What's new

the laugh track (1 Viewer)

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Similarly, the bullpen chatter with the blank screen that started every episode of Hill Street Blues created tension and excitement right out the blocks.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Just because a show was shot in front of a live audience, you shouldn't assume that there was no laugh track added to the final product.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I was always confused by shows that took place outside and had characters going different places, but had a laugh track- I wondered how the audience was able to follow them? It was even worse on cartoon shows- were the cartoons really REAL and on a stage?

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
^ ^ In those cases it is often just an instance of the characters wandering off studio, and then they cue up a pre-taped segment for the audience, to which a laugh track is recorded on top of.

At THAT point it just gets ridiculous. The whole point of a laugh track is that as actors performing, the live laughter helps fuel their performance the way it does for a stand up comedian. If it's pre-recorded however, the whole purpose is redundant.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

There was an early episode of Three's Company where a woman was heckling Suzanne Somers. She delivered a line about a locket, and the woman said, "Na na na na NA!" with the same inflections Somers had given the line. There was at least one other instance on Three's Company where you could clearly hear a sentence from an audience member.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've heard stuff like that before but can't recall what show.

Anyone ever been a part of an audience of a show? I'd jump at the chance to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks