What's new

The Man From U.n.c.l.e. Coming Out On Dvd This September? (1 Viewer)

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
"Could they have retained the rights to more popular series from that time period? Those three stick out as some of the strongest parts of popular culture of the time.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was one of the hottest shows of the sixties much more popular than Green Acres or The Outer Limits, at the height of it's fame the two leads Robert Vaughn and David McCallum were mobbed like rock stars at airports when they stepped off of an airplane. As Vaughn recounted on the Conan O'Brien show, when the Beatles came to the US they wanted to meet him so he was brought into the Capitol record building in an armoured car to protect him from the fans, as of course were they.

I think the problem here is what Leonard Maltin has said on his website about the studio's releases of classic films, that many of the studio people in a position to make the actual decisions are just unfamiliar with the material they have control over whether because of youth or just lack of exposure. It's too bad this highly sought after spy/adventure series isn't under the control of Universal who appear to be fast tracking their TV properties onto DVD now.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
UNCLE was one of the shows that fell victim to one of those "get violence off tv" crusades in the early 70s. After that, the syndication on the show really dropped. I remember when I first got into collecting and trading in the early 80s and there were only a small handful of stations in the country running the show and even then only once a week. The show was immensly popular and helped usher in the TV spy craze. All of the spy shows that came after it, Get Smart, Mission Impossible, Honey West, etc., came about because of UNCLE's popularity. Unfortunately, that doesn't translate to the world today and some 30-something or 20-something making a decision on DVD product would have no idea as to what the show meant in its time. And look at another show that was popular in that era, Get Smart, which is more widely known today and we can't even get that put out. I guess our best hope is for them to make some shitty UNCLE movie and maybe then. But it would be nice to see something while Vaughn and McCallum are still with us.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
UNCLE was one of the shows that fell victim to one of those "get violence off tv" crusades in the early 70s. After that, the syndication on the show really dropped. I remember when I first got into collecting and trading in the early 80s and there were only a small handful of stations in the country running the show and even then only once a week. The show was immensly popular and helped usher in the TV spy craze. All of the spy shows that came after it, Get Smart, Mission Impossible, Honey West, etc., came about because of UNCLE's popularity. Unfortunately, that doesn't translate to the world today and some 30-something or 20-something making a decision on DVD product would have no idea as to what the show meant in its time. And look at another show that was popular in that era, Get Smart, which is more widely known today and we can't even get that put out. I guess our best hope is for them to make some shitty UNCLE movie and maybe then. But it would be nice to see something while Vaughn and McCallum are still with us.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
One should never take anything said in a discussion forum too literal but in the context of a (supposed) DVD release of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (NBC 1964-68) tv series not being immediately reported by the so-called major online information sources like TV Shows on DVD and The Home Theater Forum you'd have to admit that would be inexcusable irresponsiblity...albeit from the detailed information that you so courteously supplied it sounds likely that whoever originated this notion of an impending September 2004 release date is probably mistaken...a real pity!

But that's precisely why I addressed the matter here to either confirm or refute this and at the very least I've been convinced that the online services like TV Shows on DVD are indeed making a sincere effort to report anything new about impending DVD releases.

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
One should never take anything said in a discussion forum too literal but in the context of a (supposed) DVD release of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (NBC 1964-68) tv series not being immediately reported by the so-called major online information sources like TV Shows on DVD and The Home Theater Forum you'd have to admit that would be inexcusable irresponsiblity...albeit from the detailed information that you so courteously supplied it sounds likely that whoever originated this notion of an impending September 2004 release date is probably mistaken...a real pity!

But that's precisely why I addressed the matter here to either confirm or refute this and at the very least I've been convinced that the online services like TV Shows on DVD are indeed making a sincere effort to report anything new about impending DVD releases.

Jeff T.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I'd love to see the series on dvd too!
And, I'd like to say thanks to Dave and Gord for their hard work! I appreciate the heads up and news about my favorite tv shows. It gives me something to look forward.
So thank you both!!!!! :D

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I'd love to see the series on dvd too!
And, I'd like to say thanks to Dave and Gord for their hard work! I appreciate the heads up and news about my favorite tv shows. It gives me something to look forward.
So thank you both!!!!! :D

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Oh, I don't doubt that by any means, but the other three were more fortunate in rerun syndication as well as cable bolstering their popularity. I do remember seeing The Man From U.N.C.L.E. a few times when I was really small on a weak powered station in the middle of the night and from that half transmission it looked good but obviously given the poverty of that station added with its timeslot it was slaughtered for syndication. Those other shows are the type that generally do better in syndication episodic cartoons filled with predictable yet great humor. The sitcom lasts better. As for The Outer Limits, the anthology aspect of the series along with the memorable opening allowed for a different story every time and it did better too. Frankly the presentation of Green Acres, Mr. Ed and The Outer Limits in rerun kept those series alive long after they were canceled thus making a connection with people not alive during their original runs and forming a more solid base in popular culture. Green Acres in particular is a great influence on the better sitcoms of the more recent era (in contrast with their then and present modern day peers not the classic series of years gone by) long after the series ended like NewsRadio, Just Shoot Me, South Park and The Simpsons.

I can see how they try to silent action shows in syndication but I notice comedies get more attention in reruns but I think they are also trying to catch a passive consumer with little time who needs a short diversion and the sitcom has proven a better vehicle followed by the sci-fi/fantasy series, then action then drama. Classic Dramatic TV series have been more lost than action as they are trying to make people think less. Action shows can be frivolous and entertaining as a distraction but they are and hour long and I think the heads think that is too long for week day schedules so now we see one or two hour long series on weekends but these always get bumped for sports, infomercials or shown too late. People miss them, lose their place and lose interest and now with DVD the need for this is gone so more infomercials come. Drama involves the most commitment as repeated viewing is needed.

Where are the studios priorities? Comedy! Given the popularity of the sitcom's lasting appeal through decades added to a nostalgic view of not my term "campy" action shows from the past almost every attempt to revive a classic action series in films has resulted in a comedy. They look at the past of television and laugh. The next Six Million Dollar Man will be Chris Rock! Now every good action show will have a comic moment but they are making subpar Jim Abrahamas films off of some fondly remembered series. Even Dukes of Hazzard with its light comic feeling is getting mauled with something more "stupid" movie feeling than what was there before.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. should have been treated better but it has been somewhat forgotten. I am shocked something like the Action channel that shows Avengers from time to time, does not show it. The Avengers as well as The Saint have managed to survive a little better but that may have something to do with the stars.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Oh, I don't doubt that by any means, but the other three were more fortunate in rerun syndication as well as cable bolstering their popularity. I do remember seeing The Man From U.N.C.L.E. a few times when I was really small on a weak powered station in the middle of the night and from that half transmission it looked good but obviously given the poverty of that station added with its timeslot it was slaughtered for syndication. Those other shows are the type that generally do better in syndication episodic cartoons filled with predictable yet great humor. The sitcom lasts better. As for The Outer Limits, the anthology aspect of the series along with the memorable opening allowed for a different story every time and it did better too. Frankly the presentation of Green Acres, Mr. Ed and The Outer Limits in rerun kept those series alive long after they were canceled thus making a connection with people not alive during their original runs and forming a more solid base in popular culture. Green Acres in particular is a great influence on the better sitcoms of the more recent era (in contrast with their then and present modern day peers not the classic series of years gone by) long after the series ended like NewsRadio, Just Shoot Me, South Park and The Simpsons.

I can see how they try to silent action shows in syndication but I notice comedies get more attention in reruns but I think they are also trying to catch a passive consumer with little time who needs a short diversion and the sitcom has proven a better vehicle followed by the sci-fi/fantasy series, then action then drama. Classic Dramatic TV series have been more lost than action as they are trying to make people think less. Action shows can be frivolous and entertaining as a distraction but they are and hour long and I think the heads think that is too long for week day schedules so now we see one or two hour long series on weekends but these always get bumped for sports, infomercials or shown too late. People miss them, lose their place and lose interest and now with DVD the need for this is gone so more infomercials come. Drama involves the most commitment as repeated viewing is needed.

Where are the studios priorities? Comedy! Given the popularity of the sitcom's lasting appeal through decades added to a nostalgic view of not my term "campy" action shows from the past almost every attempt to revive a classic action series in films has resulted in a comedy. They look at the past of television and laugh. The next Six Million Dollar Man will be Chris Rock! Now every good action show will have a comic moment but they are making subpar Jim Abrahamas films off of some fondly remembered series. Even Dukes of Hazzard with its light comic feeling is getting mauled with something more "stupid" movie feeling than what was there before.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. should have been treated better but it has been somewhat forgotten. I am shocked something like the Action channel that shows Avengers from time to time, does not show it. The Avengers as well as The Saint have managed to survive a little better but that may have something to do with the stars.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'll admit it: we can't cover everything as news items. Some DVD announcements will only be covered as release listings, and then they get added on a "when we get around to it" basis. We're just two people, after all!

When it's something like "Carry On Laughing" (that only 17 people voted for) or the Mr. Bean Animated Series (which has had under 1000 hits for each release listing or news post we've had on the subject), we seriously have to draw the line at using bandwidth on the subject. Bandwidth as in "site resources", and bandwidth as in "mine and Gord's time".

Gord and I do this at no charge. There is no "pay" for what we do; it's a "hobby". What small referal fees we get from the e-tailer links goes back into the hosting bill, which is barely being covered. Time spent on the site exacts a huge price in how much time it takes away from our personal lives (and I won't air dirty laundry by citing private anecdotes as examples). I'm not sure how much longer I can continue doing this.

We can't win with some readers, anyway. Some will think that reporting on such fringe stuff is "banal and mundane", others would accuse us of missing too much. I'd rather be right in the middle. And I don't mind if the Bliss sites, DVDAnswers, Digital Bits, ToonZone, DVDFile, DVDToons, or whoever beats us at times. At least I know I'm trying my hardest, with what resources I have available. And really, we have our readers to thank for a lot of what we are able to share with everyone.

"so-called major online information sources like TV Shows on DVD and The Home Theater Forum" Hey, it gives warm fuzzies to Gord and I (and, I suppose, to Ron and Parker (and the HTF Admin staff) as well) to even be considered among that class. We know we're no "Entertainment Tonight" or whatever. We're just regular guys with full-time jobs that pay the bills (I'm a Data Processor/Analyst), and we do these websites with whatever spare time we have!

Having said all of that, look for a breaking news story, probably within the next 48 hours. It is NOT anything to do with Man From U.N.C.L.E., but it's a hot story indeed, and yes, I've spent all morning writing it up. I'm waiting on one more thing before I post, but look for it soon.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'll admit it: we can't cover everything as news items. Some DVD announcements will only be covered as release listings, and then they get added on a "when we get around to it" basis. We're just two people, after all!

When it's something like "Carry On Laughing" (that only 17 people voted for) or the Mr. Bean Animated Series (which has had under 1000 hits for each release listing or news post we've had on the subject), we seriously have to draw the line at using bandwidth on the subject. Bandwidth as in "site resources", and bandwidth as in "mine and Gord's time".

Gord and I do this at no charge. There is no "pay" for what we do; it's a "hobby". What small referal fees we get from the e-tailer links goes back into the hosting bill, which is barely being covered. Time spent on the site exacts a huge price in how much time it takes away from our personal lives (and I won't air dirty laundry by citing private anecdotes as examples). I'm not sure how much longer I can continue doing this.

We can't win with some readers, anyway. Some will think that reporting on such fringe stuff is "banal and mundane", others would accuse us of missing too much. I'd rather be right in the middle. And I don't mind if the Bliss sites, DVDAnswers, Digital Bits, ToonZone, DVDFile, DVDToons, or whoever beats us at times. At least I know I'm trying my hardest, with what resources I have available. And really, we have our readers to thank for a lot of what we are able to share with everyone.

"so-called major online information sources like TV Shows on DVD and The Home Theater Forum" Hey, it gives warm fuzzies to Gord and I (and, I suppose, to Ron and Parker (and the HTF Admin staff) as well) to even be considered among that class. We know we're no "Entertainment Tonight" or whatever. We're just regular guys with full-time jobs that pay the bills (I'm a Data Processor/Analyst), and we do these websites with whatever spare time we have!

Having said all of that, look for a breaking news story, probably within the next 48 hours. It is NOT anything to do with Man From U.N.C.L.E., but it's a hot story indeed, and yes, I've spent all morning writing it up. I'm waiting on one more thing before I post, but look for it soon.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I don't doubt that by any means, but the other three were more fortunate in rerun syndication as well as cable bolstering their popularity.

Tory, though you are correct that the The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was left languishing in the vaults at MGM while other TV series were more widely syndicated it nevertheless was in it's day an international hit TV series playing in over sixty countries, spawning 8 successful theatrical film releases and a spin off series The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. in it's 4 year run. Something that could not be said of series like Green Acres or The Outer Limits, as much as they are enjoyable shows unto themselves.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I don't doubt that by any means, but the other three were more fortunate in rerun syndication as well as cable bolstering their popularity.

Tory, though you are correct that the The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was left languishing in the vaults at MGM while other TV series were more widely syndicated it nevertheless was in it's day an international hit TV series playing in over sixty countries, spawning 8 successful theatrical film releases and a spin off series The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. in it's 4 year run. Something that could not be said of series like Green Acres or The Outer Limits, as much as they are enjoyable shows unto themselves.

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
Henry, I couldn't of said it any better.
One of the reasons that UNCLE hasn't sustained the poularity of say, Star Trek or the Brady Bunch is because after the 1968 assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy various pressure groups threatened to boycott local stations if they showed reruns of tv shows that had too much violence in them. Shows like UNCLE,Combat,Wild Wild West,The Untouchables,and various westerns were taken off many UHF stations. From about 1970 thru 1985,it became hard for about 2 million viewers to see these violent shows. Meanwhile, it was OK for 40 million viewers to see the violence of SWAT,The Rookies,and Charlie's Angels!
So generations of tv watchers were exposed to certain shows and turned them into favorites. That's great. But believe me. I remember how hot UNCLE was in the 60's. Maybe you had to be there!
Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
Henry, I couldn't of said it any better.
One of the reasons that UNCLE hasn't sustained the poularity of say, Star Trek or the Brady Bunch is because after the 1968 assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy various pressure groups threatened to boycott local stations if they showed reruns of tv shows that had too much violence in them. Shows like UNCLE,Combat,Wild Wild West,The Untouchables,and various westerns were taken off many UHF stations. From about 1970 thru 1985,it became hard for about 2 million viewers to see these violent shows. Meanwhile, it was OK for 40 million viewers to see the violence of SWAT,The Rookies,and Charlie's Angels!
So generations of tv watchers were exposed to certain shows and turned them into favorites. That's great. But believe me. I remember how hot UNCLE was in the 60's. Maybe you had to be there!
Bill Parisho

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
The five-movie UNCLE disc set in R2 was released by Warners, if anybody's interested. Oddly enough on VHS, the few UNCLE episodes that were released were through MGM Home Video (but distributed by Warner Home Video). As these tapes have the Turner logo on them, I think Warners must have acquired the show via Turner.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
The five-movie UNCLE disc set in R2 was released by Warners, if anybody's interested. Oddly enough on VHS, the few UNCLE episodes that were released were through MGM Home Video (but distributed by Warner Home Video). As these tapes have the Turner logo on them, I think Warners must have acquired the show via Turner.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Just confirming the fact ;)

As a matter of fact, a release of more episodes of MFU would be welcomed this side of the puddle as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks