What's new

The Longest Day (2-disc R1)??? (1 Viewer)

Trav

Grip
I've recently acquired a WWII curiosity and I'm looking to pick up a copy of "The Longest Day" on DVD. However, search results seem to indicate that there is a 2-disc SE of this movie for Region 2 but apparently not for Region 1? However, I did find (what seems to be) a preorder for a Region 1 version coming out in 5/06.

Would this be the one to wait for?

The Longest Day (2 disc)

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I hope that this is a new 2-Disc Release. The Longest Day is one of my favorite movies of all time and I will gladly double dip on this one.

TedD

Supporting Actor
And put the d**n subtitles where they belong, not in the black bars!

Ted

Trav

Grip
Looks like the 2-disc SE is indeed coming in May! Also, looks like Patton and Tora, Tora, Tora are also coming out at that time with 2-disc SE (all of them anamorphic too). All of this according to the Bits on 2/16/06.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
What is the problem with subtitles being on the black bars? Easier to read I would think? Of course that is one extra I never use just like I rarely listen to commentaries but do advocate trailers and documentaries.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Try it with a constant height screen and you will very quickly see the problem.

Ted

Jim-M

Second Unit

The subtitles aren't an extra - they show up when the Germans are speaking German. In the current non-anamorphic version the subtitles get cut off on widescreen TVs if you view the movie in its proper aspect ratio. You don't notice it as a problem on a 4:3 TV, but as soon as you go widescreen it's an issue.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Well, since the new picture is anamorphic, presumably they will have to place the subtitles within the 16:9 frame. That problem should be eliminated.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Bump!

I have the World War II Collection and "The Longest Day" is the only non-anamorphic one in the bunch. Before I double dip, is it confirmed that the new two disc release is "enhanced for wide screen TV's"?

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the new 2-Disc set has a brand-new anamorphic transfer with the original subtitles intact. Worth double dipping for that alone, not to mention the great new special features.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Thanks for the quick response Chris. I wanted this special edition so much. I LOVE this movie. But I couldn't really justify buying it again unless we had an anamorphic transfer. Now I can double dip guilt free!

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
After waiting a long time for the anamorphic release of "The Longest Day", I was very disappointed in the image sharpness. I guess whatever they used for the master was just not good enough. I ended up watching it on a small widescreen monitor. On the plus side the bonus disc was good with some interesting location footage and backstory. I remember seeing this film in 63' while stationed in Wurzburg, Germany and I just wished it was as sharp as I remembered.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
You are right, the tampering with the sharpness is atrocious. Hard to believe this B&W presentation, especially considering its "vintage", comes from the same studio as the Studio Classics line; I can see why they didn't make this title one of them.

Sharpness is so jacked up some of the subtitles are very hard to read. But it's anamorphic and subtitles are in the right place. A decent set, but very substandard PQ. If no better elements are available I apologise for the harsh criticism, but it isn't good, though some scenes much better than others (which still doesn't mean good).

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought it was fairly soft at times; certainly the print they used is far from pristine - it's been quite a while since I've watched a film from one of the majors that still has reel change markers. But it's quite watchable IMHO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this last week and didn't notice these problems. Perhaps, I was too much into the film.

Crawdaddy

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Crawdaddy: I love the movie, so I hope I didn't leave too negative an impression of the film itself. I just felt the PQ was not up to the standards of older B&W presentations from Fox. Much less smoothness than expected. Very watchable though. I watched it!! And will again. It's just that I expect better from Fox, perhaps spoiled child syndrome??

Edit: John, are you watching an R2 version? Softness is hard to equate to what I saw.

Oh yeah, Happy Normandy Invasion Memorial Day. Or whatever is appropriate to say this day...you know what I mean!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

No I'm not; I thought the quality - and the sharpness - varied throughout. As I said, didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film, which, IMHO, grows in stature with each passing year.

I was glad to have burned in subs in their proper place at last; my last R2 version suffered from a glitch inasmuch as the player generated subs for the foreign language scenes had to be selected manually.

BTW, it's not in the 'Studio Classics' line, but it is in the seemingly more prestigious (well, more expensive!) 'Cinema Classics Collection'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks