What's new

The missing musical numbers in "Doctor Dolittle" (1967) (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Were the 2 missing musical numbers ("Where Are the Words?", sung by Anthony Newley and "Something in Your Smile" sung by Rex Harrison) ever included in any incarnation of the film, or were these songs cut long before the film's official release?

There's also an extended duet version of "Beautiful Things" which is on the soundtrack but not in the film. I'd love to see these numbers, which evidently were filmed, included as bonuses should Fox ever release "Dr. Dolittle" on Blu-ray.

A revisited CD reissue of the soundtrack, featuring the full Main Title, etc., would also be good to have.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
1013990_10151624946932779_924535362_n.jpg

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
From reading the book "The Studio" by John Gregory Dunne it went like this: "Something in Your Smile" was cut before the film was even previewed. After the Minneapolis preview (September 8, 1967) the prologue was cut and the animated credits shortened. The second preview was in San Francisco (October 20, 1967); for the final preview, in San Jose (October 21, 1967) "Where Are the Words" was cut and "Beautiful Things" was shortened "to the bone."
I've also read (maybe here at HTF) that Arthur P. Jacobs (producer) widow (actress Natalie Trundy) had his print which supposedly included everything but she loaned it out and never got it back.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Natalie did loan it out and did not get it back.

Another song by Harrison, Sopmething in your smile is also cut. As was a reprise by Samantha Eggar( dubbed ) of Where are the Words (not on the soundtrack lp).
I saw a test screening in New York and that print ran 185 min.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks