What's new

The mutant evolution of a DVD: "X-Men" 2 disc set coming! (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
www.dvdfile.com is reporting what we all knew was coming, a 2 disc special edition of the eXcellent "X-Men" film from Bryan Singer. Here's the details;
"With the big X-sequel X-Men 2 due to hit theaters next spring, Fox Home Entertainment will prime the pump on February 11th with the long-awaited new X-Men 1.5 Collector's Edition, a 2-disc re-release of the original Bryan Singer blockbuster.
Disc one features a new Singer introduction to the theatrical version of the film (a long-planned new cut has been scrapped), no less than 24 deleted scenes, and an audio commentary by Singer and actors Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman.
Disc two features another intro from Singer, the featurettes "The Making Of X-Men: Part 1 (Origin Of The X-Men)", "Part 2 (The Uncanny Suspects)", "Part 3 (X-Factor)", "Part 4 (Shooting X-Men)" and "Part 5 (Remembering The X-Men)," and a gaggle of promo items including 3 trailers, 13 TV spots, 11 Internet interstitials, an "X-Men 2" teaser trailer and a short "Behind the Scenes of X-Men 2" special. Retail is $26.95."
Where are the technical specs though? Will it be a dual widescreen/full screen release or just WS only? Will that DTS track be included? If Mr. Staddon pops in, please let us know.
Anyway, I am SOOOOO buying this!

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one bitterly disappointed that the new cut has been scrapped? My main complaint with the film was that it felt like it was lacking something substantial, and I'd hoped that a new cut would at least partially rectify that.

Regardless of the commentary and deleted scenes (which are enticing) I'll skip this release, and keep my original disc. They won't be able to improve on the picture/sound quality.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I will be getting the new dvd as I skipped the original release. 24 deleted scenes is quite a lot.
Can't wait for this one
:D

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Was really looking forward to a Director's Cut but since that has been scrapped, no mention of DTS I think i'll just keep the original.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Gosh, how can you pass up a commentary, ****24**** deleted scenes, multiple featurettes, etc????? This set sounds fantastic!

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
X-Men SE will feature DTS sound !

From DVDFILE :

With the big X-sequel X-Men 2 due to hit theaters next spring, Fox Home Entertainment will prime the pump on February 11th with the long-awaited new X-Men 1.5 Collector's Edition, a 2-disc re-release of the original Bryan Singer blockbuster. Presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen only with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, the extras are plentiful. Disc one features a new Singer introduction to the theatrical version of the film (a long-planned new cut has been scrapped), no less than 24 deleted scenes, and an audio commentary by Singer and actors Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman. Disc two features another intro from Singer, the featurettes "The Making Of X-Men: Part 1 (Origin Of The X-Men)", "Part 2 (The Uncanny Suspects)", "Part 3 (X-Factor)", "Part 4 (Shooting X-Men)" and "Part 5 (Remembering The X-Men)," and a gaggle of promo items including 3 trailers, 13 TV spots, 11 Internet interstitials, an "X-Men 2" teaser trailer and a short "Behind the Scenes of X-Men 2" special. Retail is $26.95.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
All I care about for this release is:
Please please PLEASE tell me they've fixed the worst line in action-movie history! PLEASE!!*
[SIZE= 8pt](* Storm's extraordinarily bad delivery of the "Do you know what happens to a toad..." line)

:)[/SIZE]

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
lease please PLEASE tell me they've fixed the worst line in action-movie history! PLEASE!!*
(* Storm's extraordinarily bad delivery of the "Do you know what happens to a toad..." line)
And to think, I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Everytime I see that scene I just gasp and think "This is an Academy Award winning actress." :rolleyes:
Bad line, bad delivery.
Will wait for reviews before I purchase this one though. 24 deleted scenes sure is tempting. :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Much as the line is horrible, I'd hate to see it changed without a completely new cut of the film. If they are marketting this as the original cut, that's what it should be.

I'll be getting this release, but I'm sad to hear a new cut has been derailed. I wonder if it will never come to pass.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
O: It's funny that the only lines I really remember from that movie are that one and Storm's toad comment.
Joss Whedon wrote that line, AND the BEST line in the film ("you're a dick") it's not his fault that Oscar Queen screwed it up :)
From The Onion AV Club: http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub...ture_3731.html
O: It's funny that the only lines I really remember from that movie are that one and Storm's toad comment.
JW: Okay, which was also mine, and that's the interesting thing. Everybody remembers that as the worst line ever written, but the thing about that is, it was supposed to be delivered as completely offhand. [Adopts casual, bored tone.] "You know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning?" Then, after he gets electrocuted, "Ahhh, pretty much the same thing that happens to anything else." But Halle Berry said it like she was Desdemona. [Strident, ringing voice.] "The same thing that happens to everything eeelse!" That's the thing that makes you go crazy. At least "You're a dick" got delivered right. The worst thing about these things is that, when the actors say it wrong, it makes the writer look stupid. People assume that the line... I listened to half the dialogue in Alien 4, and I'm like, "That's idiotic," because of the way it was said. And nobody knows that. Nobody ever gets that. They say, "That was a stupid script," which is the worst pain in the world. I have a great long boring story about that, but I can tell you the very short version. In Alien 4, the director changed something so that it didn't make any sense. He wanted someone to go and get a gun and get killed by the alien, so I wrote that in and tried to make it work, but he directed it in a way that it made no sense whatsoever. And I was sitting there in the editing room, trying to come up with looplines to explain what's going on, to make the scene make sense, and I asked the director, "Can you just explain to me why he's doing this? Why is he going for this gun?" And the editor, who was French, turned to me and said, with a little leer on his face, [adopts gravelly, smarmy, French-accented voice] "Because eet's een the screept." And I actually went and dented the bathroom stall with my puddly little fist. I have never been angrier. But it's the classic, "When something goes wrong, you assume the writer's a dork." And that's painful.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll just keep the original DVD. For one thing, I got a used copy for $8 which already has KICKASS audio/video. Maybe I will give the new version a rent, but I think I will keep the "old" version.
Just as a note to FOX (Peter can you hear me?), if they were to give, say, $5 off this release for owning the old release... I MIGHT pick it up ;)

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
I was hoping to be able to resist this one. The movie's good, but not great, and I've already got the 1 disc. But with both "Picard" and "James Whale/Richard III" on the commentary, I cannot resist.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
My original R1 copy has been gone for a year now in anticipation of this release. I, for one, can't wait for the deleted scenes (hopefully anamorphic this time) and the dts track.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yep - I'll keep my copy too. The extras on the new one are nice but not enough to entice.

A new cut of the movie would.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Count me in for the new disc. I only got the original for $9, so I'm not heartbroken.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I passed on the original, so I'll be getting the SE, and by the way, 24 deleted scenes?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks