pentium, 32MB video card, 1GB RAM, Windows XP - and it seemed like it was common knowledge that if you're going to do digital video editing, a Mac was the best choice. So I asked some industry people what they thought about editing on my PC, and they all said sure, it shouldn't be a problem. So I purchased Avid Xpress DV Pro, and sure enough, it runs perfectly smoothly, no notable difference between running it on my PC than on a G4 (I've played around with it on a G5, but haven't compared rendering time).

People still gasp in disbelief when I tell them that I'm doing the editing on a PC. People in my class too still can't get over it (I'm the only PC owner out of the 8 of us).

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Actually, the 'new hotshot mac' would definitely be a lot faster than your 18 month old pc, though I doubt they have one, as they are highly expensive.

4. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Christ Reynolds,

You're thinking of the G5. I'm going to try and do a rendering time comparison soon with the one in our lab. I suspect the G5 will beat out my PC. At the same time, most of the Avid fx that you would want something as fast as a G5 for I'll probably rarely use.

I think that Microsoft has finally eliminated almost all problems with plugging external devices into the computer with Windows XP (no more conflict errors or having to download a dozen drivers). This is obviously helpful with digital editing when connecting a DV camera or DV tape deck to the computer. For all of two minutes I couldn't figure out why Avid wouldn't let me capture video to my external hard drive. Immediately a mac owner thought it was a Windows driver issue...

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

6. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

No. Sorry if this sounds confusing: when you go to capture video there's a drop down bar where you can select which hard disk you want the video saved on. My external hard drive was grayed out, but it was plugged in and working fine. After trying to select it for two minutes with no success, I consulted the help file. The default setting for Avid purposely do not allow you to dump to an external drive. I had to go elsewhere in the program and make my external an option for dumping video when capturing. It seems odd that this was a default setting since most users are probably using an external disk for raw footage - only recently have 150+GB drives become standard features in desktops, and I don't think anyone makes a laptop with even a 100GB hard drive.

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

9. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

10. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

You have to use both at once to capture.

Greg,

Thanks, but read my post. I figured this out after two minutes[​IMG]

Avid should put that in the tutorial. Like I said before, I'm sure that a significant number of users are using external hard drives and probably run into this situation when they first go to capture.

11. gregstaten

Sean, as I mentioned, it depends upon the hard drive. I rarely have to disable that option because of the drives I have on my system (primarily Ultra SCSI 320 or Fibrechannel depending upon which system I'm editing on). Only if you have a drive that Avid doesn't recognize will you have to disable that.

BTW - the reason that option exists is that Avid guarantees a level of performance for qualified hardware. For example, on the system configuration I work on, I can get five streams of uncompressed video. If I push it I can get eight, but five is pretty much a given.

-greg

12. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

13. gregstaten