What's new

The Love Boat (1 Viewer)

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
Yes, but Star Trek is sci fi with a built in audience of collectors who pay astronomical prices for all things Star Trek, whether it be toys, collectibles, books, etc.

Love Boat is a show that appeals mostly to the average consumer. And when the average consumer sees the price for the amount of episodes they're getting -- a half of a season, it's going to make everyone sea sick.

Warner did the same thing with Knots Landing. Fans on soapnet circulated a petition which garnered over two thousand signatures to get the show on dvd. But when Season One was released, at nearly the same price for the same amount of episodes, Warner stated 'Sales did not perform to expectations.'

Well, what did they think? Charging 39.99 for 13 episodes is robbery. Consumers may tolerate studio greed to an extent but they don't suffer as fools lightly. If many collectors are going to pass due to price, there's less hope for the average consumer to shell out the big bucks for such a measley release.

What I would like to know is how Paramount justifies such a high price. Music licensing costs? What music. Are Charo's residuals that high?

Love Boat on dvd just hit a pricing iceberg and is now going to sink faster than the Titanic. And sadly, not the James Cameron film version either.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Don't they have to get clearances from all of the actors involved as well as music including the theme song? This might explain some of the ridiculous cost.

However, the company licensing the upcoming All Star Family Feud DVD was able to get clearances from all the different casts/shows involved, so perhaps this is not the issue with Love Boat.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I am a hypocrite! yup that's right i have softened my stance and now plan to buy this set. I just can't help myself, some Love Boat is better than none at all i guess. This thought has popped into my head about Volume releases that to my knowledge has not been brought up, or atleast i have not seen it mentioned in this way before. That is i wonder if the Studios release certain series in volumes because they figure they won't sell well to begin with. So to make up for that fact and the cost of releasing things they need to get twice the money for each season to make it cost effective? I dunno, i would have no problem paying $60 for the whole season right off the bat to begin with, instead of $30 x2, but maybe there is a whole demographic outside of the online universe that prefers it that way ? So in the end i caved and finally bought The Streets of San Francisco sets and now i plan to get the Love Boat, so much for my stance on this issue. But these studios better followthrough with quicker releases and completely release these shows!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Aryn,

I'm thinking about "waffeling" as well on this one :) I'm still thinking about passing on it but for a couple of other reasons, one being $$'s savings since I know if I wait ~6 months the set will sell for a lot less online or at a local store. LB isn't one of my "Holy Grail's", otherwise I'd get it for sure.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Jeff: yeah i know exactly what your saying, so far on my list for february i only see Magnum S8 to purchase, If i start getting flooded with things to buy, there is a chance i might wait a little longer to buy it aswell.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Well i caved and placed my order for this today. I just could not resist, despite my hatred for volume releases. Just a heads up the place to order looks like Best Buy it is only $24.99!! good deal!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Nice Pick-Up, It was in such small writing i did not even notice that. I can't imagine it being music related. I am assuming they may have used syndicated cuts for some episodes. Hmmm..

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I am not sure what to make of that. They sound pretty complete to me. I guess a few seconds could be removed from those two episodes. I won't worry about that then i guess. Do you have the set allready ?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

I do have a review copy of the set for my quickstopentertainment write-up.

I get the idea that Paramount now puts that disclaimer on all their DVD sets just to make sure nobody can sue them for "incomplete episodes" since it might be missing a second or two from the broadcast original version.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

That makes some sense i guess. Hey, link your review when you have it up. I will be interested to take a look. Sitcomsonline should have theres up today or tomorrow aswell.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
It could be, if a character is singing a few lines of a popular song and they have to edit it out because it is cost-prohibitive to include it.

Why can't we just get the music clearance rights changed so this doesn't have to happen over and over??

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I don't see it mentioned -- is the theme song intact? It wouldn't be "The Love Boat" without Jack Jones warbling the famous theme [his version is best by a country mile, btw).

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Theme song is intact. They don't try to fake it with Row Row Row Your Boat done on kazoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks