What's new

The Man From U.n.c.l.e. Coming Out On Dvd This September? (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Someone said that THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (NBC 1964-68) tv series is being released on DVD this September...is there any truth to information?

Thus far the TV Shows on DVD information website hasn't made any such announcement...as usual wasting everybody's time reporting on the most banal and mundane stuff imaginable.

So how about it? Can anyone officially confirm this extraordinary news of a great tv classic?

COME ON PEOPLE THIS NEWS 'IS' IMPORTANT!!!!!

Jeff T.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
You got me real excited Jeff for a minute. I was hoping you had an official announcement. Where did you here about this? I have heard nothing about this show coming to DVD although this is in my most wanted TV shows on DVD list so I hope its true.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
My source is rather "vague" about it with no real specifics which is pecisely why I'm inquiring here because I thought if this (momentous) news were true than certainly some "authoritative" individual close to the major DVD distributors would certainly know something about it.

When more information is made available to me I'll gladly share it here.

I did put a question mark in the title heading of this thread. Sorry if your hopes were dashed...but then this startling newsflash could be true!

Jeff T.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I really hope this series does make it to DVD in season sets! I've got the UK/R2 set of five of the "movies" edited from the series, but that isn't enough for me.

While they are at it, bring on the 1983 reunion TV movie as well.

I never much cared for "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." but they could add a couple of those as a bonus and I wouldn't mind.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I've been transferring mine that I have off-air from a Bay Area run in the late 80s, complete and remastered. I would love to see it come out but I don't have a lot of faith that it will. Even though its a classic series I just don't feel that its had enough play in syndication that would make it familiar to subsequent generations.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I'm sorry, but I have to stick up for www.tvshowsondvd.com

Gord and Dave do a wonderful job with that site. I doubt if any of us know the kind of hours they spend to make it the top quality resource it is (on top of doing their "day" jobs). I hardly think it is fair to say they're wasting everyone's time. If they had anything to report on UNCLE, you can be sure it would be there.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I'm sorry, but I have to stick up for www.tvshowsondvd.com

Gord and Dave do a wonderful job with that site. I doubt if any of us know the kind of hours they spend to make it the top quality resource it is (on top of doing their "day" jobs). I hardly think it is fair to say they're wasting everyone's time. If they had anything to report on UNCLE, you can be sure it would be there.

Steve

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
Your right Steve. tvshowsondvd.com is the place to go to confirm.
I know that some will disagree but I would like UNCLE to be broken up into half-seasons. Except the 4th season which could be put into one set. Cheaper that way, and they can still put in all kinds of cool bonus stuff.
Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
Your right Steve. tvshowsondvd.com is the place to go to confirm.
I know that some will disagree but I would like UNCLE to be broken up into half-seasons. Except the 4th season which could be put into one set. Cheaper that way, and they can still put in all kinds of cool bonus stuff.
Bill Parisho

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Steve...O, thanks for saying that. I appreciate it. Bill, thanks for your support, too. JeffT.'s remark kinda hurt my feelings, being the News Director there and all. However, I realize we can't please everybody.

JeffT., a few things to respectfully say to you:

1) One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just ask the folks who spend a lot of time at eBay. ;)

2) We can only report on what the studios announce. If Man From U.N.C.L.E. was anywhere on the radar screen, we would have said so. I'd love to get it in season sets.

3) We provide a service that might be right up your alley: you register at the site, vote for the exact shows you want to see on DVD, turn on your option for e-mail notification, and that's it. You will get e-mails automatically whenever Gord or I post a news item or release listing for one of the shows you voted for. You need not visit the site any other time, and then you will never be bothered by any info about any series that you aren't interested in, no matter how "banal".

As for the info that told you it would be "Sept": Well, it was released in the UK in Sept. 2003, so could there be a mix-up there?

MGM *ought* to own the home video rights, as far as I know. They've announced their Sept. slate, though, and the only "TV-DVD" release is the Rock Hudson mini-series "The Martian Chronicles" (a Ron Epstein fave).

The rights *could* have gone to Warner, I dunno. Warner released it in the UK, but that might be an overseas deal. In any case, Warner has also announced just about all of its Sept. line-up by now. In fact, they've got items on the schedule through Oct. 19th. Plus, Gord and I have a great relationship with folks at Warner. Neither of us has had any inkling of an U.N.C.L.E. release, or I'd be dancin' around the room naked. :)

Either studio could still announce a September TV-on-DVD release, it's not too late. But it's not looking good.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Steve...O, thanks for saying that. I appreciate it. Bill, thanks for your support, too. JeffT.'s remark kinda hurt my feelings, being the News Director there and all. However, I realize we can't please everybody.

JeffT., a few things to respectfully say to you:

1) One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just ask the folks who spend a lot of time at eBay. ;)

2) We can only report on what the studios announce. If Man From U.N.C.L.E. was anywhere on the radar screen, we would have said so. I'd love to get it in season sets.

3) We provide a service that might be right up your alley: you register at the site, vote for the exact shows you want to see on DVD, turn on your option for e-mail notification, and that's it. You will get e-mails automatically whenever Gord or I post a news item or release listing for one of the shows you voted for. You need not visit the site any other time, and then you will never be bothered by any info about any series that you aren't interested in, no matter how "banal".

As for the info that told you it would be "Sept": Well, it was released in the UK in Sept. 2003, so could there be a mix-up there?

MGM *ought* to own the home video rights, as far as I know. They've announced their Sept. slate, though, and the only "TV-DVD" release is the Rock Hudson mini-series "The Martian Chronicles" (a Ron Epstein fave).

The rights *could* have gone to Warner, I dunno. Warner released it in the UK, but that might be an overseas deal. In any case, Warner has also announced just about all of its Sept. line-up by now. In fact, they've got items on the schedule through Oct. 19th. Plus, Gord and I have a great relationship with folks at Warner. Neither of us has had any inkling of an U.N.C.L.E. release, or I'd be dancin' around the room naked. :)

Either studio could still announce a September TV-on-DVD release, it's not too late. But it's not looking good.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Warner would have the rights because UNCLE was produced by MGM television in the 60s and thus fell under the category of being part of the MGM library which was purchased by Turner in the mid-80s and is now under Warner's control.

Incidentally, Film Score Monthly magazine has released two double CDs of music from the series.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Warner would have the rights because UNCLE was produced by MGM television in the 60s and thus fell under the category of being part of the MGM library which was purchased by Turner in the mid-80s and is now under Warner's control.

Incidentally, Film Score Monthly magazine has released two double CDs of music from the series.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That was one of my thoughts in saying that Warner could have the rights...however, would that apply to a TV show? Or was that just the film library?

How did MGM get to release DVDs of the original Outer Limits, Green Acres, and Mister Ed shows then? All of those were produced in the 60s.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That was one of my thoughts in saying that Warner could have the rights...however, would that apply to a TV show? Or was that just the film library?

How did MGM get to release DVDs of the original Outer Limits, Green Acres, and Mister Ed shows then? All of those were produced in the 60s.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Could they have retained the rights to more popular series from that time period? Those three stick out as some of the strongest parts of popular culture of the time. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as well as the Girl are on my wish list and I hope to see them on DVD someday even if I was not around for the original run.

As for TV Shows on DVD, I think it is an excellent resource well run but they do miss a few things even if they are notified...but no bother, there are other places to look. I have seen boxsetbliss beat them on some release stories that sometimes do not even find their way to tvshowsondvd as well as digitalbits but more or less tvshowsondvd provides the best legitimate, earliest and consistent truth about forthcoming releases, I just wish they listened about Carry On Laughing and I see nothing about the third Mr. Bean The Animated Series Release, but that is but a small grievance.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Could they have retained the rights to more popular series from that time period? Those three stick out as some of the strongest parts of popular culture of the time. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as well as the Girl are on my wish list and I hope to see them on DVD someday even if I was not around for the original run.

As for TV Shows on DVD, I think it is an excellent resource well run but they do miss a few things even if they are notified...but no bother, there are other places to look. I have seen boxsetbliss beat them on some release stories that sometimes do not even find their way to tvshowsondvd as well as digitalbits but more or less tvshowsondvd provides the best legitimate, earliest and consistent truth about forthcoming releases, I just wish they listened about Carry On Laughing and I see nothing about the third Mr. Bean The Animated Series Release, but that is but a small grievance.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"How did MGM get to release DVDs of the original Outer Limits, Green Acres, and Mister Ed shows then? All of those were produced in the 60s."

None of those shows were produced by MGM. Outer Limits was produced by United Artists television which is not covered under what was sold to Turner. Green Acres and Mister Ed were produced by Filmways, which was acquired by MGM after the sale of the library to Turner.

So that would mean that all shows originally produced by MGM pre-Turner, would now be under Warner control. That also accounts for why the original "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" special is now a Warner DVD.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"How did MGM get to release DVDs of the original Outer Limits, Green Acres, and Mister Ed shows then? All of those were produced in the 60s."

None of those shows were produced by MGM. Outer Limits was produced by United Artists television which is not covered under what was sold to Turner. Green Acres and Mister Ed were produced by Filmways, which was acquired by MGM after the sale of the library to Turner.

So that would mean that all shows originally produced by MGM pre-Turner, would now be under Warner control. That also accounts for why the original "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" special is now a Warner DVD.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
"Could they have retained the rights to more popular series from that time period? Those three stick out as some of the strongest parts of popular culture of the time.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was one of the hottest shows of the sixties much more popular than Green Acres or The Outer Limits, at the height of it's fame the two leads Robert Vaughn and David McCallum were mobbed like rock stars at airports when they stepped off of an airplane. As Vaughn recounted on the Conan O'Brien show, when the Beatles came to the US they wanted to meet him so he was brought into the Capitol record building in an armoured car to protect him from the fans, as of course were they.

I think the problem here is what Leonard Maltin has said on his website about the studio's releases of classic films, that many of the studio people in a position to make the actual decisions are just unfamiliar with the material they have control over whether because of youth or just lack of exposure. It's too bad this highly sought after spy/adventure series isn't under the control of Universal who appear to be fast tracking their TV properties onto DVD now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks