What's new

The most insaine & exciting week of my DVD buying life (ET, Spidey, Clones & Rings) (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Thanks for the news. Can anyone confirm whether or not the scene in the forest before Lorien is cut or not as I've heard elsewhere. I really liked the moment where Gimli says "I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox" and soon find an arrow pointing in his face.

And is it true that Boromir isn't given a gift at Lorien?

Also, can anyone tell me what the packaging of the ExE looks like. Is it smooth or textured like leather? Is the back cover printed on, or is it a removable sheet of paper (as I'm hoping)?

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Does the removable sheet of paper come off easily, or it is one of those where you risk ripping the packaging if you're not extremely careful?

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I think the removable sheet just fell off when I unwrapped the plastic off the box..I am not sure if it was affixed at all.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I really liked the moment where Gimli says "I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox" and soon find an arrow pointing in his face
No, that's all still there. What is cut short is the interplay between Haldir and the gang. What you see in it's place, is an evening scene with them all on a flet up in the trees. It's basically the same kind of thing, but just a lot more detailed. Aragorn has to convince Haldir to let them go further.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Jeremy,
My copy and the second one I passed on to Rob were both US R1 copies of the gift set.
I think the removable sheet just fell off when I unwrapped the plastic off the box
That's correct. It's secured to the gift set under the shrinkwrap, once that removes it falls off. It's not physicaly stuck to the box in any way, which is great because I have every intent ot storing the gift set box safe. It's lovely.
Early thoughts on supplements:
I have done the TERRIFIC cast commentary. More on this tomorrow, but it's absolutely wonderful, everyone is there for comment except for Mortensen and Weaving. The Hobbits are recorded together and there is some wonderful banter between the group, the rest are edited in seperately.
I have gone through most of disc 3 (I have the costume documentary and stills galleries left to do on this disc) and really, this is the most comprehensive making of a movie you will ever own. I highly doub't it will ever be outdone, and if it is, it will only be outdone with the multi-disc editions of Two Towers and Return of the King.
The more I examine FOTRs transfer the more I think less of AOTC because you all know how when I first saw AOTC in LA I loved the detail in clothing? Well, I do, but FOTR has it too, detail like that is truly not fault of a pristine digital transfer. What people hail about AOTC is how clean and free of grain it is, not a speck of hair or anything... Wlel, if that floats your boat, fine, its a solid transfer, but my preference is FOTR.
Dan

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I've gone through the documentaries today. Very, very nice indeed, though I did find myself wanting more detailed information on some things, especially the audio aspects. And a VERY nice touch here - a 'play all' option for each of the supplemental discs. None of the T2-style carpal-tunnel inducing button whacking here. There's even an intro by Elijah Wood explaining how it works!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Keep posting those thoughts guys!

Went to TTT exhibit at ROM today in Toronto. The detailing on the clothes and weaponry is unbelievable.

Glad I was able to see close up.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Lou,

How much longer is TTT exhibit there? I meant to go see the FOTR exhibit last Oct-Nov but didn't get there either. I've been to the ROM a few times...it's an amazing place.

Now, about the addition they are putting on .... well, I'm not too fond of what it will look like.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Rob you may be right about Mortensen's dialogue at Rivendell, I need to check the theatrical edition in comparison. Obviously Boromir's delivery of his words from the theatrical cut is all new given it's a longer take for all that....etc.

Dan

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Jeremy - it's there for the month of November. Definitely worth it if you are the slightest bit of a fan.

The only disappointments I had were the Helm's Deep recreation and the video supplements. The video bits are the two previews all ready available.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
There's even an intro by Elijah Wood explaining how it works!
Is that on disc 4? PJ does the intro on disc 3. Cool! I love the way each documentary really is just one big 6hr thing. They pretty much cover every working production department in this thing.

Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Just finished the exceptional Director/writers commentary. I have to say this, for a film of such a lnegth, the commentaries I have done so far (this and the cast one) move at an incredibly brisk pace, with a lot of information about all aspects of production. This is a great track, with informative and funny stories from PJ, Walsh and Boyens.

It's especially interesting to listen to their approach in altering many of the book's elements, and it's interesting to hear that New Line were a little more pushy in some areas than some would believe (though to their credit, the seemed to relent most of the time).

Interestingly for nitpickers, PJ claims to still never being able to see any "car" in the distance in that one shot.

Dan

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Dan, you mentioned earlier that the gift set includes a ticket for TTT. How does this work?? Can it be used for any performance in any theater? Just curious what the restrictions are.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The ticket is useless for me given I have the R1 set (though please nobody ask for mine as I have every intention to keep it with the rest of the content of my set)... The list of participating US cinemas is HUGE, far too many to list here in this thread.

The ticket is valid from Dec 18th to the 31st for an admission cost of up to £10.50. Not for resale, blah blah blah...etc.

Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I forgot to mention an especially notable point of interest PJ makes in the commentary. Gollum clearly looks different in The Two Towers, and to reflect upon this PJ does state that there will come a time where they will go back and revise Gollum's look in fellowship. We've not seen the last of FOTR on DVD. :D
Dan

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
and to reflect upon this PJ does state that there will come a time where they will go back and revise Gollum's look in fellowship. We've not seen the last of FOTR on DVD.
Ah! I hope he doesn’t get the Lucas syndrome too. To this point he has done right everything that Lucas hasn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks