What's new

The Leftovers (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Great news! Surprise hit for me, actually. Not the best show of the year (which is True Detective), but certainly among the best. I went in thinking it could be great, but for whatever reason my expectations were tempered (and I was a massive LOST fan--perhaps the most rabid on these forums!).

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'm glad to see it renewed. As long as they don't get into 'solving the mystery' and just focus on the pain these characters must deal with, I think it can remain outstanding.

Of course, the whole National Geographic thing has me worried. It's so Lindelof.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Since my previous post a while back, I have to admit that the show has grown a great deal upon me. It felt like a chore earlier in the season attempting to piece the narrative together into something that made sense; but of late I've been staying more 'in the moment' with what transpires on screen and I'm enjoying it much more. The 'puzzle' or 'rabbit hole' aspect of the show's recent episodes has really been drawing me into the show. (I just have to remember to not expect answers for everything. :) )

More interesting revelations this week. As was speculated (on the web), the GR stoned one of their own. Michael Gaston's character is still a mystery. I believe he was the 'someone' that 'they' sent to help Kevin Garvey, as announced by Kevin's father. Still not sure how Aimee figures into all of this, but she has been present during some of Kevin's blackouts. I don't think she is the same as Michael Gaston's character, but she may be working in concert with him.

There were a couple of interesting elements in this episode that recall Lost...

- The cabin seemed like an homage to, or variant of Jacob's cabin in the woods.

- Lost used to have story elements that could swing between two divergent outcomes in the blink of an eye; such as Jack at the altar in season one where it was uncertain if he was going to call off the wedding at the final moment. Kevin Garvey with the knife was one of those moments last night. Kill or cut free.

Really starting to get into the show.

- Walter.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Hmmm...well, we see Dean referred to as a "ghost" and a "guardian angel" and he clearly is talking to whatever voices are out there...possibly the same ones as Garvey Sr. talks to. Interesting...psychosis?

And, Kevin is revealed as a true psychotic - I thought his blackouts were possibly a result of all the pills, but he is completely living another life! At least we see where the shirts went. I can't imagine this Memorial Day stunt the GR have planned will go over well on his sub-conscious. Particularly when he learns his daughter has perhaps gone over to them?

But, will she stay? Laurie seems like a true believer, and I still think she was one of the people who killed Gladys (we now know it was the GR), but will she be ok with her daughter being a part of that?

I loved Kevin's response to Patti's pseudo-philosophical ravings and poem quoting..."I don't understand you." You an' me both, brother.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
From the beginning, the Guilty Remant were going to be the cornerstone of whether this show succeeded or failed. The primary point I can see them trying to make is attempting to reignite the spark of protest in the populace, and move society toward more communal action.

As I see it, the disappearance is analogous to any great tragedy. You have your people who are broken by it, you have your people who try and move on from it, you have those who seek the reasons, and you have those who look toward religion or some other supernatural explanation. The GR are there to confront those who try to move past or forget about it; they will not allow the populace to heal...or forget.

Although I just wanted to STRANGLE Liv Tyler during her hypocritical hissy-fit.

"They spray us with hoses and throw things at us!" Uh, no fucking duh -- you guys didn't start dressing in white and chain-smoking because "they" were already doing that to you previoulsy.

"They" only started doing that to you after you all launched a multi-year campaign of stalking people, breaking into their homes, and forcefully dragging the single worst thing that ever happened to them out into public spaces.

If you're going to devote your entire life to being a troll, you don't get to be outraged when people get pissed off at you for it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Cairo, NY is a real place. It's a sparsely populated town about 35 miles south of Albany, on the northern edge of the Catskills. But unlike the Cairo in Egypt, it's pronounced "Care-oh" rather than "Ki-Ro".
Walter Kittel said:
Michael Gaston's character is still a mystery. I believe he was the 'someone' that 'they' sent to help Kevin Garvey, as announced by Kevin's father.
I agree. And certainly he is a mystery that occupied some of Patti's headspace.
Still not sure how Aimee figures into all of this, but she has been present during some of Kevin's blackouts. I don't think she is the same as Michael Gaston's character, but she may be working in concert with him.
Considering how hurt she was by Jill's question ("Did you fuck my dad?"), I'm not sure what to think about her character now. The fact that she's played a prominent role in the chief's blackout periods has to have some significance, as does the fact that -- like Dean -- she doesn't seem to have any home life of her own to speak of.
Quentin said:
But, will she stay? Laurie seems like a true believer, and I still think she was one of the people who killed Gladys (we now know it was the GR), but will she be ok with her daughter being a part of that?
That's what made that development so interesting for me. Laurie clearly wants this for herself, but does she want it for her daughter? Will she "kill" her daughter by allowing her to become part of the Guilty Remnant? It's clear why Jill came -- when she found the gun under Nora's son's bed, it robbed her of hope -- but it's less clear whether Laurie will stomach staying seeing what it has done to her daughter.
joshEH said:
Although I just wanted to STRANGLE Liv Tyler during her hypocritical hissy-fit. "They spray us with hoses and throw things at us!" Uh, no fucking duh -- you guys didn't start dressing in white and chain-smoking because "they" were already doing that to you previoulsy. "They" only started doing that to you after you all launched a multi-year campaign of stalking people, breaking into their homes, and forcefully dragging up the single worst thing that ever happened to them in public spaces. If you're going to devote your entire life to being a troll, you don't get to be outraged when people get pissed off at you for it.
Agreed on all points. The contrast between Laurie and Meg was pretty clear. Laurie knew what she signed up for; Meg made it clear that she didn't.Laurie's reaction when Meg goes off on Nora is very interesting. Meg's very indignant about Nora's remark, but Laurie isn't at all. She takes it for what it was; a pointed reminder that her child is hurting in large part because of her choices.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Adam Lenhardt said:
That's what made that development so interesting for me. Laurie clearly wants this for herself, but does she want it for her daughter? Will she "kill" her daughter by allowing her to become part of the Guilty Remnant? It's clear why Jill came -- when she found the gun under Nora's son's bed, it robbed her of hope -- but it's less clear whether Laurie will stomach staying seeing what it has done to her daughter.
I think Jill was angered and saddened...IS angered and saddened by the people who attempt to "move on". She hasn't reconciled with her own loss and pain, so she is puzzled how/why anyone else can. She was actually curious and consoled by the 'old' Nora - a person clearly acting out, much like herself, and who carried her pain around with her in the form of a gun. Simply hiding the gun in her child's room rings untrue to Jill. She doesn't think you can or should hide your pain. She prefers people who wear it. I don't know if it robbed her of her hope when she found the gun - I think it simply reinforced her belief that people can NOT move on from the pain.

So, she has gone to the GR - the people who are the most blatant at not hiding their pain.

But, I do think Jill is of a different mind set - Meg may be as well. Jill sees confronting the pain as a way to deal with it and live. The GR just want to wallow in the pain and give up. It will be interesting to watch that philosophical difference take the form of a mother/daughter battle...particularly on Memorial Day. I can't see Jill being ok with dwelling on the people who are gone in such a morbid way.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My wife and I are dropping this show. I can take boring (lots of shows I watch are "boring"), but outside of episode 3, all the shows so far tread the same ground with little breadcrumbs thrown here and there to mark a modicum of narrative progress. Unlikable characters are fine (plenty of shows I love have unlikable characters), but unentertaining is just death. Eccelson's cleric is the only character that works for me. Scott Glenn too, but c'mon, Scott Glenn is awesome. The Leftovers is a mopey, wheel spinning, navel gazing bore.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Another great episode tonight. I am genuinely surprised without solid the entire season has been. This episode added a number of important and interesting layers to the previous episodes, without cheapening them or coming off as gimmicky.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Sunday's episode certainly made me more sympathetic towards Laurie. Having THAT happen would put the zap to anyone's head. As soon as she was in the doctor's office, I knew where it was headed, but it was still pretty shocking. I also enjoyed the circuit being broken at the school, with the first reveal being the change in lighting of the scene.

Still not sure what the deer business is all about.

- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Re: the deer business.
the deer attacks preceded the departure, since they are occurring again perhaps they are proceeding a second one!
Loved last night's episode."It's a girl".

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Walter Kittel said:
Still not sure what the deer business is all about.

- Walter.
I'm not sure either...and, knowing Lindelof it could be about NOTHING.

But, it does seem to indicate that animals began acting strange in anticipation of the world-changing event and many remain unbalanced It could also be symbolic of Kevin's unease with his life and his attempt to salvage that life. Even before the departure, he wanted to save that deer because it was "confused", but everyone else wants to kill it because it's "dangerous and unstable". Sounds like the war Kevin is facing with his own life before and after the departure. Only the players have changed (or have they?). So, in episode 1 when the new deer smashes through his kitchen, he ignores it and attempts to move on - symbolic for what he is doing in/with his life. But, when forced to face his problems and shoot the wild dogs, he weeps as he does it and he often doesn't remember - almost wanting to purposefully forget any conflict.

This whole episode was not just a history lesson, showing us the days before the departure, but also a setting of the table: the people they were at this point is very much the reason for the way they are during the time period we've been watching them.

The one thing I did find very interesting was Kevin's 'cheating'. I had always assumed a long term affair, but clearly this was a one-night stand (one afternoon...errr, half an afternoon). Was he a serial cheater? Maybe...or maybe he was just unhappy and restless and unsure and this really was a one time thing. Either way, the girl disappearing mid-coitus has to leave one wondering if it's a message? Maybe his dad was right and he needed to cut the shit and realize things were good - then he goes back to his wife thinking he's going to put it right and what happens? His dad goes nuts and his wife goes nuts and leaves for the GR. He never knows about the fetus...he just thinks she leaves. And, back into his downward spiral of wondering what he wants from life or what he should do.

I'm also curious about the weirdos who stopped and asked if he was ready. Future GR members? Does he have some aura they see? Why did they ask that? Why did Patti say he understands? WTF is going on there? And, why did the sewer gas explode?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm also curious about the weirdos who stopped and asked if he was ready. Future GR members? Does he have some aura they see? Why did they ask that? Why did Patti say he understands? WTF is going on there? And, why did the sewer gas explode?
I suspect that the car was full of future GR members. The simple answer for why they stopped was because Kevin was wearing a white tee-shirt and smoking, so they mistook him for one of their own. At least I think that is more likely than some metaphysical reason.

- Walter.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, this one was pretty damn good, using the tried-and-true Lost method of withholding character-revealing background info until a specific time for extra drama-points.

It was pretty sad how much more innocent and warm Jill was prior to the Departure, versus the miserable pain-in-the-ass sadsack she is now. Some folks hate Current Jill™, but props to Margaret Qualley for really selling that more innocent version.

I'm assuming everyone who was complaining about the Garveys initially ("They didn't even lose anyone, what's their problem!?") has stopped watching at this point; not that this episode would have changed their minds about the show or anything, but it does address those complaints head-on in about as perfect a way as I could have hoped for.

Really solid episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Fuck off, Lou."
Josh Dial said:
Another great episode tonight. I am genuinely surprised without solid the entire season has been. This episode added a number of important and interesting layers to the previous episodes, without cheapening them or coming off as gimmicky.
I agree. I was also impressed with how differently some actors played their characters, while Justin Theroux was at the center, in a far better place but fundamentally the same person. Amy Brenneman and Margaret Qualley particularly stood out to me: In the case of Laurie, we start from the assumption that she was tweaked before the Rapture, and her membership is a reaction to deeper shit already going on. Toward that end, we assume the doctor's appointment she's put off is her own psychiatrist, only for it to turn out to be a ultrasound tech's office. Brenneman played all of those notes while providing just enough hints to explain the person who wrote that divorce note to her husband. In the case of Jill, we have two things going on: one, she's a fourteen year old girl instead of a seventeen year old girl, and two, she's happy instead of miserable. Usually when teenagers play younger, it doesn't sell, but the combination of the costume, hair, braces, makeup and performance really sold it. Qualley carried herself differently, spoke differently, used her face differently. Like Josh, I thought she was very effective.
Walter Kittel said:
Sunday's episode certainly made me more sympathetic towards Laurie. Having THAT happen would put the zap to anyone's head. As soon as she was in the doctor's office, I knew where it was headed, but it was still pretty shocking.
I agree completely. Laurie's been a character I've struggled with since the beginning, especially when you see what her actions have done to Jill. The traumatic experience of the ultrasound really explains why Laurie has such a desperate need to remember, and has such a desperate need to make others remember. If a global event happened that devastated you personally, and everybody else just wanted to move on, it'd make you just about crazy. Some people, like Nora, internalized that. Others, like Laurie, externalized it.
Sam Posten said:
Re: the deer business.
the deer attacks preceded the departure, since they are occurring again perhaps they are proceeding a second one!
Interesting theory. I definitely think the strangeness with the deer was a precursor to the rapture. The deer was probably attuned to whatever Patti was attuned to.
Quentin said:
The one thing I did find very interesting was Kevin's 'cheating'. I had always assumed a long term affair, but clearly this was a one-night stand (one afternoon...errr, half an afternoon). Was he a serial cheater? Maybe...or maybe he was just unhappy and restless and unsure and this really was a one time thing. Either way, the girl disappearing mid-coitus has to leave one wondering if it's a message?
Absolutely. I also had assumed that Kevin's affair was an ongoing neighborhood fling for some period leading up to the rapture. It's interesting that the main POV characters were all at a moment of moral judgment when the rapture occurred: Kevin was cheating on his wife for perhaps the first and only time, Nora was nasty to her daughter, and Laurie was considering an abortion. That had to add a certain dimension to each's feelings toward the rapture.
I'm also curious about the weirdos who stopped and asked if he was ready. Future GR members? Does he have some aura they see? Why did they ask that?
My interpretation is that they were all imminent departures, and thought he was one too. Once they realized he wasn't, they apologized for their mistake and moved on. Patti was anxious about her premonition of the rapture, while the people in the car possessed total serenity. Note too that Nora's daughter didn't need the light kept on any more, because she wasn't scared of anything any more. On some level, I think the departures knew something was coming, and that it wasn't something to be afraid of.
joshEH said:
I'm assuming everyone who was complaining about the Garveys initially ("They didn't even lose anyone, what's their problem!?") has stopped watching at this point; not that this episode would have changed their minds about the show or anything, but it does address those complaints head-on in about as perfect a way as I could have hoped for.
I agree. The sense of profound loss is central to every member of the Garvey family, and it's all the more tragic because Laurie is (presumably) the only one who knows the reason for that sense of profound loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks