What's new

The Man From U.n.c.l.e. Coming Out On Dvd This September? (2 Viewers)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Just confirming the fact ;)

As a matter of fact, a release of more episodes of MFU would be welcomed this side of the puddle as well.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Since this discussion thread has been fortunate enough to acquire the participation of David Lambert of TV Shows on DVD I'd like to seize the opportunity and discuss another important tv franchise namely THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes.

Now THE INVADERS is under the ownership of Paramount Pictures-Viacom International Television something that your online information service will not acknowledge and officiate in your directory listing of the show.

So rather than debate the matter here could you (or someone at TV Shows on DVD) personally contact Paramount Pictures and confirm this once-and-for-all.

Could you also ask Paramount whether it has any plans of releasing THE INVADERS in a DVD collection?

If not, then why not?

When will we see THE INVADERS finally made available as a DVD collection?

Why is THE INVADERS tv series (apparently) not currently available for tv syndication in the U.S. and Canada?

Why is Paramount Pictures (seemingly) trying to suppress this particular tv property?

I would be eternally grateful (as would every fan of THE INVADERS) if the (unacceptable) situation pertaining to this 1960s SF tv series were finally cleared-up.

Lastly just because there may not be an impending DVD release of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (NBC 1964-68) doesn't mean that it won't eventually happen in time.

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Since this discussion thread has been fortunate enough to acquire the participation of David Lambert of TV Shows on DVD I'd like to seize the opportunity and discuss another important tv franchise namely THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes.

Now THE INVADERS is under the ownership of Paramount Pictures-Viacom International Television something that your online information service will not acknowledge and officiate in your directory listing of the show.

So rather than debate the matter here could you (or someone at TV Shows on DVD) personally contact Paramount Pictures and confirm this once-and-for-all.

Could you also ask Paramount whether it has any plans of releasing THE INVADERS in a DVD collection?

If not, then why not?

When will we see THE INVADERS finally made available as a DVD collection?

Why is THE INVADERS tv series (apparently) not currently available for tv syndication in the U.S. and Canada?

Why is Paramount Pictures (seemingly) trying to suppress this particular tv property?

I would be eternally grateful (as would every fan of THE INVADERS) if the (unacceptable) situation pertaining to this 1960s SF tv series were finally cleared-up.

Lastly just because there may not be an impending DVD release of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (NBC 1964-68) doesn't mean that it won't eventually happen in time.

Jeff T.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Invaders is owned by Paramount as are all of the Worldvision shows:
Ben Casey, The Fugitive, Streets of San Francisco, One Step Beyond, Doris Day Show, Mod Squad, People's Choice, Wendy and Me, etc.
As to whether it will come out or not, again, this is a great show that 99.9% of the people under 40 have any idea what it is. It has really not had a very good syndication and other than its run on SciFi in the mid-90s, it has played in very few markets. On the positive side, it is SciFi and that always sells. And most TV SciFi from the 60s-70s seems to be coming out. On the negative side, Paramount/Viacom with all of their acquisitions owns literally hundreds of shows that could be released. Had Worldvision stayed in business you would have had a much greater chance. But once the show went to Paramount, it went from being near the front of the line to being about 150 places back. Lets face facts here. The Brady Bunch, artistic merit aside, is about a thousand times more popular and well known than The Invaders and Paramount hasn't even announced that yet. Not to mention Beverly Hillbillies, Gomer Pyle, Get Smart, Odd Couple, Mission Impossible and about 100 shows far more high profile. No Quinn Martin shows have come out yet so who knows how the home video rights exist. Could be that only the syndication rights are Paramount and that his heirs own the shows. Or maybe even ABC? The only episodes ever released came out on Goodtimes VHS, licensed from Worldvision.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Invaders is owned by Paramount as are all of the Worldvision shows:
Ben Casey, The Fugitive, Streets of San Francisco, One Step Beyond, Doris Day Show, Mod Squad, People's Choice, Wendy and Me, etc.
As to whether it will come out or not, again, this is a great show that 99.9% of the people under 40 have any idea what it is. It has really not had a very good syndication and other than its run on SciFi in the mid-90s, it has played in very few markets. On the positive side, it is SciFi and that always sells. And most TV SciFi from the 60s-70s seems to be coming out. On the negative side, Paramount/Viacom with all of their acquisitions owns literally hundreds of shows that could be released. Had Worldvision stayed in business you would have had a much greater chance. But once the show went to Paramount, it went from being near the front of the line to being about 150 places back. Lets face facts here. The Brady Bunch, artistic merit aside, is about a thousand times more popular and well known than The Invaders and Paramount hasn't even announced that yet. Not to mention Beverly Hillbillies, Gomer Pyle, Get Smart, Odd Couple, Mission Impossible and about 100 shows far more high profile. No Quinn Martin shows have come out yet so who knows how the home video rights exist. Could be that only the syndication rights are Paramount and that his heirs own the shows. Or maybe even ABC? The only episodes ever released came out on Goodtimes VHS, licensed from Worldvision.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

A little off topic but what is Wendy and Me, the name seems familiar.

I think I have heard of Invaders and it interests me and the name alone inspires good DVD sales. Did The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Invaders have toys, I may have had some as when I was young all of my toys were discount overstock toys from cancelled TV Shows years past. Many have been lost in floods and time but I still have a Space 1999 vehicle of sorts and the Bionic Woman doll sans ruber around the arm. I know I had some 60's things design wise and I have a few nameless action figures that may be something...

Tory

Real Name
Tory

A little off topic but what is Wendy and Me, the name seems familiar.

I think I have heard of Invaders and it interests me and the name alone inspires good DVD sales. Did The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Invaders have toys, I may have had some as when I was young all of my toys were discount overstock toys from cancelled TV Shows years past. Many have been lost in floods and time but I still have a Space 1999 vehicle of sorts and the Bionic Woman doll sans ruber around the arm. I know I had some 60's things design wise and I have a few nameless action figures that may be something...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
JeffT, we're not ignoring you, per se. I agree that Paramount owns the rights to Invaders. We're just very behind in taking care of the little things, like that one.

As I said, we're just two guys doing the site in our spare time. Even as I type this up, my wife is upset with me because I'm typing this up, changing ownership listing of Invaders at the site, and not getting dressed so she can take me out to Father's Day breakfast.

So I just went and changed it to Paramount. Check it out!

Paramount has no plans to "surpress" the show. They simply have too many properties, especially ones that they originated rather than purchased elsewhere, to get to it right off. After all, they are JUST NOW getting out Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley/Mork & Mindy, three of their hottest historical properties! I'm sure down-the-road they'll get around to it.

They'll do McGyver and Get Smart! before Invaders, in my mind.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
JeffT, we're not ignoring you, per se. I agree that Paramount owns the rights to Invaders. We're just very behind in taking care of the little things, like that one.

As I said, we're just two guys doing the site in our spare time. Even as I type this up, my wife is upset with me because I'm typing this up, changing ownership listing of Invaders at the site, and not getting dressed so she can take me out to Father's Day breakfast.

So I just went and changed it to Paramount. Check it out!

Paramount has no plans to "surpress" the show. They simply have too many properties, especially ones that they originated rather than purchased elsewhere, to get to it right off. After all, they are JUST NOW getting out Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley/Mork & Mindy, three of their hottest historical properties! I'm sure down-the-road they'll get around to it.

They'll do McGyver and Get Smart! before Invaders, in my mind.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Just because a show isn't seen in syndication doesn't mean the owner is trying to suppress it. It just means that no one wants to buy and air it! You can't fault the owner for that. Likewise with DVD releases. Being a fan of a certain property doesn't signify that there are another 9,999 devotees to warrant a DVD. The audience may not be there for MGM/Warner to issue The Man From U.N.CL.E., or for Paramount to do the same with The Invaders.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Just because a show isn't seen in syndication doesn't mean the owner is trying to suppress it. It just means that no one wants to buy and air it! You can't fault the owner for that. Likewise with DVD releases. Being a fan of a certain property doesn't signify that there are another 9,999 devotees to warrant a DVD. The audience may not be there for MGM/Warner to issue The Man From U.N.CL.E., or for Paramount to do the same with The Invaders.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

1964 sitcom with Connie Stevens and Ron Harper as a married couple living in an apartment building run by George Burns. Very funny show and similar in feel to Burns and Allen with Stevens essentially taking on the Gracie Allen dimwit role.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

1964 sitcom with Connie Stevens and Ron Harper as a married couple living in an apartment building run by George Burns. Very funny show and similar in feel to Burns and Allen with Stevens essentially taking on the Gracie Allen dimwit role.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator

Not so, there are many reasons for a TV series not to be released, WKRP in Cincinnati has extensive music rights issues to clear before it can be released and Batman is in a legal rights hell between 20th Century Fox and Time/Warner. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was previously successfully released on both videotape and Laserdisc, so there is a proven audience for this series. Just ask Dave Lambert, who's stated that he'll happily dance naked around the room if they release it onto DVD! :)

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator

Not so, there are many reasons for a TV series not to be released, WKRP in Cincinnati has extensive music rights issues to clear before it can be released and Batman is in a legal rights hell between 20th Century Fox and Time/Warner. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was previously successfully released on both videotape and Laserdisc, so there is a proven audience for this series. Just ask Dave Lambert, who's stated that he'll happily dance naked around the room if they release it onto DVD! :)

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
No audience for UNCLE? Pleeeze!
There are DVDs for The Cisco Kid,Sports Night,Black Scorpion,Soul Food,Mapp & Lucia,The Protectors(with Robert Vaughn),Sapphire & Steel(with David McCallum),Terrahawks,Freaks & Geeks,My Little Margie,The Ben Stiller Show,The Anna Nicole Show,Punky Brewster,and Pink Lady & Jeff!
Pleeeze! Give me a break!
Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
No audience for UNCLE? Pleeeze!
There are DVDs for The Cisco Kid,Sports Night,Black Scorpion,Soul Food,Mapp & Lucia,The Protectors(with Robert Vaughn),Sapphire & Steel(with David McCallum),Terrahawks,Freaks & Geeks,My Little Margie,The Ben Stiller Show,The Anna Nicole Show,Punky Brewster,and Pink Lady & Jeff!
Pleeeze! Give me a break!
Bill Parisho

Tory

Real Name
Tory

Punky was uber popular with kids of the 80's across the gender lines and it is one of the few older (80's) sitcoms that is not given good syndication treatment I have seen at Wal-Mart which means the audience is large enough and in the "target" demographic. I really think people have underestimated the popularity of the series.

I do agree there is a wide enough audience for the UNCLE line, not just those who have seen it but curious people marketed to right would be interested too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks