What's new

The missing Rankin/Bass Christmas specials... (1 Viewer)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Of the seventeen Christmas-related Rankin/Bass specials out there, eleven are currently available on DVD. This obviously leaves six titles yet to see the light of day on DVD:
  • The First Christmas (1975)
  • The Little Drummer Boy, Book II (1976)
  • The Stingiest Man in Town (1978)
  • Pinnochio's Christmas (1980)
  • The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold (1981)
  • The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (1985)
Non of these titles appear to be pending release, either. Any news on whether or not these will be available on DVD any time soon? Who currently owns the right to these films?
These six will certainly not garner interest like Rudolph or Frosty, but a two disc release with all six films (3 are half hour specials, three are hour specials) may sell well enough.
mike.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I think WB owns all but Pinocchio's Christmas. I believe that one may be owned by Classics Media. Also, Cricket on the Hearth hasn't been released either...that one is one hour and is owned by CM.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'd really like the Life and "Adventures of Santa Claus." I watch it every year on ABC Family, but it'd be great to have to watch anytime during the holidays. I just saw "The First Christmas" for the first time last year, and I really liked that one too. I'd buy a set that included these.

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of years ago I broke down and bought the VHS versions of the above mentioned specials, minus Stingiest Man since I am mainly interested in stop motion. The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus almost reaches the ranks of the best RB. However, it is a rather "dark" christmas tale, and would be hard to sell as traditional family entertainment. Fans of Tim Burton's stop motion would be enthralled.

While we're at it...a release of Willie McBean & His Magic Machine (1965 theatrical film) would seem to be in order. Anchor Bay, come to the rescue, please!

Bloodrainman

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody
Mike Miskulin said:
Of the seventeen Christmas-related Rankin/Bass specials out there, eleven are currently available on DVD. This obviously leaves six titles yet to see the light of day on DVD:
[*] The First Christmas (1975)
[*] The Little Drummer Boy, Book II (1976)
[*] The Stingiest Man in Town (1978)
[*] Pinnochio's Christmas (1980)
[*] The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold (1981)
[*] The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (1985)
[/list] Non of these titles appear to be pending release, either. Any news on whether or not these will be available on DVD any time soon? Who currently owns the right to these films? These six will certainly not garner interest like Rudolph or Frosty, but a two disc release with all six films (3 are half hour specials, three are hour specials) may sell well enough. I wish these missing Christmas Specials come out on box set soon mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks