What's new

The Magnificent Seven remake... (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I did not see Seth Rogen do his Green Hornet thing but I mean these are not serious characters and it's all just cartoonish fiction so I don't see any problem in tinkering with these characters from version to version. I thought Adam West was the definitive Batman because he got exactly how goofy a guy running around fighting crime dressed like a bat is. Adam West destroys Christian Bale's Batman...which honestly is a train wreck of epic proportions.

The Lone Ranger is not a "serious" character so I don't really think there is anything wrong with how he is played in Verbinski's film. He also is not "The Lone Ranger" for most of the film because the film is about how he came to be "The Lone Ranger."

Tonto is the one telling the tale and so we are basically seeing the Lone Ranger and the story through his eyes/memory. I liked this idea and yes, it was a tribute to Little Big Man. Verbinski's film is celebrating things he loves about westerns and movies in general. I think that makes it a very fun film if you also like westerns and older films. Honestly, I'm not a fan of Disney films generally. I don't go to see much that comes out of the House of the Mouse. I have to say The Lone Ranger was not a very Disney film in my opinion as it is pretty violent, features hookers, a whore house, open fetishistic sexual behavior, cannibalism, genocide, a rather large dose of that Spaghetti Western nihilism, and a general nasty streak. All this and threw in some political and social messages as well. Which I thought really made the film interesting. It also made me wonder who the film was supposed to be aimed at and if Disney knew what they got themselves into. The only other Disney film I can recall getting so weird (and it was mainly at the end) was The Black Hole.

Personally, I thought it was a far better film than all the super hero/giant robot/this movie is one long product placement garbage that passes for summer entertainment...but that's just me.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
upload.jpg

First image off the set. Plus the trailer is dropping tomorrow, so I'm told.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Okay, after finally watching the thing - it doesn't look too bad. It needs more Elmer Bernstein, but it doesn't raise red flags or send me screaming for the hills (which, when you are a remake, avoiding those two conditions is a solid win). I'll probably check it out.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hopefully it's good. I'm not impressed with the teaser trailer. It didn't do anything to me, good or bad.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
No more point to remaking Magnificent Seven than Battle Beyond the Stars, A Bugs Life, The Seven Magnificent Gladiators, Duel of the Seven Tigers, Samurai 7 or The Wild East had.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Don't like the music from 1:51 on. The international trailer has other music, like that better.

Anyhow I can't wail to see this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Currently sitting at 64% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

Musically, we seem to be in a good news/bad news situation. The good news is that Horner had completed seven suites of music for the film based on the screenplay, which his assistant Simon Franglen was able to align to the finished movie and flesh out into a full score. So we're getting one more, posthumous James Horner score. The bad -- possibly unforgivable -- news is that Elmer Bernstein's iconic themes from the original apparently do not appear until the end credits, which seems like a colossal missed opportunity.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Currently sitting at 64% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

Musically, we seem to be in a good news/bad news situation. The good news is that Horner had completed seven suites of music for the film based on the screenplay, which his assistant Simon Franglen was able to align to the finished movie and flesh out into a full score. So we're getting one more, posthumous James Horner score. The bad -- possibly unforgivable -- news is that Elmer Bernstein's iconic themes from the original apparently do not appear until the end credits, which seems like a colossal missed opportunity.

In a recent interview Simon Franglen discusses that point and the reasoning he offers makes sense.

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=16491

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Looking forward to seeing this one. I've never seen the original which I'll have to check out also. But, I enjoy westerns, Denzel's movies, and Antione Fuqua's movies, so three a good chance I'll enjoy this one.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I've listened to the soundtrack and I must say that it is a very good score. I'm glad they decided to use Horner's compositions and they really shine. Bernstein's theme was a nice way to end the album and does feel like the way Giacchino used the Trek theme in the new movies. I really enjoyed the album and it was nice to have one last Horner score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks