What's new

The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
HenryDuBrow said:
Welcome news, I haven't seen it in years but will again now. Would be cool if it maybe encourages them to look at Universal's Sierra also, but isn't the Grizzly Adams series a Paramount title and if so is there a new Shout deal with CBS ?
The box art on tvshowsondvd.com shows the CBS logo, which made me wonder about a licensing deal too. Does anyone know anything more about this? It would be great.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoeDoakes said:
The box art on tvshowsondvd.com shows the CBS logo, which made me wonder about a licensing deal too. Does anyone know anything more about this? It would be great.
Twilight Zone DVDs have always had the CBS Video logo on them, even though Image was the company releasing them. Also, Shout's release of Webster had the logo, too.
Must be a part of the licensing deal.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hopefully there is a licensing deal as CBS has so many great old shows. It's not clear to me why they would start out with Webster and Grizzly Adams.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I think I have to pinch myself! I read the news a week ago today and I still can't believe we are finally getting Grizzly Adams on DVD!
WOO HOO!
Thank-you CBS Video!
:)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I got my copy of the 1st season on dvd today. I have been waiting for years for this to be released on dvd, and was so glad to finally own it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Bryan^H said:
I got my copy of the 1st season on dvd today. I have been waiting for years for this to be released on dvd, and was so glad to finally own it.
I have held off on the purchase due my budget. If the quality is bad then i have no interest in purchasing the set. The best thing for people to do is complain about the quality and hopefully timeless media will invest in better quality!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Mine arrived today, and it's good news for me/bad news for others: I always remember watching this show in syndicated reruns during the early 80s, long before FX acquired the reruns for the cable network in the 90s, and back then the show had splices, pops, crackles, jumps, scratches and more. And I absolutely loved watching it as a kid back then. As a result, I was thrilled to discover that Timeless has NOT remastered these episodes, and they are presented on DVD in the same scratched-up, worn and faded manner in which I enjoyed them as a kid!
Don't get me wrong--I love having remastered, pristine classics on DVD (i.e. Hawaii Five-O, Star Trek and countless others), but for some reason I'm thrilled that this show hasn't had the deluxe treatment. I'm also thrilled that we're FINALLY getting this show on DVD, with Season 2 hopefully coming soon to wrap things up.
I'm sure many others will not be thrilled with the rather poor quality considering we've all been spoiled over the years by HD remasterings, and I can totally understand. But for me, GRIZZLY ADAMS is being presented exactly as I remember it!
One final note: the episodes that I checked clock in around 46 minutes and 22 seconds, which suggests syndicated prints, as the original episodes in the late 70s were probably closer to 50 minutes. Also, the discs do not appear to be numbered (i.e. "Disc 1", "Disc 2", etc.) on the disc art, so it can be a tad confusing as to what order you should watch them in (just go top down from left to right).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jeff*H said:
Mine arrived today, and it's good news for me/bad news for others: I always remember watching this show in syndicated reruns during the early 80s, long before FX acquired the reruns for the cable network in the 90s, and back then the show had splices, pops, crackles, jumps, scratches and more. And I absolutely loved watching it as a kid back then. As a result, I was thrilled to discover that Timeless has NOT remastered these episodes, and they are presented on DVD in the same scratched-up, worn and faded manner in which I enjoyed them as a kid!
Don't get me wrong--I love having remastered, pristine classics on DVD (i.e. Hawaii Five-O, Star Trek and countless others), but for some reason I'm thrilled that this show hasn't had the deluxe treatment. I'm also thrilled that we're FINALLY getting this show on DVD, with Season 2 hopefully coming soon to wrap things up.
I'm sure many others will not be thrilled with the rather poor quality considering we've all been spoiled over the years by HD remasterings, and I can totally understand. But for me, GRIZZLY ADAMS is being presented exactly as I remember it!
One final note: the episodes that I checked clock in around 46 minutes and 22 seconds, which suggests syndicated prints, as the original episodes in the late 70s were probably closer to 50 minutes. Also, the discs do not appear to be numbered (i.e. "Disc 1", "Disc 2", etc.) on the disc art, so it can be a tad confusing as to what order you should watch them in (just go top down from left to right).
46:30ish doesn't sound too far off, since most shows of the era were 47-48 minutes. Syndication would have chopped way more than a minute or two, wouldn't it?
And speaking of wanting season 2...
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Life-Times-Grizzly-Adams-Season-2/17725

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Between this and the Hardy Boys S3 news, what a great week for classic 70s shows that I grew up with!
It will be nice to wrap up both shows in February, and I'm thrilled Timeless is wasting no time in getting GA Season 2 out on shelves just a mere 3-4 months later. And have no fear, Gary, I'm pretty confident that the classic "Once Upon A Starry Night" will be included despite it's unusual length, although the quality will be less than stellar if it's anything like Season 1 (which I'm fine with). Looks like we'll be celebrating Christmas in February!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff*H /t/178231/the-life-times-of-grizzly-adams/60#post_3999932
Between this and the Hardy Boys S3 news, what a great week for classic 70s shows that I grew up with!
It will be nice to wrap up both shows in February, and I'm thrilled Timeless is wasting no time in getting GA Season 2 out on shelves just a mere 3-4 months later. And have no fear, Gary, I'm pretty confident that the classic "Once Upon A Starry Night" will be included despite it's unusual length, although the quality will be less than stellar if it's anything like Season 1 (which I'm fine with). Looks like we'll be celebrating Christmas in February!

Yes-Yes-Yes, Jeff. I'm happy to celebrate Christmas in February for a chance to get "Once Upon a Starry Night" from Grizzly Adams, along with "Christmas Present" from West Point Story, and possibly a Christmas episode or two from The Loretta Young Show. Good stuff all the way around!

Gary "will start watching some Christmas episodes and specials pretty soon now" O.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I am delighted about the news about season 2. I hope that the other Grizzly Adams films get released soon. Now when is there going to be some news about Daktari season 2 please?

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
I ordered the Grizzly Adams dvd and can't wait to watch this show .I have not watched this since it first aired.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I actually found this at Walmart. They only had one left so I snatched it up. Better picture quality than the homemade set I had.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jeff*H said:
I wasn't as pleased with the quality as you are. As this was a dream title of mine to own, I would have loved for it to look, and sound absolutely gorgeous(lets face it those outdoor locations would be breathtaking if remastered) and I was pretty upset when I first watched it. I even wrote a very dissapointed review above. Shortly after I took it down, because I realized there is no point in being upset. This is what we got, and I love the show so I will just make the best of it. I guess I have been getting spoiled with Star Trek TNG Blu-Rays, and other classics looking much better on dvd.
I look forward to season 2.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan^H said:
I wasn't as pleased with the quality as you are. As this was a dream title of mine to own, I would have loved for it to look, and sound absolutely gorgeous(lets face it those outdoor locations would be breathtaking if remastered) and I was pretty upset when I first watched it. I even wrote a very dissapointed review above. Shortly after I took it down, because I realized there is no point in being upset. This is what we got, and I love the show so I will just make the best of it. I guess I have been getting spoiled with Star Trek TNG Blu-Rays, and other classics looking much better on dvd. I look forward to season 2.
It's important to remember that everything Grizzly Adams, from the 1974 theatrical film to the 1982 TV movie, was filmed in 16mm. Re-mastering would clean things up but it wouldn't look too much different than it does now.
I own a 16mm print of "The Renewal" and, taking in account the slightly reddish color, it looks very much like what we see here.
My concern is for the 1974 theatrical film as no less than three versions of that movie exist!
There is the original 1974 release with Dan Haggerty's voice dubbed by someone else.
There is the re-release with Haggerty's voice restored so as to be consistant with the then upcoming TV series.
Finally, there is the premiere NBC airing. This version cut the opening credits in favor of the TV series opening and also cut the footage of Adam's adult daughter. This way, Adams could remain a fugitive and create suspense from time to time.
I would like to see all three but we'll probably get the 1974 original release. It's been the only version released to video (VHS and Beta) to date.
Still, I'm happy we're getting the series at all. It's been a long wait!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
You're missing the true original version of the film. They made Grizzly Adams with a different actor. It was shelved until studio owner saw Dan Haggerty in the dailies of another film he was making for them. Haggerty remade the other guy's role - kinda like Back to the Future.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Season 2 is up for preorder at Amazon for $21, but it doesn't look like the movie is included based on the description.
It's important to remember that everything Grizzly Adams, from the 1974 theatrical film to the 1982 TV movie, was filmed in 16mm. Re-mastering would clean things up but it wouldn't look too much different than it does now.
That would depend on how close to the original they got. 16mm can look great, but if it's been duped multiple times, it will get a lot noisier.

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
I just got the set and watched disc 1.The video quality is fair,there is a lot of dirt and scratches.The colors look somewhat washed out.Since this title
would never get remastered,it it is the best it will be.Better than no release and I pre-ordered season 2.I am enjoying this show despite the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks