What's new

The Lucy Show Season 1 Spring 2009 (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I've seen that "original negatives" comment before, and they turned out to be syndicated prints.

For some shows -- as unbelieveable as it seems -- they cut the original negatives to make "original syndicated negatives" -- and threw what they cut away!

Joe "The Voice of Doom" Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

I'm afraid you're jumping to conclusions. I'm more than old enough to remember that time.

It seems like yesterday when I sat down to watch the first episode of "The Lucy Show" the night of Monday, October 1, 1962. I was 12 at the time, and "I Love Lucy" was my favorite show.

It seemed odd at first to see what amounted to Lucy and Ethel without Ricky and Fred, but it quickly won me over as I saw Lucy and Ethel (Viv) were pretty much the same as they had always been.

To the point, though: Sitcoms in 1962-63 were 26 minutes, including the opening and closing credits. There were three minutes of commercials during the show and one minute between shows. They got shorter later in the decade.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

Gary, do you have a list of all your Christmas-themed television episodes?

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
What can I say .... I am SO excited to hear that this often ignored TV series is FINALLY coming out on DVD, officially! I've waited years and years for this SPECIAL day to come ... and now, it's just around the corner.

I do hope that the sales of season 1 are strong enough to green light seasons 2 and 3 and possibly the later seasons. I would love to own more of this series on DVD. It doesn't just stop at season 1, at least, to me.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm in for all the seasons and will consider this release a big dissapointment if we don't get all 6 seasons even if some are better than others. Seasons 1 and 6 and nowhere near as good as the rest of I love Lucy but that was no reason not to release them.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I just wanted to add to my worries that "The Lucy Show" was shown on CBS weekday mornings, starting in 1968, and they were cut for that. It was those cut versions (often with new music added for the new breaks for commercials) that were the basis of the syndicated versions.

It's possible they're using those cut versions. Only time will tell. Never in my life have I more wanted to be proved wrong.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Are the same people that worked on the I Love Lucy season also working on this? If so, I'm sure we'll get the best set possible.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
"Best set possible."

That's exactly what I'm worried about. It's possible only the cut prints exist now. The original complete negatives -- and this series hasn't been seen uncut since it was first shown, over 45 years ago -- might have been lost or destroyed.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I have bootlegs that include the handful of episodes released by Columbia House from the first season on. They all run 25 minutes. I don't think there is anything to worry about in regards to them being full length. The music, may be another story based on past CBS/Paramount releases.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yes I do, Martin. If you'd like a copy let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Gary "nothing like Christmas-themed TV, especially from the 50's and 60's" O.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is Lucy we are talking about. I cannot believe anyone would cut into the original films. This show was highly rated. Yes it was not "I Love Lucy". I only own the "Shower episode" and the color "Jack Benny Bank episode". I do not remember any of the seasons. I remember watching all of "The Lucy Show" as a 9 year old kid. "Here's Lucy" was opposite Peyton Place in Peytons last season so I missed a great deal of "Here's Lucy. Peyton Place is being restored now and out on May 19th. I bring this up only because Peyton Place came out in 1964 and the episodes are running 25 minutes long and it was on ABC show from Fox. Lucy and Desi were Presidents of Desilu during "The Lucy Show". Desi the first season I belive until as we all know Lucy bought him out. I just cannot wrap my head around someone cutting into that show.

Mark

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, according to CBS and TVonDVD.com it's new printings from the original negatives, so it would SEEM to be much ado about nothing.

I'm thinking CBS has learned a lesson from The Fugitive situation and is trying to head off any problems at the pass. I will admit, having never watched an episode of The Lucy Show, I'm intrigued enough to give this a try.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If, in fact, all that's left is the edited masters then that's that. It would be all that they could possibly release. However, let's hope it's totally and really complete. But just because "it's Lucy" doesn't mean that the show's originals were never touched. TV networks do stupid and hideous things without thinking.

I would be shocked if every season of this show came out. Mostly because younger viewers will know little about this show. But you can still see I Love Lucy anywhere you lay your hat. Shows that aren't as well-known (especially to younger buyers) often don't do that well. I would expect a couple of seasons, certainly.

Bottom line: Lots of fans are thrilled to see this release finally happen. Those fans also want multiple seasons of the show to come out. So what to do ? It's very simple actually, BUY THE SHOW! In fact, you might consider buying an extra for your favorite Lucy-loving friend or family member. Either someone who fondly remembers the show or a younger person who'd love to discover it.

If you don't support this release by buying it then you ain't getting more of 'em, folks.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

If seldom-seen shows like That Girl, Family Affair, The Doris Day Show, McHale's Navy, ect. can come out on DVD with all of their seasons released, then certianly The Lucy Showcan. Afterall, this TV series stars the one and only Queen of Comedy, Lucille Ball. You can't get any better than that. Not to mention that this series was a consistent top 10 hit back in the 60s with it's very last season being the second most-watched show in the USA.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It would seem odd and amazing to find that That Girl and The Doris Day Show would be released in their entirety, but not The Lucy Show.

Only time will tell -- although the last three seasons in Los Angeles are very different from the first three in Danfield, and without Viv (and Lucy's real Lucy characterization) there might be a drop in Season 4 sales.

Lucy fans will also have to sweat out six seasons of Here's Lucy. (I doubt Life With Lucy will ever end up on DVD, but you never know.)

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Well, season 4 does have the last television appearance of William Frawley (TV's "Fred Mertz") not to mention Lucille Ball's favorite 'Lucy' episode ever ("Lucy Dates Dean Martin"). Also, there are additional episodes with the Countess played by Ann Sothern in this season. And there's the episodes that feature Jay North of Dennis the Menace, Bob Crane of Hogan Heroes, Robert Stack of The Untouchables, Art Linkletter, and the much younger-looking Doris Singleton (I Love Lucy's Carolyn Appleby). And not to the mention that very special Christmas episode with Lucy and her all-boy Christmas choir which was the very last episode to feature Lucy's son, Jerry, is included in this season. Plus, we get to see Lucy meet up with Mr. Mooney for the first time in their new hometown as well as Lucy meeting her new best friend, Mary Jane Lewis. These are just some incentives of why some would may want to purchase season 4 if it comes out on DVD.

As for season 5 ... I think this may be the season that will experience the lowest sales or the drop in sales. Afterall, this is the season that has been released continuously by almost every company and their brother. I don't think fans would want to buy more of the same. However, if CBS/Paramount were smart, they would load season 5 up with extras and present the episodes in unedited, crystal clear form. Same goes for Season 6.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I'm in for every season. I'm sure these sets will be as good as the ILL sets, and so we don't have to worry about later seasons not having extras. There will always be promos and things to put on there.

Also, I'll be getting the upcoming Here's Lucy sets, have you guys heard that news (Here's Lucy DVD news: DVDs Planned for Here's Lucy (season sets) | TVShowsOnDVD.com)?

Hopefully everything by Lucy will thus be out.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Yes, I've heard the news. And I am syked about that too! We are FINALLY getting more Lucy out on DVD ... what a dream come true. But I do have a concern though ... I hope that the sales for Here's Lucy don't take away the sales for The Lucy Show and visa-versa. Both shows, I think, are worth having on DVD and I hope every Lucy fan out there buys them. It definitely would be awesome to see most of the Lucy television out on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks