What's new

THE MASK SE (retitled now that the disc is out) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
joe, i've been wondering/hoping someone would address the thread title thing for a long time.

maybe you will, or i will.
but it will likely go unnoticed or just be made into a joke.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
my 17th.
i know surviving christmas was about 10 weeks to home video.
so what about this one?
how many weeks is this?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Strange that New Line didn't see fit to differentiate the two editions somehow. The only way you can tell the difference is that the new edition has a shiny cover, blue background, and is in a keepcase. THAT'S IT. The disc itself, however, is substantially different, so it's not just a repackaging. So some less-informed people might see this in a store and figure New Line just released it in new packaging to coincide with the "sequel"...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i watched twice now.
the picture is much better this time around, and while the dts
while improved doesnt even equal the DD on the special edition laser from years ago.

during the scene pictured on the menu shot when the wolf face drops his jaw n the table, a tremendous thud is heard from the laser version.
the dvd version is just a slight bump sound.

overall well worth picking up and until it is able to be watched in the new hd format this is as good as it will be.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Watched mine last night.

Nice transfer, but not perfect. Pretty typical of today's New Line releases. A little bit noisy and less smooth than it could be, not the best compression work.

I've become so spoiled by the occasional perfect transfer.

Still worth it for Cameron Diaz before she looked like a boy. She does all those movies where she shakes her ass in the camera, but in this one she actually had one. Always saddens me a little when I watch this movie. She was so hot then, and now there's nothing to her.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Man, give the girl a break will ya? She was **21** when she filmed The Mask. That was 14 years ago. People age. Too bad that she doesn't still look like the sorority girl you're lusting after, huh? :rolleyes

Hopefully Ms. Diaz won't get sucked into the "I must look 19 at all times!" mentality in Hollywood and jump onto the cosmetic surgery wagon. She seems to be pretty well grounded.

Jace_A

Second Unit

No, but she's certainly been sucked in to the "I must look like a starving Ethiopian in order to get jobs" mentality. The poster wasn't commenting on her aging, he was commenting on the fact that she's now anorexic.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Anorexic? And you know this how? I wouldn't call her anorexic. Not at all. She just doesn't look the same as she did when she was in her early twenties. Surprise!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
doug you may think someone that thin looks good.

diaz does still look good but 11 years ago 1994 when the movie
was released and probably filmed 12 years ago in '93 she didnt look like she needed to eat once in awhile.

she looked great in her debut.
over the next few years after the mask she already started to look too thin.
# Feeling Minnesota (1996) .... Freddie Clayton
# She's the One (1996) .... Heather Davis
# The Last Supper (1995) .... Jude
# The Mask (1994) .... Tina Carlyle

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Whatever guys. In my opinion you're too used to looking at the many people in our country who are *overweight*. America is fat and Cameron Diaz is not, so she must be a "starving Ethiopian" and anorexic. Sheesh.

Back to discussing The Mask...

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Wow! That's like a dark mirror of what most people (especially women) would say. I'm going to write this all down and use the premise as an episode for a future Star Trek series.

In the Special Features, it's revealed that a producer resisted casting her because he thought she wasn't voluptuous enough for the role THEN. He eventually caved, but made sure costuming used tremendous push-up bras in all her outfits. I'm pretty sure her butt in that red dress and her legs were real though. And it's clear in the screen-test that she was much bustier than than she is now. I'd say she and Justin Timberlake could wear the same clothes and be nearly indistinguishable, but she's probably quite a bit taller than him.:)

She was A MODEL afterall who hadn't done any real acting before "The Mask." Her looks were the best thing going for her, so to me it was just ashame she decided somewhere along the line that she had to be thinner since she was a "10" in The Mask. With her features, some more cushion on her gave her face a softness she lacks without it, making her more boyish rail-thin.

Were they to make the movie with the Cameron of today, even if they could somehow make her younger (which wasn't even a consideration of mine before; she's aging rather well) she would NEVER have been cast, not with the body (or lack thereof) she has today.

Is it AGE that made Linday Lohan's body disappear too? I guess I'd better grab me an 18-year-old if age works on a woman that fast!

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I watched the new SE of "The Mask" tonight and was surprised to discover what appears to be a layer change about 3/4 of the way through. I say "surprised" because I'm using a Denon DVD-2900 which has a read-ahead buffer which makes 99% of layer changes invisible.

The fact THIS layer change is visible would seem to suggest that it's not RSDL and that the laser is realigned at the outer edge for the second layer instead of the usual inner edge.

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks