What's new

THE MATRIX...new 2-disc SE info + ANIMATRIX (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
it's just an old disc... a bit grainy. perhaps good for its time, but most releases put out in the last 18 months would best the Matrix transfer easily.

Benjamin_M

Grip
I would think that a new "Special Edition" release that is comming out a while after the original release would have a new transfer or DTS. This however does not seem to be the case.

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is that they are simply attempting to offer something to all the new dvd player owners out while also dipping into the hype onlsaut that will be developing at that time. I think for many of us that got into dvd a few years back, Matrix may have been the first dvd we bought (it was for me) but all those people with new players as of christmas don't. It's looking like the year of the Matrix and that's just fine by me.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Alpha case, DTS, and a New transfer would be worth a repurchase. Without any of those three things I will just wait. Lately I could care less about extras. Still like to have them but I'd prefer better picture quality over extras any day.

Benjamin_M

Grip
Same here. I watch the extras once and they are interesting but the reason I made the purchase in the first place is for the movie.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Of all the DVD re-releases that have been remastered this SHOULD be one of them!

Is it actually? Doesn't look like it.

Just curious, are all Region 1 Warner releases still exclusively Snappers?

Has Warner had a 2-disc release before? If so, how was it packaged?

In AUS, all our Warner discs come in sweeeeeet Amaray cases, so I can't wait.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see a new transfer of this-I've noticed a lot of artifacting on this disc, and I'd really like a cleaner version of it. It was a great release for its time, but a better version could easily be done. That, and this movie is screaming for a commentary by the Wachowski (sp?) brothers. Perhaps on the inevitable rerelease once the sequels are out on disc?

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Yeah, JFK Director's Cut, very scary, the second disc is in the cardboard flap on the left...
All of the 2-disc editions in the Oliver Stone Collection were treated similarly, i.e. the second disc in a flimsy envelope and tucked into the snapper's cardboard.

Joel C

Screenwriter
The Matrix was like the third disc I bought nearly four years ago, so I'll happily upgrade, especially since I never bought "Revisited." I'm guessing the packaging will be similar to the cases for Amadeus, True Romance, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Double disc Warner sets are in digipacks, otherwise across the board snappers.

I would think that a new "Special Edition" release that is comming out a while after the original release would have a new transfer or DTS. This however does not seem to be the case.
Warner does not do DTS. They did a badly marked and 0 publisized "test" a few years back, and declared it didn't make a difference in sales.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I'm really disappointed, you'd think if they're going to have yet another release they would at least offer something compelling to give me incentive to re-purchase. I think both the video and audio on the original disc are somewhat lacking by today's "reference" standards, I would have loved to pick up a new, higher-bitrate video transfer with DTS (preferably ES Discrete). Even though I never purchased Revisited I think I'll pass on the SE rerelease if that's all it is. I'll definitely be picking up Animatrix

Benjamin_M

Grip
I would think that DTS may not have made a difference a few years back due to the obvious fact that a relatively small number of people had the ability to utilize the DTS track. I think that things are dofferent these days because relatively inexpensive receivers can be had with DTS decoding.

Something different for the actual movie would be greatly appreciated. Whether that would be a new transfer or DTS track. In general I have seen very few special features worthy of repurchasing a movie that I already own but I will purchase this DVD reguardless due to the fact that it is the most watched DVD in my collection.

I think that the only thing that would discourage me from getting this when it comes out is if they put it in one of those stupid snapper cases. Especially if they put the additional disk in the cardboard cover. Why the heck is WB stuck on using those cases?!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'll purchase this only because I haven't picked up Revisited yet. It's too bad they aren't doing a new transfer for this DVD. It really deserves it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Re "Matrix", this is just triple-dipping, right? No significant new material, or transfer/audio track, right?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
with 6 months between features, do you think Warner will release the Reloaded DVD just before Revolutions comes out at theaters?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'll consider it. I never bought the first release, which I felt was and still is priced too high for a single-disc (still around $18). This set, with the Revisited documentary and movie pass, should street for a few bucks ledd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks