What's new

The Mentalist- Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Spero D

Second Unit
Just saw the season opener. What a cop out. Just shows this show can't survive without the Red John subplot. And after such a strong Season finale last season. And jury nullification. Come on. Oh well. Maybe it was just me :confused:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought it was going to turn out that Patrick had hypnotized the jury! Anyway, I agree. A big letdown.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Other than the very end of it, I thought it was pretty entertaining. The verdict in the trial was ridiculous, and yeah, the twist ending was ridiculous. Even if they wanted to keep Red John alive, I feel like it'd have been better if Jane started feeling closure from shooting Bradley Whitford's character, and then later on he got a message or warning from Red John. That being said, once they found that secret room, the MO didn't match Red John's at all, so maybe that wouldn't have worked.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
But what tipped Patrick off about the grieving widow that made him suspicious of her? She seemed utterly convincing in her devotion to her husband, but what led him to pull the key trick on her? Usually, he explains after the fact what made him go after someone who otherwise appears innocent, but unless I was out of the room for a moment, I never heard his reasons for suspecting her of something nefarious.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
MattH. said:
But what tipped Patrick off about the grieving widow that made him suspicious of her? She seemed utterly convincing in her devotion to her husband, but what led him to pull the key trick on her? Usually, he explains after the fact what made him go after someone who otherwise appears innocent, but unless I was out of the room for a moment, I never heard his reasons for suspecting her of something nefarious.
I'm not sure that he was suspicious of the widow herself, to be honest. It seemed to me more like he just wanted to plant a seed of doubt in her mind in order to see what secrets she would try to find after that, and then it turned out that she was involved.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
One thing that bugged me a little was all the resistance to their investigation. I mean, if everyone is going to bring up the fact they don't have a warrant and then drop it after 30 seconds and let them do whatever they want anyway, it ends up being empty filler. I mean, what's the point of bringing it up if there isn't going to be a serious roadblock there?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Why was there no further investigation into the death of the security guard? That bugged me. I thought that would have been mentioned again. I was wondering about the different MO with the girl, but I was thinking that this might have been the wife's hobby and Red John was indulging her. So until Jane said that "Carter" wasn't Red John, I thought he was going to be trying to dismantle Red John's surviving organization for the rest of the series. I think that would have still worked. Instead we are practically getting back to square one in that respect.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
So any thoughts who Red John is? I think it could be two possible suspects...
Either the old boss Virgil Minelli or the new boss Gale Bertram...But, my ultimate mind-screw is the Patrick Jane is Red John. He is so good at manipulating people and getting them to do his bidding. It would be very Fight Clubish. ;)

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
todd s said:
So any thoughts who Red John is?
I don't care anymore. I feel a little like the greyhound that caught the fake rabbit at the dog track. I'll still watch but I won't be so quick to fall for the "Red" herrings. Todd, you may have to add a line to your "John Doe" signature (which I agree with, by the way) that says "Tell us who Red John is" if they end the series without resolving things. I wouldn't be surprised if they never tell us.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've always liked Reed Diamond's acting, so I was hopeful that he was going to be worked into the series at least on a recurring basis. I was a bit disappointed he had to be the scapegoat so Lisbon could get her team back.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Todd, your last suspect in your spoiler would be a real trick since Jane was plastic wrapped in a chair when Red John killed two or three people in Jane's presence. I'm not a big fan of shows misleading viewers and kind of felt like the show pulled a fast one with Carter. I suspect that the entire Red John situation will not be resolved into the series concludes and will be handling any future revelations with a rather large grain of salt. I still enjoy the show primarily because of Simon Baker, but am mildly disappointed with the storyline and the undoing of last season's finale. - Walter.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Steve_Pannell said:
I don't care anymore. I feel a little like the greyhound that caught the fake rabbit at the dog track. I'll still watch but I won't be so quick to fall for the "Red" herrings.
I don't care anymore either. And I have stopped watching as a result.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The finale in the last season when Red John was "killed" always bothered me. It was just too easy to kill RJ. Once Jane was convinced, just pull a trigger and he's dead. The evil genius who has always been a least one step ahead of everyone got caught flatfooted like that? Still I was happy to drop the RJ storyline. The season opener just teemed with lazy writing. All in one episode Jane raises the money for bail and then gets exonerated by the Jury. I know this is not reality, but it was still too farfetched. Lazy writing. However, I like the character and the show. If it's as much fun as most of the episodes have been, I'll continue to watch. I just hope the season opener wasn't the moment when the show "jumped the shark."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thoroughly enjoyed the latest episode. True, the new boss may have been younger, but he was the usual standard-issue stubborn boss who must do things his way, but this looks to be a more good-natured foe for the team to cope with. I'll look forward to more episodes with him as a nemesis for the team.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks