The Mariners the best baseball team??? Yeah, right!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RAF, Oct 22, 2001.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Don't make me laugh (116 times).
    The record to beat was 125 wins, not 116 wins. Yes, Sweet Lou, your Mariners are going home, as you predicted. They just won't be suiting up!
    I repeat what I said before. The Oakland A's are the second best team in the American League and were the toughest challenge for the Yankees on their way to the World Series.
    Seattle was no match for the best team in the American League when it counted. It's not how you drive, but how you arrive.
    I now look forward to a very interesting World Series.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

[​IMG]
    Not hardly.
    Good call, Lou.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Hee Hee Hee.. [​IMG]
    As always...Spot on Doc.
    Bring on those fiesty D-Backs!!
    ------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ric Perrott - My DVD's

4. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

I hate New York even more. The most smug and over payrolled team in baseball. Everything about the Yankees is what's wrong with pro sports today. The team with the most money comes out on top. Should I bring up the example of the championship the Marlins bought a few years back?
    May the Diamondbacks spank the Yankess so hard, they run home with crap on their faces. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Peter

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Yes the poor old Mariners were no match for the Yanks. I said back during the season that they had no overwhelming pitching or big time batting lineup which is what you need in the post season.
    But, having said that, I also hate the Yankees and their store-bought team. I hope Schilling and the Unit pitch 6 of the seven games and stick it to Steinbrenner.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

7. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Supporting Actor

I've said it before and I will say it again. Fair weathered fans are a dime a dozen. Where were you RAF when the Yanks were down 0-2 to Oakland? Poor Robert Crawford was the only real Yankees fan that would even post back then. A real fan sticks his neck out even when they are losing.
    Kevin C.

8. Michael St. Clair

If what allows the Yankees to win year after year continues, Major League Baseball will be completely destroyed. Overall attendance will continue to fall into the toilet and the sport will die.
    In this case, I am somewhat glad to see the Yanks win because I pity NYC after recent events, and I am happy to see something bring them together in a positive way. The other reason I am somewhat glad is that I was sick of hearing LOUDMOUTHED braggart Mariners fans for the first half of the season. Best team ever? Keep dreaming.
    That said, Yankees fans also could use a dose of humility and reality. Get over yourselves! [​IMG]

9. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

blah, blah, blah...jeter, williams, pettitte, rivera and now soriano are yankee draft picks. they are the cornerstrones of this dynasty. like it or not, they are one of the best baseball teams ever.
    LET'S GO YANKEES!!!

10. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

quote: I've said it before and I will say it again. Fair weathered fans are a dime a dozen. Where were you RAF when the Yanks were down 0-2 to Oakland? Poor Robert Crawford was the only real Yankees fan that would even post back then. A real fan sticks his neck out even when they are losing.[/quote]No offense Kevin, but blow it out your ass. [​IMG]
    Please re-read the replies in http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum2/HTML/005513.html
    Stop your whining.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ric Perrott - My DVD's
    [Edited last by RicP on October 22, 2001 at 11:25 PM]

11. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I'm from Boston and I'm a long time Red Sox fan so what I'm about to say should have a bit of weight...
    The Yankees are to be admired and respected for all that they have acomplished in the 1990's and early 21st century. They know how to win, not only on the field but all the way up to the owner. Say what you want about them but when push comes to shove the Yankees know what to do to keep standing till the end. The Red Sox had either the highest or second highest payroll in baseball this year and where did it get them? They're the laughingstock of the majors right now. Management has set the franchise up fail while the likes of Pedro, Nomar, and Manny waste the prime of their careers. Think that George would let that happen?
    As for my Sox....Let's go Patriots!
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

12. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Boo-friggin hoo, yankee haters.
    Store bought, my arse. The core of this team has been there for years. See mike caronia's post above.
    Go Mets! (next year I mean)
    ------------------
    rickyhustle.com

13. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

14. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Hey, I'll back it up by throwing these comments out there from a die hard Oakland A's fan. I have to give the Yanks credit for coming back down 0-2 in the A's series. I didn't think they could do it and they did. I hate them, but hey, they can play.
    On ther other hand, I'm sick of people defending their payroll with facts that other teams with a higher payroll didn't do so well. Check the facts. Over the last 10 years, the teams with the some of the highest payrolls have dominated baseball playoffs and World Series wins. And it's only getting worse. There are teams out there that now start the season...cough...Montreal...cough....that know they don't have a chance. None. And that's bad for all of baseball. And the Yankees are the 400lb gorilla in that department.
    ...and don't get me started when the signed Canseco last year as a "backup pinch hitter" to Glen Allen Hiil. Why? Not because they needed him, but because Seattle and Oakland needed him. Another example of how Yankee $$$ kills baseball...
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

15. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Ah, RAF, humble in victory, humble in defeat. Oh wait, I haven't seen him in defeat yet. Ah well, one of these years...
    I have to admit, I agree with RAF on something related to baseball (did the Earth just go careening out of its orbit?). I too thought the winner of the A's/Yanks series would win the World Series. I just thought it would be the A's. In fact, I thought they would do it in a sweep. I just didn't say anything in L.A. so as not to antagonize my new Yankee-fan friends. [​IMG]
    But who could've envisioned Zito losing a two-hitter, and Cory Lidle blowing up after pitching so well this year, and the defense falling apart behind Mulder and Hudson (when A's fans see Clemens starting a post-season game against them, they usually figure it's in the bag).
    Oh well, I guess I can take some perverse pleasure in the Yankees steamrolling Seattle and Arizona. It validates how good the A's really are. Hearkening back to another thread, no I still don't consider the Yankees "a sentimental favorite". I'm not even rooting for them. Just trying to find the thinnest sliver of a silver lining in the inevitable.
    RAF, I was going to suggest adding the word "last" to that "Team of the century" t-shirt of yours. I guess you can leave it as is for now. [​IMG]
    Rob
    ------------------
    "That suits me down to the ground."
    [Edited last by Rob Willey on October 23, 2001 at 12:57 AM]

16. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

17. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Yes, we can say the Yankees got the best of the Mariners. However, as was shown on TV, Yankees fans are probably the worst there are in baseball. Is it any wonder we want to see the Yankees lose? Yes, they spend alot on their players (over 138 million this year), but it is the sickening exhibits of rudeness by their fans that make them the most hated team in the US (RicP--saying blow it out your ass, for example) All you needed to do was watch what they did on TV to know this. I doubt too many people will be watching the World Series, but most people I know will want the Arizona team to win and not the Yankees.
    [Edited last by Tomoko Noguchi on October 23, 2001 at 01:36 AM]

18. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

RAF, you posted basically the same thing in the original thread concerning the ALCS.
    Do we really need another thread taking up server resources? [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Patrick_S on October 23, 2001 at 02:24 AM]

19. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

20. RAF

RAF Lead Actor