What's new

"The Majestic" Review (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
There was an advanced screening at our local military base last night for "The Majestic", so my son, his girlfriend and I piled into the car to check it out.

My son and I are both huge fans of Frank Darabont, and have enjoyed much of Jim Carrey's work. "The Majestic", although not an original film, was very enjoyable. It moved at a leisurely pace, not hurried, and gave time to a lot of character development and some great performances.

A young Hollywood screenwriter in the early 50's, on the verge of hitting it big, suddenly finds himself the subject of a Communist witchhunt. The studio cuts off contract negotiations, and his big movie is suddenly shut down.

After an evening of drinking, he decides to drive up the coast to clear his head and contemplate his future. Instead, he ends up in an accident, and washes up on the beach near a town that has lost more than 60 of its sons to World War II. He has amnesia, and is mistaken for the one son who was actually counted as missing in action.

I read someplace that this is the kind of movie that Jimmy Stewart used to make, and that's a pretty accurate statement. The amnesiac writer's appearance in town renews the spirit of its citizenship, and the man finds himself actually measuring up to the memory of the town's favorite son -- at least, until he regains his memory.

The movie was funny and sad, and is a pretty good film for the holidays. It also serves as a pretty nice nostalgia trip. My 17-year-old son admits to tearing up a couple of times at a couple of heart-tugging scenes. His favorite character was the old theater owner, played by Martin Landau, who is the first one to mistake the writer for his son.

A word of caution, however. Although rated PG, don't bring kids under 11 or 12. They will be bored silly.

Tomorrow: A sneak of "Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius!"

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Stephen,

Which base? There's a million in VA beach!! Thanks for the review. I am not so sure of this one. I also like FD's stuff a lot, but Jim Carrey doing drama is THE EXACT SAME every time. Those pleading eyes, the softer speech...

Take care and thanks,

Chuck

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,

How long is the movie? There's a sneak preview tomorrow night with Harry Potter and I want to know how long I'm in for.

Tyler Ruggeri

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I saw this one also.

I'm wondering what Jim Carrey is doing in a Robin Williams movie...

Schmaltz galore, people.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Busy weekend, sorry I didn't get back until today...

The only Navy "base theater" in our area is at the Little Creek Amphib Base - all shows .99 cents, and they sometimes get stuff less than a month after films have hit the first runs. In fact, at Thanksgiving, they screened "Harry Potter" four times for free! Lately, they've been getting a lot of advance sneak stuff, which is great, especially since they show the advance stuff for free.

BTW, the MainGate Regal Theater at Norfolk does not count as a "base theater," because they are run by a commercial company.

My watch told me that Majestic runs just shy of 2 hours 30 minutes....

There was a trailer attached for a new cop buddy reality show satire called "Showtime" with Robert Deniro, Eddie Murphy, Renee Russo and William Shatner.

Deniro and Shatner...now THAT'S funny!

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Looks to me that this is much like last Christmas season's The Family Man. There seems to be one every year this time of the year. Hmmm.... :)
~Edwin

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had reservations on seeing "The Majestic" having seen the trailer for it. I was even more aghast at the prospects of the film after I had seen the opening reel for the film. I was getting an uneasy feeling because the predictability of the film was pretty high. Then a funny thing happened with this film, yes, a film that Jimmy Stewart might have made, what happened was the thing called character development.

The film does lure the viewer with the leisurely pace of life in a small town, it slowly builds up the newly formed relationship between a "favorite" son and the town he left to go fight in WWII. By the time the film is over, the final 3rd act redeems the preceeding 2 acts, and you are left with an uplifting tale of finding one's self while being seemingly lost (in identity and honor) at the same time.

So, I will say that it was not as bad as I expected, and I found Jim Carrey's performance understated and also believale. I think Jimmy Stewart would have been proud of his performance. Martin Landau is able to conjure some powerful feelings in his scenes, and the rest of the cast is pretty good as well.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks