The Lincoln Lawyer...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tim Glover, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Saw this today. Really liked it. Not a big fan of Matthew McConaughey, but he's effective in these types of roles. The trailers give away a pretty big piece of info but still maintains an edgy, suspenseful nature. Ryan Phillippe was also excellent and truthfully deserved more screen time. I was reminded of the excellent and underrated "Fracture" film. Different films no doubt but showcases personal and professional attorney issues.

To nitpick I thought the film was a bit too quick with who's the bad guy but I understand why. We need that info to see the conflict Matthew M (Mick Haller) has & how he juggles it all.

William H. Macy always great and has a small role. As does the hot Marisa Tomei.

Well done & worth your time and money. Would like to see it again.

Solid 8.5/10.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I agree with it being a fine film. Almost didn't recognize Michael Pare in that small role.

Crawdaddy

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Matthew McConaughey plays Mick Haller, a defense lawyer whose nickname "The Lincoln Lawyer" comes from the black Lincoln that carts him around town. Haller gets involved in a case involving a rich momma's boy Louis Roulet (played by Ryan Phillippe) arrested for sexual assault. What appears to be a standard crminal defense case soon spirals into something bigger, and Haller finds himself in a dangerous and legal quandry, and it's quite fun to watch him try to wrangle free from the situations he finds himself in without risking disbarment or worse, bodily harm.

The supporting cast is solid, and the film's tone harkens back the 1970s for such a legal thriller. The final act has quite a few surprising LOL moments as Haller puts on a show, and it's quite entertaining and fun to watch.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Watched on cable last night. Enjoyed it enough but it was almost just an episode of a cop/detective show from the 70's, that's not a bad thing. Also I had a strong sense of deja vu the entire time I was watching and after reading the first post I now realize why. It was the trailer that ran for this movie probably nearly two years ago now. The trailer is practically the entire movie in three minutes. I haven't gone back to look at the trailer again but I'm sure that must be why I felt like I had seen this movie before while I was watching it. Btw imdb says this is n the same "universe" as Blood Work, I couldn't figure that out anyone know why?