What's new

The Limbless Wonder Returns - A Big RAYMAN 3 HOODLUM HAVOC Thread (1 Viewer)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
But it will....maybe. Ratchet and Clank is more action/adventure than platformer, so if Rayman 3 plays like Rayman 2, it would obviously be the premiere platformer.

I think the main draw of Rayman 2 was that it played like the old school platformers translated into 3-D, rather than Miyamoto's more adventure skewed interpretation of a 3-D platformer.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
One word that would describe the overall tone of the Rayman series up to this point, especially with Rayman 2, is quirky. It appears (and I could be wrong) that they have eschewed the quirkiness for 'hip,' 'attitude,' and 'edge.' I am way in the minority here, but that is kind of disappointing to me. Just what we need, another mascot with 'attitude.'

~j

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
Just noticed that IGN's review (8.9 out of 10!) is now available for non-Insiders. There's also a review for the GBA version (9.0). Both sound great.

I hope the Xbox version is reviewed soon. I'm waiting to hear how it compares to the GameCube version.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Just to let everyone know, I returned my GameCube copy of Rayman 3 yesterday. I decided to go with the Xbox version instead. They basically just gave me a rain check, so I don't even have to give them any money when I show up. I just show them my receipt and I get my game!

I will definitely second the notion that Rayman 3 is a little more hip than previous installments. The thing is - and they mention this in the IGN review - the game really is funny. Globox especially has some good lines in the game. I think it's a fair trade off that retains the charm of the first two games.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that's a pretty nice store to do that for you! So what did you think of the voices? Are they okay, or do they start to grate on your nerves?

-Dave

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Dave;

I think the voices are fine. They're appropriate for each character. I think most people will like them. However, I suspect that those who were enamored with the gibber-speak from Rayman 2 will hate hearing these characters speak for real in the new game.

Oh, and you are right when you say that it was nice of them to take my game back like that. I guess that's one of the advantages of shopping at the same place often. :D

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I am happy to report that Rayman 3 for the Xbox supports 480p, 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, and is 16:9 enhanced to boot! For those of you looking for yet another pretty game to show off the capabilities of the Xbox, this is a game for you. Wow! This looks so much better than on the GameCube, it's not even funny.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Hah! And to think someone tried to get me to get the Gamecube version. I would have bought it, played it for a couple of weeks, read your post, and said "Well damn, Jeffrey Forner 1000 miles away has a better looking Rayman than I do."

Luckily, I didn't give into the temptation.....if only this 2-bit college town of mine would hurry up and get the Xbox version. Maybe Best Buy has it now.....maybe....

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
All right, I've done everything to do in this game except beat the final boss. That said, here are my more fully formed impressions of the game, based on everything I've seen up to this point.
  • The game is too short.
    Yes, 'tis true. This game can easily be completed with about a weekend's worth of play. The developers did offer many bonus levels, but I would have liked to have seen a slightly longer main game.
  • There is too much emphasis on combat and not enough on platforming.
    If I had to describe this game in two words, I would call it a "Rayman Brawler." Whereas Rayman 2 focused on a variety of platforming elements, this game is all combat. Ubi Soft wanted to make a more action-packed game with this installment, and they certainly succeeded in that regard. Sadly, that does not make the game more interesting.
  • There is a lack of variety in the level design.
    When I say this, I don't mean that the graphical styles of the levels don't offer enough variety; I mean the levels are all pretty much the same. Run around, jump, fight bad guys, find power-ups, unlock cages, move onto the next area, repeat. Every level in Rayman 2 served up a new concept that set itself apart from those that came before it. We don't see that in Rayman 3. As a result, I cannot say that this installment is as good.

Overall, I've very disappointed with the overall result. I say, rent this title before you buy it, especially if you hope for something similar to Rayman 2.

That said, all is not lost in the Rayman universe. I would like to heartily recommend one version of Rayman 3: the one for the GameBoy Advance. I have been playing this for the past couple of days and have loved every minute of it. Though Ubi Soft calls it Rayman 3, this game has more in common with Rayman 2. In fact, I would go so far as to say that this is really the 2D version of Rayman 2. Not only that, but this is probably the best original 2D platformer I have played since Yoshi's Island on the Super NES. I highly suggest anyone who is a fan of the series pick up a GBA SP and this game. You will not regret it. I'm just glad the new GBA came out at the same time so that we can properly enjoy it.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I'm a bit dissapointed with Rayman 3 as well, but it's definately not a bad game. It's still better than MOST platformers(Mario Sunshine, Vexx, etc), it just didn't have the ingenuity and innovation Rayman 2 did.

I'm sure they'll make a 4th Rayman though, hopefully they'll fix some of the problems and remove the needless gameplay elements(like the powerups).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I beat Rayman 2 in 3 days, so a weekend's worth of gameplay could be a good thing. I might get R3 in the future, but it looks like it'll be a bit longer after playing a demo and reading about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks