What's new

International THE LUNCHBOX - THOSE ANNOYING ANTI SMOKING ADS. (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
THE LUNCHBOX is a great movie but don't watch the dvd from India. I recently imported a copy from India and was stunned to see that whenever an actor smokes , the words 'smoking kills ' are shown on the screen. How stupid is this?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Oh, we've had stupider things in this country:The anti-smoking lobby in the US frequently took to unreasonable stunts regarding movie smoking, hoping to martyr themselves by being shot down--Their campaign to have audiences "cough" every time an onscreen character lights up didn't go anywhere, so they had a crazier idea: Petition the MPAA to declare smoking as grounds for an R/PG-13 rating.
The stupid part? The MPAA said "Okay!" :rolleyes:

(I have just have this picture of how that must have gone down with the anti-smoking lobby:"We demand that smoking get an R-rating in pictures!""Okay!"
"W-wait, what do you mean, 'okay'?"
"I mean, okay, sounds like a good idea."
"No, wait, hold it! You're supposed to call us 'reactionaries', and then go on Nightline, and have the tobacco spokesmen act all evil, and the studios say we're acting fascistic and ridiculous, and then we fight back with statistics, and then we take our campaign to the Internet, 'n stuff!"
"Well, don't think you'll have time for that, we'll be starting it right away.""Uh, well, thanks--C'mon, guys, let's go, we, er.....won, I guess. :mellow: " )

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
We all know that smoking kills but so does taking illegal drugs and drinking cola soft drinks. So should there be no more films which favour drinking cola drinks or taking drugs for pleasure?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Wading in with both feet...

1) Drinking a soft drink doesn't kill the person next to you while you're drinking it. Nor does drinking a soft drink in your car cause COPD for your children later in life.

Both my wife and I have been diagnosed with COPD due to exposure to second-hand smoke when we were growing up (we have never been smokers ourselves). Our parents smoked like chimneys.

2) I begged my mother to stop smoking. She said she couldn't, that she was too addicted. Yet, the very day the doctor told her that she had cancer, she never picked up another cigarette. Amazing the human willpower when you know you are going to die. She managed to live for another 14 years but lung cancer eventually got her. It was a slow and agonizing death. She suffocated to death, slowly, as each day her lungs were less able to sustain her. It was a horrible way to die. I don't wish it on anyone. Yet, smokers keep right on sucking on their cancer sticks, living in denial.

I would be in favor of a ban on smoking in movies. It's a vile, disgusting habit that needs to evaporate from the earth.

Mark

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not in favour of banning or censoring smoking in films, think of all the old classics that would be lost forever but i will say that i intensely dislike the habit and do not like people blowing their smoke my way, i would not be a nice person if anyone did that, i think it would be ridiculous to make a film about the thirties or forties and not have smoking in it, it's historically accurate to have that in and i am not into political correctness, just do not smoke near me and we'll get along fine. :D

I see Mark's point though and agree with some of his post especially the part where he says it's a vile disgusting habit, i would add smelly habit too, i have been behind people in the queue at supermarkets and you could smell it on them, they reeked of smoke, the smell makes me sick, as does the smell of garlic, no i am not a vampire, at least i don't think i am, hmmm i better check, i am up late, it's dark and i do need a bite, maybe i am a vampire, i am a bit pale at the moment too, don't anyone tell the lost boys.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
FoxyMulder said:
I'm not in favour of banning or censoring smoking in films, think of all the old classics that would be lost forever but i will say that i intensely dislike the habit and do not like people blowing their smoke my way, i would not be a nice person if anyone did that, i think it would be ridiculous to make a film about the thirties or forties and not have smoking in it, it's historically accurate to have that in and i am not into political correctness, just do not smoke near me and we'll get along fine. :D

I see Mark's point though and agree with some of his post especially the part where he says it's a vile disgusting habit, i would add smelly habit too, i have been behind people in the queue at supermarkets and you could smell it on them, they reeked of smoke, the smell makes me sick, as does the smell of garlic, no i am not a vampire, at least i don't think i am, hmmm i better check, i am up late, it's dark and i do need a bite, maybe i am a vampire, i am a bit pale at the moment too, don't anyone tell the lost boys.
Kiss a non-smoker and notice the difference. Most smokers have no sense of smell otherwise they would notice that their homes stink, especially all their linen,clothes, curtains,couches etc.Some people (without sounding racist) also have odours emanating from their bodies due to the food that they eat.This can be unbearable if you stand next to them - much worse than standing next to smokers. Maybe we should ban people too if we want an odour free society?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
cinerama10 said:
Some people also have odours emanating from their bodies due to the food that they eat.This can be unbearable if you stand next to them - much worse than standing next to smokers. Maybe we should ban people too if we want an odour free society?
I wouldn't go that far, that can be an issue that is hard to control, smoking is a personal choice, second hand odour doesn't kill you.

FalconEPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raaj Vakil
Hey everyone. I was a smoker for 20 years and recently switched to ecigarettes. Haven't touched a cigarette for 4 months. Even the smell of a cigarette annoys me now. I saw the Ecig first time in a movie called DRIVE HARD (*ing John Cusack). Check it out, make the switch & live longer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks