What's new

"The Mentalist" season six (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Before last night's episode I was thinking that Kirkland was not Red John, but was working with Red John. I don't recall the specific details, but in season 5 Kirkland killed a man in the hospital who had information regarding Red John, before Jane could question him. Kirkland also interfered with Jane's attempts to question the man when he was placed in an ambulance. At the time I thought he was protecting Red John, but given what was revealed last night, I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense.

Prior to last night's episode my money was on Ray Haffner being Red John partly because he has always been the least likable (to me) of the 7 suspects. The guy just gets under my skin. But since he is in the previews for next week, I'm not so certain now.

The presence of the shadowy group of individuals in California law enforcement has been confirmed; so what relationship does Red John have to that group? Is he a member / founder or is he an adversary? Not really sure. I think the law enforcement group ties in with Bret Stiles and Visualize somehow.

More to think about.

- Walter.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I still think Bob Kirkland will play a part in the final outcome of the Red John story. Since a twin brother (Michael) was mentioned in "Red-Listed" I'm not sure just who it was in the orange jumpsuit at the end, Bob or Michael?

Also, I'm disappointed about the super-secret dirty cop organization using "Tyger Tyger" as a password. Seems lame to me.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Good point about Kirkland having a brother. That has got story potential written all over it. I don't recall if he mentioned to Jane whether the brother was "identical" or "fraternal". I'm guessing identical. Is their relationship as Bob Kirkland portrayed it to Jane or was that Michael Kirkland pulling a fast one?

Really enjoying the pace of the season.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think he said identical, didn't he? Anyway, my supposition that he's Red John may be right after all if his twin was killed. (Or maybe the twin is Red John).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kirkland is too obvious after the hospital killing scene, the twin thing might be something though, maybe he was protecting his twin brother by killing the guy in the hospital.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I still think Stiles is RJ, but the twin thing sure offers a twist opportunity. But if "the other" Kirkland is RJ, I'd expect someone would have recognized him.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well CBS kind of screwed up last night.First, they heavily hype the episode .Then because if the football game, they alter the schedule - pushing back the start time of the evening's lineup by a half hour. But, when the football game goes an additional half hour (like it has practically EVERY time), they decide at the last minute to switch in a rerun. Then to make matters worse, they forgot to switch out the Next Week promo, which included a Major Spoiler. They need to be better

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If that was a rerun, I don't remember it at all. On the East Coast, we got the death of Wayne's father which I had never seen before. Had I missed an episode from last season?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I started watching the episode and I thought it looked familiar. Then Laroche appears and I knew it was an older episode. Once the storyline of the dueling families was introduced I recognized the episode. Had to check IMDB for William Forsythe's appearances on the show and determined it was Season 5, episode 4 "Blood Feud" The copyright date for the episode was 2012.

Yes, CBS's handling of this show flat out sucks. I won't bother rehashing David's breakdown of all the ways CBS screwed up but the bottom line is that they treat this show very poorly. As a fan it is very disappointing. It is bad enough that they treat the show like a step child, but then we finally get into the final leg of the main plot that has driven the show for five and half years and they (CBS) pull this crap. :thumbsdown:

- Walter.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think any show that gets the CBS Sunday night time slot is cursed because of football season. My wife DVRs The Mentalist, and I had to remind her to DVR the local news right after if she wants to be sure to see the ending.

On the Red John matter: I am tired of him and want that thread wrapped up. Patrick can still be the same character whether Red John is around or not. Basically, Patrick is another modern take on Sherlock Holmes. He deduces things and solves cases in much the same way as Holmes; he simply lacks physical courage and adds more psychological awareness to his deductions. He can still be a driven "loner" character with Red John gone.

I think Van Peldt and Rigsby will be killed off. The little moments they keep having about how much they are in love are setting them up to be like the G.I. in WW2 movies who reads the letter from home and always gets gunned down.

I am expecting to be disappointed when Red John is revealed. He has been set up to be some sort of demigod who is actually worshipped by his disciples. I remember the episode where Alicia Witt was a blind panist and said he had "a beautiful soul". This guy has to be someone with powers like "the voice of Saruman" from Lord of the Rings. It will not do if they just arbirarily pick someone asshole on the list who had a bone to pick with Jane. It's one thing for a Charles Manson-type to get into the heads of some drug-addled hippies and convince them to do his will; Red John can make accolytes from every walk of life. The only guy on the list who fit the bill for me has been Brett Stiles because of his position as a charismatic leader of a cult who has experience with brainwashing people.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
David Weicker said:
Well CBS kind of screwed up last night.First, they heavily hype the episode .Then because if the football game, they alter the schedule - pushing back the start time of the evening's lineup by a half hour. But, when the football game goes an additional half hour (like it has practically EVERY time), they decide at the last minute to switch in a rerun. Then to make matters worse, they forgot to switch out the Next Week promo, which included a Major Spoiler. They need to be better

I can only think of one other entity less competent than CBS right now, but we're not supposed to talk politics.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Searched high and low and found this from CBS:

CBS: Please be advised, last night’s original episode of THE MENTALIST “Fire and Brimstone” was replaced with a repeat episode due to our long-running NFL coverage. This episode is now scheduled to air on Sunday, November 10.

"...scheduled to air on Sunday, November 10, if we feel like it." (fixed)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thankfully, I missed the spoiler preview for the next episode.On a side note. I would love to see a crossover with the Mentalist and Elementary.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Steve_Pannell said:
Searched high and low and found this from CBS:

CBS: Please be advised, last night’s original episode of THE MENTALIST “Fire and Brimstone” was replaced with a repeat episode due to our long-running NFL coverage. This episode is now scheduled to air on Sunday, November 10.

"...scheduled to air on Sunday, November 10, if we feel like it." (fixed)
The long-running NFL coverage bumped it out of prime time for the East Coast, so maybe they thought they were doing some people a favor.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really had never seen this episode before, but I have last season's box set on DVD and am wondering if maybe I missed another episode or two during last season. When I get some time, I'll have to start watching last season again to see what ELSE I missed!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just a head's up for fans of the show. Season 1 is available on Blu-Ray today. Mike has a link in the Weekly Roundup for 11-05-13.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
So, we had the delayed episode last night and I think Jane knows as much as the viewer knew earlier this season - there is this secret "Tiger, Tiger" organization and presumably Red John is part of it. I think the three we saw in this episode were all meeting with Bertram earlier this season (as found in the summary of ep. 2 Black Winged Redbird).

The other question is when will Kirkland's identical twin show up?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Simon Baker was on Jimmy Fallon last week and indicated (mild spoilers ahead)

Baker indicated that there would be some form of resolution on the Red John story line in the next three weeks.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It didn't surprise me at all that more than one person had a tattoo. I'm still not convinced that RJ has it. That would seem to mark his followers in his "tiger, tiger" group. The one who tipped Jane off could have been lying as her last show of loyalty to her master. The next couple of weeks should be interesting, and I have to admit as much as I enjoy the show that I will be VERY glad to have the Red John story brought to some kind of conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks