What's new

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" on DVD 9/24! (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Another great episode is the one where Mary is reunited with the hooker she met in jail in a previous episode. The woman decides to become a clothing designer and has Mary model a revealing dress she has designed. Ted's reaction to this is great. Georgette says, "Ted do you want me to wear that dress?" Ted, "I want every woman in the free world to wear that dress." Great stuff.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Marty, you're ohhhh so correct sir! Great ep.!! :)
I was thinking that the Henry Winkler "Veal Prince Orlaff" episode just might have been within the first two seasons. But I see (via guide link above) that we'll have to wait till Season 4 comes around to get that classic program.
"Mr. Grant, you took HALF of the veal! You've got to put some back!" :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I just received my MTM Season 1 set today (a day before release! :) ).
And I just have to say that I truly believe this is going to be my favorite TV boxed set to date!! Absolutely fantastic!
The packaging is first-rate (similar in style to the two Simpsons sets). The gatefold is very clever....with each disc (plus the artwork on the case underneath) spelling out a letter in M-A-R-Y. This really looks quite cool indeed!
As mentioned in a post above, we get a lot of chapter stops with this set too (unlike the All In The Family set, which has none)! Each of the 24 first-season episodes is broken into TEN chapters!
So far, I've only watched the debut show ("Love Is All Around"). And BOY DOES IT LOOK GREAT!! I'm certainly no expert, but it sure seems to me that whoever put this set together did a bang-up job on the transfer! It looks very smooth and clear, and the colors incredibly vibrant! Color explodes everywhere! ... Take the first episode...very first scene...Phyllis' outfit is alive with gorgeous colors! MTM is a great program for showcasing the psychedelic colors in the clothes worn in that decade. And on DVD they've never looked better!
I did a side-by-side comparison with a VHS copy of MTM, and
it's a night-and-day difference! Every little detail stands out vividly on the DVD. Take a look at Mary's couch (you can almost FEEL the fabric)....or Lou's desk (and how the pattern of the wood grain is so clearly evident). These little things, that a person would probably not notice on the VHS, sure stand out on the DVD. It's gonna be like watching all these great MTM episodes for the first time.
And the 2.0 mono soundtrack is pretty robust as well. Very clear and distinct.
When I first popped in disc 1, I was a bit fearful that the transfer might be similar to All In The Family's rather....shall we all admit it....subpar effort. The reason I was concerned initially is because I noted that this MTM set has 8 episodes on each disc! (Disc 4 has extra features only.) Usually we see only 4, 5, or maybe up to 6 per disc. But, fear not....from what I've seen thus far, the video quality is Grade-A indeed! :)
Also included is a nice 16-page booklet, which gives some info about the MTM series and a guide to each episode contained in the 4-disc boxed set (including the titles for each chapter stop). Original air dates are also provided.
I see also by the Disc 4 info that we get what looks to be a very interesting Photo Gallery. The booklet states the gallery contains "Classic still photographs from the personal collections of the show's cast". (Is that cool or what!? :) )
Other goodies on Disc 4 include ..... Emmy Award clips (from 1971)! ... Original CBS Promos! ... An "All-Star Trivia Challenge" (questions that are posed by the "cast and creative team of the show")! ... And an all-new 87-minute "Making of Season 1" documentary!
There's also a commentary track for 3 of the episodes [including an Ed Asner commentary for the debut ep.].
I can't wait to watch some more of this top-notch MTM set!!
And we are to get Season 2 in March 2003 (according to an
insert card included with Season 1)!! Yahoooo!
In case you couldn't tell, I highly recommend the purchase of the MTM Season 1 boxed set. For any fan of the MTM show, this set is a certain Must-Buy!
"You've got spunk! ..... I HATE spunk!!" :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was hoping for a Ronald Epstein MTM review...but none has materalized as yet. Anybody know if Ron's doing one?
Sorry, would have liked to, but the studio
sent only 2 discs out of the collection with
no packaging attached.

As much as I love Fox, I cannot review product
in this manner.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
David,

Thanks for the info. I've been looking forward to this one for some time. I doubt I'll be able to pick it up on release date, but it'll be soon and without hesitation given your stellar review.

Ron,

I think your policy is a good one. You can't do a proper review of something that isn't complete.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You're gonna love it, Matthew (and Rain)!
(Just checked out parts of a couple more episodes on Disc 1. They look OUTSTANDING as well! My life-long crush on Mary has now turned into a Digital infatuation! And, BOY does she look good! :) )

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My life-long crush on Mary has now turned into a Digital infatuation! And, BOY does she look good!
I've had a crush on Mary since I saw her in The Dick Van Dyke Show. The MTM Show is my all-time favorite sitcom and have been a fan since it's debut over 30 years ago. I have enjoyed watching all the episodes on TV Land and Nick-at-Nite. Now I can watch Mary anytime I want. Bring on the next season!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Im sitting here, waiting, 7 more hours til costco opens...

My favorite all time episode is "The Snow Must Go On" which is thankfully in S1!!!

There are so many running jokes in this one that never fail to make me convulse with laughter

Mary, Im not going back out there alone!
Ted, youre on in 5!
Im going back out there alone!

And picturing Mary miming the shifting pattern on the snow cat, and rhoda behind the tote board

umm, Rhoda, how is it possible to make a bad cheese sandwich?
you were out of cheese so I used youghurt.

The Divorcees club with Shelley Berman is pretty close behind.

7 more hours....

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I just picked this up at Costco for $32.99. Not bad for 24 shows, a 90 min documentary, commentaries, etc. I might buy all 7 years of this one.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon. They had the best price at the time. We don't have Costco around here, so I will be saving $5 or so from Best Buy's price. Now that I want to see this right away, I'm not sure the savings was really worth it.

John Simon

Second Unit
Did anyone here order this from DVDSoon? Usually they ship a day or two before the release, but mine still hasn't shipped out. Anyone else with a similar experience?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else as impressed as i am with the quality of this set?
from the really well done (for a change) fold out insert housing the discs, to the simple but classy menu designs, printed episode guide, and last but not least, the quality of the prints.
please correct me if i'm wrong, i only chose one episode at random to watch, but the video quality on it was FANTASTIC.
one of the finest looking full frame discs i think i have.
i paid $40 at BB and i'm pretty damn satisfied.

just wish they hadn't stuck one of those ugly black security tags on the inside fold out...oh well.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I looked on mine to see what horrendously-improper location I was bound to find that dang security tag....but mine had none! Bliss! :D
I was also afforded the luxury of a dent-free MTM custom case! (Additional bliss!) :D
And I agree with you wholeheartedly, Mr. P. Scott! The MTM set is spectacular! Great transfers, plus nice extras! Hard to beat that!
"I don't know why I even bother to eat this piece of chocolate. I might just as well apply it DIRECTLY to my hips!"

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I'm stunned at how nicely this was done. The quality is a lot better than I expected. The colors are amazing. The shows are laugh-out-loud funny (of course, I knew that). The packaging is classy. The commentaries are enjoyable. And the next set is coming in March. I may not live long enough to see all the Simpsons on DVD, but I really hope I make it long enough to see all of these.

GREAT job, Fox!!!

edit: I jinxed it. Within 60 seconds of posting this I hit a glitch. Guess I'll search and if no results start a thread.

Remind me never to comment until I'm through a set.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Kurt N. (from your other "MTM Glitch" thread).......
I love this set, but I've got a problem. On disc 2, I cannot access the commentary on the episode "1040 or Bust". Anyone else encounter this problem?
I just tried mine, and the commentary works fine.
Did you try accessing it from the "Special Features" section of Disc 2? Or from your remote? Perhaps if one failed, the other will kick it in.
BTW ... Frankly, I'm rather shocked and disappointed at the apparent lack of interest in this dang-near-perfect MTM set of DVDs. I figured this thread would be packed with visitors extolling its many virtues. This has to be one of the best TV DVD boxed sets on the market now! A pleasure to turn back the clock to 1970! :)
EDIT: Perhaps I jumped the gun too soon above. After all, this set just came out on September 24. I hope to see more positive comments about it when more people get them delivered to them. Because all 7 seasons of MTM on DVD are a must! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks