What's new

The Matrix COllection hits HD DVD MAy 22!! (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I don't see any problem with the 2-sided discs as long as you don't have to flip sides during the movie. It just cuts down on having extra discs in the set and is much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

Norm,

Your point is valid.

And above all, let it not be said that I'm an ungrateful whiner. This release announcement is very exciting, and we should all be grateful for it. My point is, that if there's anything left open on the final specs and packaging, I hope that WB takes note of the 2-sided displeasure.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I love that these are flippers since it means fewer discs. A must buy. All in all a really nice looking package.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
OK, I'll be the ungrateful whiner, then.

I don't want to have to read the fine print on the inner ring to determine which side is up. For those of you who can see this fine print, I am betting that you are either not yet in your 40's, or are a test pilot. :)

I don't want to purchase the three movies. I've done that already. For as many times as I will be watching the entire trilogy, the last ultimate edition with the Neo bust will suffice for movies 2 and 3.

If Warner releases The Matrix alone, I'll buy it. I might even settle for a double-sided disc, although if the Blu-ray disc is single-sided, I'll get it instead.

- Steve

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
Of all the complaints about double-sided discs, this is the one I can sympathize with most. But even so, it should be an issue once, and that's it. After you play the disc once, just always put it back in the case movie side down and you never have to look at that fine print again.

And what's more, in all my time buying DVDs, never once have I opened a double-sided disc to find it movie-side up. I'm sure it could and does happen, but playing the odds, you can just put a double-sided disc into your player blind upon opening it up and I'd be shocked if you have to eject the disc and re-insert it more than once a year.

So even here, I really don't see what the issue is.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I really don't care if these are double sided or not. My personal preference would be single sided, but to me it is no big deal. Maybe it is because over 20 years of watching laserdisks has made me immune to disk flipping. I still have some Laserdisks in CAV format that require two or three disks, both sides to view. The only real difference is that the small print is smaller on the HD's, and they tend to be a little more prone to scratches.

While all three Matrix movies would not be on my SD buy list again, they will definately be on my HD buy list.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Unless the HD-DVD version includes an Dolby True HD I will hold out for the Blu-ray version. And all I personally care about is just the matrix movies in HD not the extras.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Anyone ever have a DVD flipper that was mislabeled?:)

I think it's my Dark City DVD that has the widescreen and full screen mislabeled.

Then again maybe they meant the side you were looking at, rather than the side that goes down into the machine.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
So, do you think HD will make The Matrix Reloaded into an actually watchable movie? Nope, thought not.

They should never have made those sequels.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I can not disagree with you on your thoughts of the sequels, even though they made big bucks in the box office.
As to your question/comment. No, Hd can only make trash stand out more.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Indeed they did (make big bucks). I can only imagine that folks went to see Reloaded because they (understandably) expected it to be as great as the first movie and then, having sat through that turd, they went to see Revolutions because they wanted to know how it all ended. "We raised the bar so high that there is no bar"... indeed.

Reloaded is, perhaps, the single most boring film I have ever had the misfortune to sit through at the cinema. The dialogue is tedious, the action is plodding and predictable (just what is the point of the 5-minute "Burly Brawl" when you know damn well that nobody's gonna get hurt and nobody's gonna actually win or lose?!), and it has no emotional resonance whatsoever. Sure, it's technically brilliant and I'm sure it's all very intellectual (if you can be arsed enough to stay awake) but it's rubbish filmmaking.

IMHO there's one reason, and one reason alone, to endure the two Matrix sequels, and that reason is Hugo Weaving.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I actually enjoyed Reloaded quite a bit(except for the never-ending Rave sequence) and I'll be perfectly happy watching that piece of trash in HD. :rolleyes

DanR

Supporting Actor
Remember the roller coaster I mentioned in some of my previous posts. Some of you have no idea what's coming...

Play it cool and even guys. Don't be so emotional and you'll be much happier and less likely to be disappointed. Trust me on this!!!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thank you Dan for reminding us that we HD DVD backers are losers. :P We just wanted a few moments of fame you know...:D

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
The Digital Bits has updated with some more info on the set.

Two key points.

After reading about Animatrix not in HD I was leaning toward the cheaper set, but then I read about the lack of extras from the movie discs in the cheaper set. Probably sticking with The Ultimate Matrix Collection. Look like there will be disc art on the CMT.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I don't know where you got that out of my post. :confused:

I was talking about BOTH sides. Like I said, more is coming... :D ;)

But hey, if you wanna call yourself a loser, don't let me stop you. :P

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Wow. It would have made much more sense to make it a six disc set (all single sided), with the movies and the Animatrix in HD and then two discs of standard def extras. Sixty gigs should be more than enough to hold all the extras from the DVD set especially if they're in SD and VC1 encoded. Makes me wonder what the other side of the three flippers is needed for. Have they even perfected an HD DVD flipper yet? I'm starting to strongly suspect that the 3 movie discs are combos and the extras are on the standard DVD side. That feels like a cheap rush job to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks