What's new

The Mask of Zorro Superbit edition. (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have the original and will be picking the Superbit version up. I do like commentaries on certain films, but this one isn't one that particular interests me, as far as having a commentary.

I'm actually a little hopeful given DVDFILE's review of the upcoming Anaconda Superbit (how about that A-list title?) saying that it's the most filmlike transfer CTS has put out, free of the annoying halos that have plagues a majority of their transfers. Maybe CTS is finally turning the corner as far as taming the halos (which are evident on my HD set).

Hopefully Bjoern will weigh in on this effort in the future.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
So it sounds as if the SE edition is lower quality than the original? *snip* I don't know about you but I sure as heck don't spend 10 hrs watching all the extra crap that they put on dvd's.
I'm not you, but I really like watching extras on most of my DVDs.. (good Martin Campbell commentary and making-of on Zorro) The SE version loses out on fine detail in the movie, since a lowpass filtered image can take up less disc space than a detailed image. That's so they can cram a DTS track, and all the extras on the widescreen disc.

So, I'll do my own Ultimate Edition. I'll buy the Superbit to complement my original widescreen SE disc.

Since it's a two disc Superbit, I'll sell the P&S version along with the Superbit extras and reclaim some of the loss. I really like this film. (I might even say "No Black Bars on this" as a sales pitch.)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I've always considered the Superbit line a bit of a marketing scheme to capitalize on eager-spending DTS hounds. That's especially true in this case, where the two-disc SE of Mask of Zorro already is a phenomenal all-around package.

That having been said, there definitely is a measurable difference between the 2-disc SE and the new SB Deluxe. The former has an average bit rate of 5.39, while the latter is 6.63. Whether anyone can see/hear that difference is up for debate.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Sure, they released it to hopefully get people to buy it several times, but it's not all bad. I waited to get the two disc SE, but never got around to it. Now I'll just pick up the SuperBit instead.

I consider it like computer software. If a company can offer a better product, they will. Some will adopt it, some won't. The only problem with this is, there isn't anything stopping them from putting out a SuperBit release in the first place. For every DVD I buy, I try to find the release that will make me the happiest. If I had the SE right now, there is no way I would buy the SuperBit. However, I don't, so I will go with what is the best.

Some films (i.e. LOTR or Star Wars), I would probably upgrade everytime something better came out. A film like Zorro, all I need is one decent copy.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
turf the SE in protest for the studio's inclusion of a Full frame version in the SE.
Ironically, if you look at the second disc of the Superbit Deluxe, it says, "Disc Two - Full Screen" -- just like the SE's second disc. But put it in your player, and you'll see that the contents do not include a pan-and-scan version of the movie. Columbia Tristar re-used the artwork from the SE second disc without realizing it conveyed inaccurate information.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Since you're talking superbit, I hope you all know about deepdiscountdvd's Superbit Special:

Buy Panic Room Superbit and one other Superbit (from a list including The Mask of Zorro), and get a third Superbit from the list free.

Patrick.J.A

Stunt Coordinator
Still awaiting mine from DDD, I'll tell you when I get it, however I have no vantage point as I never had the SE.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the most noticable difference between the SB and original edition is that the SB appears darker with a little more saturation in the reds.
as for sharpness, its a hair tighter that the original, but this is incredibly minor.
equivilent to the difference between the SE of Starship Troopers and the standard version of that title.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I just got my copy of this dvd. Disc 2 is kinda strange. On the front, it says Disc 2 : Fullscreen, and has the same silkscreening that the SE does. When I put the second disc in my player, the menu only has options for Special Features and Subtitles. Very strange.

Snatch is simmilar, where the disc looks just like the disc from the previous version. No fullscreen banner on that one though.

Why couldn't Columbia have spent the extra few pennies to make both of the discs match?

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Don,

I just opened mine yesterday and my Disk 2 was the same thing with the Full Screen labeling. I was like "crap I have to exchange this", until I realized the label was just a mistake.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dave Coleman, Check DVD File for a review. Go to disc reviews and type in mask of zorro. They even have a couple of screen caps linked from the review...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That's the first thing I noticed when I looked at disk 2. I even had the retailer open some of the other disks to check that second disk, and then play it in their player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks