What's new

The Lucy Show Season 1 Spring 2009 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yeah, I made the same mistake myself for many years before someone wised me up. Definitely doesn't feel like New York to me either.

Gary "this one is less than a week away now!" O.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
In actuality there is not a Danfield Ct, it is Danbury Ct. I also made this mistake over the years and thought she was in CT during this show. Especially when I lived near Danbury CT and the snow drifts reminded me of the winter episodes of the Lucy Show.

I guess I would have to put my vote in for Westchester County. Looking forward to this set.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
"Oh how I hated those preachy, liberal sitcoms from the 70's where every virtue became a vice and every vice became a virtue. Not all sitcoms from that era fell into this trap, but many did. One Day at a Time is a perfect example (as was Maude)."

Actually I was surprised by the DVDS of Maude's first season.....I had forgotten that they DID poke fun of Maude's liberalism AT FIRST.....they quickly aboandoned that in favor of making HER look like the level headed one and anyone who disagreed with her to be the moron.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Mine arrived today and I have watched the first episode never seen it before but it was great. Really enjoyed, picture quality was great cant wait to start watching the rest now.
Packaging is a normal DVD case with a cardboard sleeve.

DoreSchary

Agent
Real Name
Dore
Which site did you purchase it from to receive it early?

Originally Posted by 70sTVlover

Mine arrived today and I have watched the first episode never seen it before but it was great. Really enjoyed, picture quality was great cant wait to start watching the rest now.
Packaging is a normal DVD case with a cardboard sleeve.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
HTF Rule 7:

7. No breaking "street date". Please do not post information about retail or other sources that have DVDs or other video releases available for sale before the official "street date".

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

I just got my copy of "The Lucy Show - The Official First Season" and let me just say that this seems to be the benchmark for how to do television on DVD. Everyone involved did an outstanding job. The source material seems clean and completely restored. The box has the standard Paramount disclaimer about music replacement, but I haven't found any as yet, and I've sampled about half the episodes so far.

The menu gives you an option to play each episode with the original sponsored openings, cast commercials and closings or with the cleaner openings off the negatives. The extras include chatty interviews with Lucie Arnaz (who made her acting debut on this show) and Jimmy Garrett who played Jerry Carmichael. Jerry also discusses the extensive promotional items sold in stores during the first season. The cast bios and flubs are in a format very similar to what is found on I Love Lucy. And the menus themselves have one or two surprises.

My favorite bonus may be "A Message from CBS DVD" which features the cartoon figures of Lucy and Viv in the familiar episode credit roll displaying the following memo from the producers of this DVD:

"Dear Fans,

We are delighted to be bringing you THE LUCY SHOW.
Seldom in our history have we received so many requests to receive a television program on DVD.
But that’s not so surprising; It stars the First Lady of television comedy, Lucille Ball, with her longtime sidekick, Vivian Vance, in all-new laugh-filled adventures. Plus, the episodes were written and produced by many of the same creative team as I LOVE LUCY
We recognize how much you, the fans, love classic TV… and so do we. All 30 episodes from this season have been beautifully remastered from original film negatives, and are presented here with a long list of extras.
Included among our special features are clips from the CBS Television special “Opening Night” which introduced several shows from CBS’s 1962 Fall line-up, including THE LUCY SHOW. “Opening Night” has not been seen since the program’s original airing in 1962. We also have special interviews with Lucie Arnaz and cast member Jimmy Garrett; rare cast commercials and network promos; and an avalanche of cast bios, production notes and interesting ‘flubs.
Many thanks to all who contacted us, and please enjoy THE LUCY SHOW Season 1 on DVD… Again and again.
CBS DVD”

All others take note: This is how classic TV on DVD is done. This is far and away the best season of "The Lucy Show" with many outstanding moments of comedy that can stand proudly next to the work done by Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance in "I Love Lucy." This is a TV-on-DVD dream come true for me and I for one can't wait to for season two which will be Lucy's first in color!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I Recieved this set as a gift today, and it looks nice.

The DVDs are set up much like the I Love Lucy sets, with guest cast info, flubs, original elements, production notes, and the like. I guess that's to be expected, though. The Executive Producer of this DVD set was also involved with Season 6 of ILL and the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour box set. Plus, why fix something that isn't broke?

One thing I thought was interesting, though, was the flyer included in the box set for MPI's Desilu and Lucy offerings. The flyer advertised Here's Lucy season 1, The Mothers In Law, Lucy's movies, and a documentary. I would never have thought to see something like that... I mean, all these products are from another company. But, it's nice to see some advertising for this stuff. Who would be more likely to pick up Here's Lucy than someone who bought The Lucy Show?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

One thing I thought was interesting, though, was the flyer included in the box set for MPI's Desilu and Lucy offerings. The flyer advertised Here's Lucy season 1, The Mothers In Law, Lucy's movies, and a documentary. I would never have thought to see something like that... I mean, all these products are from another company. But, it's nice to see some advertising for this stuff.
I noticed that, too. They must have some sort of deal. During Lucie's interview, they showed clips of Here's Lucy courtesy of MPI (the transfers look sharp and colorful, BTW). I think Lucie owns a piece of Here's Lucy.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green

During Lucie's interview, they showed clips of Here's Lucy courtesy of MPI (the transfers look sharp and colorful, BTW). I think Lucie owns a piece of Here's Lucy.
The episodes included on the DVD set "The Best of Here's Lucy" were just about the best prints of a TV show I've ever seen. I hope they maintain that quality on the season sets.

As far as I know, Lucie and her brother Desi entirely own "Here's Lucy," having inherited Lucille Ball Productions from their mother twenty years ago.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff ">[/url]

As far as I know, Lucie and her brother Desi... inherited Lucille Ball Productions from their mother twenty years ago.

[/QUOTE]God, 20 years already. I remember that day hearing the news about her passing while I was driving to work over Laurel Canyon.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Does anyone know when we can expect the next release of her tv specials from MPI or the complete set of The Mothers-In-Law? Can't wait for more dvds of one of my favorite tv stars.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, I'm sure you know she won't be seen in The Mothers-in-Law .. although the series was certainly in the spirit of her type of TV comedy.

MPI had announced it would be out "before the end of the year."

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Well, I'm sure you know she won't be seen in The Mothers-in-Law .. although the series was certainly in the spirit of her type of TV comedy.
More than just the spirit. Virtually the only people missing were Lucy and Viv in the lead roles. You had Desi Arnaz producing, Bob Carroll and Madelyn Davis as writers, Wilber Hatch doing the music, etc. I'm really looking forward to this one!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

MPI had announced it would be out "before the end of the year."
Yeah, I just think it's going to be a great set. I love all kinds of classic tv shows. So I'm definitely looking forward to this. Plus Eve Arden is in it. So it's got to be a fun show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks