What's new

The Man Called Flintstone (1 Viewer)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Well, I received an e-mail from Amazon.com saying that "The Man Called Flintstone" was not released on Tuesday, May 22nd and that they do not know when it will be coming out.

I don't get it either, Gang. A couple of you said that you saw it at Wal-Mart. Another said that they received their copy in the mail.

I went over to www.half.com eBay's sister website, and ordered a copy from there. Hopefully it will arrive next week.

I don't get it.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator

Time for a little detective work:

Both myself and Stephen Wright are from Canada and saw it at Wal-Mart.

Chris Pearson ordered from DVDsoon (a canadian based company) and Greg Madsen ordered from Amazon.ca.

Marco Biscotti says his local retailer from guess where...*Canada* has it listed for release.

Amazon.ca has it listed but .com says "Not Yet Released" (same with Dvdempire.com)

So... it looks like it arrived in time up here but not in the U.S? If so, that's certainly strange. Perhaps it's part of the Green Goose's new secret plot!:D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Paul, I was thinking exactly the same thing, even before a couple of people said they saw it at Walmart. I had looked at the on-line retailers, and Canada was the common thread. Now that we know two people who saw it in Walmart were also from Canada, we've got a pretty good idea of where the dvd has been released and where it hasn't.

Gary "very, very bizarre story with this release" O.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Guys, for the clarification on this. Things were not making sense until you two straightened it out. It's about time Canada got preferential treatment on something, eh?

I have always liked the movie and have been frustrated that it has had limited viewing on television over the years. I know Hanna-Barbera Home Video released it on VHS in the late 80's/early 90's, but I was on a very limited income at the time and couldn't afford it.

However, it is coming through www.half.com and I can view it as much as my little heart desires.

But the question still remains on why Warner Home Video pulled the release in America at the last minute? Curious minds want to know.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Well "The Man Called Flintstone" was originaly released by Columbia Pictures. I know that Warner Bros. owns all (or most)of the Hanna Barberra library so this delay apparently shouldn't be a legal problem. And as Greg mentiomed it WAS released on VHS a while back.

Perhaps (and this is just speculation) there WAS some last second hesitation regarding who has the full DVD rights for this film? Maybe Columbia knocked on Warner's door? I don't know.

I also went to the Internet Movie Database and noted what a user posted in the "Crazy Credits" section:

I just checked my disc and this has (understandably) been removed since it's now a Warner Bros release. But this got me thinking, could this be the hold up?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Ha, it's payback for not giving us the Classic Comedies Collection!

Go Canada!!

(PS - I have this in my posession right now and plan on watching it tomorrow morning :D)

Wezzo

Second Unit
I managed to get mine a while back, when it was first scheduled - apparently before my e-tailer realised it had been delayed. Either way, I noticed nothing that explains why this has been apparently delayed for a second time..

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Not to beat a dead dinosaur to death on this thread, but . . . if you go to Wal-Mart's American home page, it lists "Man Called Flintstone" available for rent only from them. It is available for rent immediately.

Did anyone know that Wal-Mart rents DVDs online? I didn't know this either.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up my copy at Walmart here in Ontario. The area around the hub on the playing side says "Made in Canada", so it seems for now this is a strictly Canadian release. Odd.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
If push comes to shove (or if your growing impatient)people from could always import it through Amazon.ca.

I remember for a time All in The Family was an American only release and canucks had to import it through the States to get it(thanks goodness for the Internet). So I know how this feels.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it, but this movie stinks.

I really wanted to enjoy it, I was really excited about it's release and am happy that I bought it... but what an idiotic film.

The intelligence and humor seen in the original series is streteched so far with this one it's barely even present. It's obvious not much thought went into this at all, it almost feels like an overlong TV special that got released to theatres with hopes that it might bring in extra profits. The quality of animation is certainly a step above its limited weekly television broadcast, but not by all that much. Definitely not up to par with theatrical productions and it feels like the movie was directed for children, unlike the TV show. I just didn't enjoy this one at all, and am a huge fan of The Flintstones.

I hope WB still finds merit in releasing some of the other specials though, I'd really like to see the holiday and Christmas specials that aired seperately from the regular season showings as well as some of the later TV movies and specials, specifically the two featuring Frankenstone and Rockula. I'd also like to see The Flintstones Meets The Jetsons movie released at some point as well.

Anyways, no big loss... I'm gonna go get started on season 3 now.

Frederick_A

Auditioning
Well, no wonder why I couldn't find it at Wal-Mart.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until it reaches stores here in the U.S.A., or no go at all.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I was unable to find it locally, and now it looks like I'll be ordering it from Canada. :)

Marco, sorry you didn't like it. I've seen it before and enjoyed it a lot!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i tried to order it through the blockbuster ordering system were i work.
they told me it was discontinued.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Another source to try to order the DVD is www.half.com. This is eBay's sister website where you can purchase NEW and used merchandise. You do not bid on anything; you just purchase what you want. You can get things for a reasonable price.

I purchased my copy through this website, and it should be arriving by the end of the week. It is coming from New York, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DVD cover says, "Made In Canada."

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
For European Flintstone fans interested in this title: Try ordering it from Loaded247.com

They get their DVDs from Canada. My order was despatched two days ago and should arrive by the end of the week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
if one of those half.com sellers is dvdlegacy, i'd be wary of them.
these were the people who were "selling" DUEL the first time it was pulled and alot of people ordered from them because they supposedly had it in stock.
it took awhile to get that resolved for a few including me.

i would email to make sure it is truly in stock before ordering.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Well I guess I had my expectations built up a little high with this one. The Flintstones is one of my all-time favorite animated sitcoms and I was anticipating something great with a full-length feature film. I don't regret ourchasing it, it's a campy Sunday morning lazy hangover disc that probably won't get much play but I guess anything Flintstones is good. I just thought the production and writing moreover, were way off. Something about Fred and Barney breaking off into those terrible son numbers just didn't feel right, and I have to question who ever wrote those in to begin with and what were they smoking? Anyways, I'm still happy I own the DVD... it's just not a very good movie imo.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
better check your favorite etailer and maybe a few others as it is appearring there as available to ship now.

i just ordered from overstock as it is listed with limited supply. and bb shows in stock also.

but on amazon..
Availability: This title will be released on December 31, 1969. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks