What's new

"The Monster Squad" coming to DVD in 2007? Yes, according to this guy (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Until it's announced by the studio itself, it's nothing more than rumor.

Look, I started this thread so it should be obvious that I would love nothing more than a SE for "The Monster Squad" but I refuse to get excited over rumors. Lions Gate is one of the last studios I'd want handling this release, their track record, dating back to Artisan is shabby and considering the president of Artisan's home entertainment division now has the same job at Lions Gate, yes I do believe there is reason to be doubtful BUT I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

I'll say it right now, IF Lions Gate does own "The Monster Squad" and IF it is indeed a special edition that presents the film in it's OAR, I will be right here saying I was wrong to have my doubts. Until then, based on the facts (or lack thereof) I believe everything I have said is not only reasonable but rational and realistic.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well I will be at a convention this weekend and the following Monster Squad people will be attending....

-Fred Dekker (Writer/Director)
-Duncan Regehr (Dracula)
-Andre Gower (Sean)
-Ashley Bank (Phoebe)
-Ryan Lambert (Rudy)
-Tom Woodruff Jr. (The Gillman)
-Tom Noonan (Frankenstein)

I am sure info about the dvd will be discussed. And I will take pics of the cast and post them if I have a chance.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

That's not good enough. You're already implying that IF Lionsgate is doing the release that it is most likely it will be a waste of money. I don't care if you say you're right or wrong, I care about the immediate impact you're having on the interest of people paying attention to this thread and how it might affect the release itself. I care about the OAR as much as you do, but I'm not going to come down on our potential benefactors before they've had a chance to even prepare the DVD.

Just as you said yourself, everything is constantly changing. The last thing you want to do is give them reason for caution on investing time/money/resources on this release. So yes, I absolutely think you're being unreasonable because you're biting the hand before you saw what it had to feed you.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Alright!!!! Thanks, Todd! I'm glad to see Duncan Regehr is still promoting the film, as I used to enjoy watching his incarnation of Zorro.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Well if said hand has given me crap before, it's only natural to have a sniff before digging in again.

Anyway, before this REALLY turns ugly and the mods want to step in, I'll just step back for a while so the thread stays open. That way it can be updated when the real news is announced (or isn't.)

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
I have returned....to bring....

**BIG DVD News from MonsterMania Con!**

From MonsterMania's David Hagen and the Director Fred Dekker came the announcement that:

~Monster Squad will be on DVD from LionsGate in October! ~

Dekker promised the fans in attendance at the Q&A that the DVD started out as a "barebones" DVD release but LionsGate who knows there is a following for the film, decided along with the director to make it a "loaded special edition DVD"!

From Dekker, things to expect along with the full involvement of the cast:

Commentary
Interviews
The film in its OAR!! (2.35:1) (Dekker specifically made a point with this.
The Q&A that I attended (probably to be titled 'MonsterMania').
The autograph signing sessions were filmed as well.

More details to follow...More to come on the DVD.

This Q&A made my day Saturday. I wound up being a part of this DVD participating in the Q&A and being filmed at the time. All this news was made for a surpise announcement at the Q&A. It seems the cast and director together, have been staying tight and close to one another to work on this DVD. The atmosphere at the Q&A proved there is something special going on with this tight cast and crew.

P.S. Maybe MODS, we might want to change the title of this thread or make a point of this news post so a fan might find it easily..

P.P.S. Also the director was asked about a DVD for Night of the Creeps to which he stated " there is nothing planned but knock on wood." And by the way The Monster Squad was shown after the Q&A. The source format being the broadcast from Monsters HD. Not to mention this source was on all BOOT DVD's being sold at the convention.

It was a very cool day all around.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
We're getting a commentary, interviews, featurettes and OAR? With the involvement of the cast too? WHAT A SHOCK! ;-)

Thanks a lot for the post, Tim! This is great news for Monster Squad fans everywhere and I'm just happy to see so much patience paid off. I still hope they have some luck in finding extra film material or manage to get Shane Black's participation, but this is definitely enough to suffice. Between Monster Squad, Night of the Comet, El Topo and Holy Mountain... this has been a year of DVD miracles. Now if only we can convince Sony to release Night of the Creeps and MGM to re-instate their Midnight Movies line. There are still so many titles that deserve a release.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Good news on the dvd , but man October is a long way off yet.I was hoping for an early summer release, but good things come to those who wait I guess.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Was at the show and met the cast. Very nice. Looking forward to the dvd release.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
First of all, I'm SO GLAD I have been proven wrong!

Second, something from that article in the previous post bothers me.

I see this time and again. Someone "in the know" refers to this or that title being owned by some anonymous studio. Why don't they just SAY WHICH STUDIO OWNS IT???????????? so fans can send in thousands of letters, e-mails and what not so the studio knows there is a demand for it? For cryin' out loud.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I suspect it's Warner/HBO, based on the IMDb listing. I understand the history of Monster Squad's rights a lot better than this one, so anyone else is welcome to comment.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
We know who owns it, as Fred Dekker made it clear over the last year while spreading word regarding write-in campaigns. Michael is just being professional by not saying who when he's largely admitting to the studio's stubborn attitude towards the film. It's Sony and for those of you not keeping tabs, their home video division has made it very clear they are no longer interested in releasing films older than 10 years. This is precisely the reason MGM broke off and joined Fox Home Entertainment.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
from fangoria.com

Lionsgate Home Entertainment .... 20th Anniversary DVD special edition of Fred Dekker’s THE MONSTER SQUAD will be released July 24. The movie will be presented in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio for the first time ever on North American video; the special features are:
• Audio commentary by writer/director Dekker and cinematographer Bradford May
• Audio commentary by Dekker and actors Andre Gower, Ashley Bank and Ryan Lambert
• Wolf Man’s Got Nards! The Making of THE MONSTER SQUAD documentary
• Deleted and extended scenes
• Monster Mania reunion featurette
• Vintage interview with Tom Noonan (in Frankenstein’s monster makeup!)
• Poster and still gallery
• Theatrical trailer
• TV spot

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks