What's new

International The Man Who Never Was (1956) (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1956), one of my all-time favourite films, based on the true World War II plan "Operation Mincemeat" is now available on a UK Blu-ray from Odeon Entertainment. Picture quality provides a slight upgrade from the region 1 Fox DVD but it's not a dramatic improvement. Picture is rather soft and print damage is apparent, exactly as it was on the DVD. Sound is 2 channel stereo. Aspect ratio is stated on the box as 2.35:1 but that's a mistake because it is actually 2.55:1 - which is the correct OAR. It includes the original theatrical trailer and a short stills gallery.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
It's a pity that the audio is 2-channel instead of the original 4-channel mix which is on the US dvd. Hopefully Fox or Twilight time will release it soon with the proper sound format.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Had this sitting on our shelf for several years. My better half and I finally watched it this morning.

What a wonderful film! Moving, suspenseful, rousing, thoughtful and uplifting.

The characters’ choices, plans and reactions ring satisfyingly true throughout - no doubt helped by the film being based in fact.

Surprised this is not a more renowned film - it deserves to be.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Had this sitting on our shelf for several years. My better half and I finally watched it this morning.

What a wonderful film! Moving, suspenseful, rousing, thoughtful and uplifting.

The characters’ choices, plans and reactions ring satisfyingly true throughout - no doubt helped by the film being based in fact.

Surprised this is not a more renowned film - it deserves to be.
Clifton Webbs best role besides Laura and The Dark Corner

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It's a great film and better than the remake Operation Mincemeat (2021), although the latter film has its merits, not least due to some details about the mission being declassified since the first film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another Blu-ray I bought from the UK that I need to revisit in the near future. A fine film that should be released here in the States, but Disney now controls its home video distribution so that's probably not going to happen.

gjn123

Agent
Real Name
Brendan Brennan
Another Blu-ray I bought from the UK that I need to revisit in the near future. A fine film that should be released here in the States, but Disney now controls its home video distribution so that's probably not going to happen.
Excellent film, not as well known as I think it should be. Great work from Clifton Webb, Stephen Boyd, Robert Flyming and the rest of the cast. However, the make up job on the great Gloria Grahame is dreadful. It looks like some sort of insectiside spray. Hope it gets a Blu ray release but I doubt it.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Excellent film, not as well known as I think it should be. Great work from Clifton Webb, Stephen Boyd, Robert Flyming and the rest of the cast. However, the make up job on the great Gloria Grahame is dreadful. It looks like some sort of insectiside spray. Hope it gets a Blu ray release but I doubt it.
This movie has been shown recently on BBC [uk] TV in correct screen ratio. Picture quality was very good indeed . Yes....Gloria G . looked not so good with layers of strange makeup .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks