What's new

The Majestic details (1 Viewer)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I got the details for the dvd release of The Majestic with Jim Carrey.

So here goes :

The Majestic

Releasedate : 06-18-2002

SRP : $ 26.98 USD

Year: 2001

Director: Frank Darabont

Starring: Jim Carrey, Martin Landau, Laurie Holden, Allen Garfield

Special Features:

Movie Within the Movie: Sand Pirates of the Sahara - The Complete Sequence.

Additional Scenes.

Theatrical Trailer.

16x9 Widescreen Format.

Languages: English and French (Dubbed in Quebec).

Subtitles: English and French.

Interactive Menus.

Scene Access.

I realy liked this movie and I am going to buy this for sure.

Greetz

First positive thing I've heard about this movie. Jim Carrey's biggest flop both commerically and critically. The film made may critics year end top ten worst movie of the year lists. Rolling Stone declared it the worst movie of the year calling quote " a puke fest".

I'm curious to see it anyway ,can't be that bad. I will add to my Netflix rental queue for future viewing.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Ebert and Roeper quite liked it. I liked Hearts in Atlantis, which was similarly reviled, so I'll give this one a shot.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Had this movie been released in 1948 with Jimmy Stewart as its star, it would have been loved by reviewers. It has that old-timey feel to it (that was what Darabont was striving for after all). True, it was very "dramatic" and hokie, but damnit, I thought it was a refreshing change from the normal crap that has been infiltrating our theaters in recent memory. A good family drama to be sure!

I really enjoyed it.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
It had its fair share of schmaltz :), but hey I liked it. Very nostalgic, old-time feel to it, actually one of the better movies I saw last year.
Despite the critics comments, I hope some of you at least give it a chance as a rental, pretty entertaining little movie.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The Majestic is only now entering its theathrical run in Venezuela, and I'd been planning to skip it and wait for the DVD, but I might give it a shot in the theater, which is something I RARELY do. Carrie has a Jimmy Stewart-like vibe in the trailer that's got me actually looking forward to the movie.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Better late than never...just saw this last nite from the satellite.

I loved the movie. When you start off at Grauman's Chinese and then move on to a small town atmospheric palace theater, you've already got me. All the rest was gravy. Read the IMDB trivia section on this one.

I'm gonna go buy the DVD!

Jim

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched The Majestic with my wife's parents on Sunday night. It was their first viewing (and our 3rd). They loved the movie. So much so that they said they would recommend it to friends when they get back home.

Delightful motion picture!

Mark

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I'll chime in with my thumbs up :emoji_thumbsup: . My wife and I really enjoyed this movie. We've been seeing quite a few WW2 movies and documentaries lately, and she noted how this film was the first to show how small towns were affected by having so many soldiers go off to the war, and dealing with the loss of the ones that didn't come back.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I really liked the movie. Though it is pretty sappy. But definately not the year's worst film.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really liked this movie also. It is a Capra-corn film, which is what Frank Darabont was striving for. Plus, you got to love the film-within-a-film acting of Bruce Campbell!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I loved this film! Frank Darabont is quickly becoming my most reliable director for a great movie, all three of his films have been grandslams so far IMO.
To like this film, you have to allow your mind and ideals to go back to a place and time when films were pure and innocent, when romance was the order of the day and also people love of going out to the movies for the evening. Not a big expensive multiplex designed to churn out the latest blockbuster as loud and bombastic as possible like we have now, no, but a magical place where movies meant something.
Anyone who's had the pleasure of seeing a film in an old single screen movie palace knows what i'm talking about here, the feeling as you walk in is world's different than strollng into your average Regal 16 or Cinemark goo gooplex, you feel the history, you smell it in the air. Martin Landua's speech about old movie palaces is so dead on it's not even funny. I saw a screening of James Cameron's Titanic last year at the old Lowes Jersey theater in Jersey city and felt that feeling, this movie speaks to that.
The critics who disliked the film failed to allow themselves this trip through time I think, they looked at it with moderen, cynical and jaded eyes and ideals that had no place in this film. It sickens me that people think that just because a film failed to find it's audience at the box office it's labled a bad film and suddenly nobody wants to see it because of what critics say, that's a real shame, because this film contains more magic and nostalgia then people realize. I agree, if it had come out during Jimmy's era it would probably be considered a classic now. Shame that our times have robbed most of the ability to embrace such a wonderful film.
Bottom line: forget what the critics say, see it.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Great post John Williamson...I'd long forgotten this thread, but this was what I was trying to say last year :)
Fantastic post :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks