What's new

The Mod Squad Season One (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It's just nice to see that there's a lot of interest in this show, judging by the # of posts in just 24 hours. I hope that means that it'll sell. Personally, if it's reasonably priced (for the half season, meaning they don't try to charge more than about $25 full retail) I will definitely get it. Actually, if it's CBS, they're doing ok with follow-up sets. I hope they are serious about bringing the whole series to dvd, as well as Dynasty and their other Aaron Spelling properties.

Real Name
Jim
The only thing good about this show was to be able to occasionally see Peggy Lipton in miniskirts. Other than that, it had cool theme music. :cool:

I wonder if Peggy was any good on the Twin Peaks series in the early 1990s? I've never seen that show.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I've not really seen it since it was on ABC and I look forward to getting it. Whatever seasons they give us are a nice surprise.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
This is one I am happy to add to my collection this coming holiday season!!!!!!

I have always liked The Mod Squad since its 1968-73 ABC run. In fact, I even picked up a few VHS tapes back in the early/mid-1990s of a few volumes of episodes--as well as the original 1968 TMS pilot which had not been seen since its original airing and then-recently re-discovered and released on VHS separately from the VHS tape collection as produced at the time.

When I first heard the good news about the S1, P1 release, I pulled out and watched my old VHS tape of the original uncut pilot. The memories of my enjoyment of this show--as well as a lot of late 1960s-early 1970s television--came back to give me a big smile on my face. :)

I surely look forward to adding this to my DVD TV collection--even if it has to be in piecemeal form regarding two-part season releases!!!!! As with The Fugitive and Time Tunnel, I shall make the exception in this case.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Some really neat extras on the set with interviews with Michael Cole and Peggy Lipton. And the remastering looks great. I can't wait for more sets.

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
I bought the set and it looks great. The whole split season thing is a bit annoying. Does anyone know why they do that (aside from the pat answer that they can make more $$). There has to be a reason. Is CBS the only company to do this.

The only thing I'm bummed about is that Clarence Williams III is not in any of the new interviews. I'm not sure why.

BTW...it started out as THE Mod Squad and in season three it just went by MOD SQUAD so everybody is right. I have a bunch of them from 16mm that I burned to DVD and just checked a season three episode. That is when the credits changed too and you see a very sweaty Michael Cole running in the beginning. What were they running from anyway. One of my favorite themes of all time but kind of a goofy opening credit if you ask me. :)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

as a kid, I never saw the pilot episode so I also wondered what the deal with the running was. But they are running around the Apex Warehouse that Tige was using as a makeshift Undercover police academy. I think this was a training exercise with Tige chasing after them (since he bursts out of the door at the end).

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
It is so funny. I live in Chicago and it looks like those construction sites downtown where they have the scaffolding errected and all the plywood walls set up. It's like he jumps out of that and what if some poor lady just happened to be walking by...WHACK! The kids are funny too, they seem to be carrying Julie who looks so petrified that she's about to pass out. :) Fun stuff.

D

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I picked up my copy on time this past Tuesday evening, braving unusually thick, cold, damp conditions to make the purchase. Once I finally sat down to run through the episodes, I was impressed!!!!

I noticed "The Teeth Of The Barracuda" was re-edited in some spots from the original pilot I have on VHS tape yet carried a long-enough running time to suggest that maybe it had a 90-minute opening episode time slot? On my old VHS tape, Captain Greer seemed more adversarial with the trio as opposed to the actually-aired episode included on this fine-looking DVD set.

Nonetheless, all is well with me on this one. The coloring seems very well-remastered and I am fine with the standard Dolby Digital processing as is considering the source material derived from its time on the air nearly 40 years ago.

And I was also happy to see Michael Cole and Miss Peggy in the retrospective. But where was Clarence Willams III, pray tell, on the two features????? After all, HE IS STILL WITH US, unlike Tiger Andrews, who has sadly passed on. Great as the retrospects were with Michael and Miss Peggy--who looks stunningly gorgeous in her 60s, BTW :D --not having Clarence's participation took just a little something away of them, IMHO.

Hopefully, in future releases, this can be rectified????? I believe Clarence would bring some serious insight from his part in the series alongside those of Michael's and Miss Peggy's.

Otherwise, keep these cool DVD's coming solid, CBS/Paramount!!! ;) Season One's companion set is DFA March 11, 2008--the same day as Love, American Style's and two weeks after The Fugitive's.

I am looking forward to ALL of them!!!!! :)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this show before but I wouldn't mind buying it. The major problem is that the packaging says that the first season is 26 episodes yet the studio has decided to break up the series into two parts, when they could easily fit the series onto one set.

As usually, the studios continue to screw old fans and new fans alike. All in the name to suck more money out of potential fans of this show.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
As a potential new fan, I too am put off by this split season. Whoever thought of this needs to be fired after being publicly humiliated.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

The unfortunate reality is that some older shows which do not have a big enough following (and THE MOD SQUAD certainly qualifies as one) isn't profitable enough to be sold as one full season for some bargain price. So it's either get two parters and pay a little more, or nothing.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

I don't like the split season,but I will buy Vol.1 and 2 when the next
sale is,I waited for Streets of Sf and got the the whole season for
$41 on sale.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
If that's their policy, I wonder why they split up a famous show like "The Streets of San Francisco", yet "The Willd Wild West" comes complete. Maybe they assume that older shows are more popular, because they've been around longer.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina

Yes, Hank, there are some noted differences between my old VHS tape and the S1 V1 DVD first-episode recently released. When I have the time this weekend, I shall break them both down between the two and post them each for disclosure.

Makes for an interesting perspective from when the pilot was produced to the final actually-aired product itself. :)

kdh1949

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth Hershberger
Universal did a smiliar script recyclyng with an episode of The Rockford Files and another series. Jim Rockford came home after a weekend away with his girlfriend. He took the little girl into the house, but then his girlfriend disappeared and no one could verify that she ever existed. It turned out that the woman had witnessed a murder or other crime at a restaurant/hotel along the way and the murderer followed her back to the house and then disposed of her. So other people besides Aaron Spelling have recycled scripts - nearly verbatim.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
After recently watching this dvd, and never having seen the show before, I was pleasently surprised. Now I'm trying to get over this crush I've developed for Peggy Lipton :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks