What's new

THE LION IN WINTER (1 Viewer)

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Mr. Harris, there seems to be a resounding silence about whether or not Anthony Harvey's The Lion in Winter will ever make its way to blu ray. I thought someone might make an effort with it after the Becket release a while back but no one seems to be even trying. And I've no idea who would handle it. Sony and MGM have in the past, but from what I've heard the film elements are under lock and key at Studio Canal. Have you heard anything?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
the film of "Lion in Winter"was restored about 5 years ago so a Blu-ray is likely.
Now that catalog sales are up studios will be releasing catalog titles by the dozens.
"Lion in Winter" will be released, though by who no one is sure since MGM is up for sale and in the past "Lion in Winter" has also been released by Embassy and I believe Avoc?

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Yes it was made by Avco Embassy initiately and released through MGM (at least first run posters have MGM on them), but Studio Canal apparently has all the elements now. A new HD master will have to be done because a five year old master is utterly unacceptable for blu ray now. A photographic restoration was done by Sony/MGM for Studio Canal, a lovely print I saw at the Academy (unfortunately never mixed in stereo!). It would be nice if somebody troubled to get an audio commentary from O'Toole before he is no longer here to do one.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Sean, i was at the Acadmey screening - it looked very good, but that was the only time I saw it in a theater so I don't know how bad it may have looked before.

It would be great if they could do a stereo mix - the soundtrack CD is in stereo

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Yes, Greg, can you imagine that movie in stereo?? Barry's score won the Academy Award that year and I think it deserves to be heard in full 5.1 or bigger. There is much they could do with the sound while remixing it to stereo, while keeping to the film's original intent.

The Academy screening looked great. It's amazing how this film, when projected before an audience of mostly first-timers, still continues to generate such wild response. Definitely a powerhouse, though exhausting, film.

filmcraver

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hmmm...I felt this movie to be more play like than theatrical big screen like, though the score is amazing. What would really be something is a different Peter O'Toole masterpiece, Lawrence of Arabia on Blu-ray!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Lion in Winter had a 70mm 6-track mix struck for its Australian theatrical engagements but I've always assumed those stems were long gone by now.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
There is some doubt whether it was a proper multi track dub or just mono across the front 5 channels.
I saw a 70 print at a reissue in London at the Odeon Marble Arch on the full D150 screen but for the life of me, can't remember anything about the sound.

filmcraver

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Not sure I grasp how this is an amazing movie. Play - no doubt, but movie? A pristine print would enhance the "movie" aspect of it greatly, though.

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Not sure I can grasp how it is not a movie, since it was shot on 35mm and projected in theatres, but it, like A Streetcar Named Desire or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, was adapted from a play. Movies aren't always about visual tricks and Anthony Harvey was very wise to keep his to a minimum and let the powerful personalities (and script) come through the screen. It is a cinematic experience, especially if seen in say, um, the cinema. Nice subtleties abound: the chess pieces lined up along the bottom of the screen while the boys plot against their parents, a dog barking savagely the moment Henry threatens to strike Eleanor any way he can. The film is almost entirely straight cuts, no dissolves, and the only fade up and fade out are at the beginning and end. Harvey was an editor and knew what to show and what not to show. He does deplore the handful of zooms which are pretty jarring on home video but, oddly, spectacular on the big screen.

Yes, a great film. Not a tub-thumper like Avatar, but definitely a powerful experience that has and will last longer than most.

monika

Auditioning
Real Name
Monika
I watch the film and it is a good film. The writer James Goldman himself did the screenplay . So screen play is excellent to me. I am waiting for many more from Andrei Konchalovsky in future.

I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone.
==================
albert
vancouver flowers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks