What's new

The latest batch of Disney animated titles...pretty bad PQ (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just got through watching ROBIN HOOD, and SWORD IN THE STONE on my 55" Panny plasma, the same set I have used to watch many of Disney's other titles with great pleasure, These, however, look godawful. The images are smeared, like (old)video. Evidently, they did not use the same DNR techniques they have used on their Diamond editions. Think: the original PATTON release, or, if you own it, the Optimum edition of DON'T LOOK NOW. I also scanned through OLIVER & CO., which is also overly DNR'd but which looks somewhat (not a lot) better. I hope this isn't what TARZAN, HERCULES and THE BLACK CAULDRON will look like when they get released. What a huge disappointment, coming from a company that knows how to make their animated films look marvelous on Blu-ray, but then decides not to bother with some titles. :(

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Dick,

This is very concerning. Your post is one of many I have read
over the past week complaining about PQ on these animated titles.

It's a shame. I only see Disney through its 3D Blu-ray releases that
I review. They are all top-notch. Nobody does 3D as well as Disney.

It's a shame that when dealing with their priceless animated fare
that the same amount of care isn't being applied.

It's as if there is some kind of disconnect going on over there.

I hope you guys continue to make noise about this problem.

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
I saw a screenshot or two from Sword in the Stone and it indeed looked bad. But Disney is hardly worth praising for their releases of their other animated features either. I care enough to want to see true restorations of these films accurate to the films' original 35mm Technicolor (or other film format) released, with no revisionism. But Disney seems keen on only releasing revised versions of these films that have had the film grain removed, defects like animation mistakes corrected, and the colors being noticeably different from previous releases of the films (and inaccurate to the original Technicolor), without also releasing true restorations faithful to the original films, warts and all. It seems that about the only ways I could see one of these films in their original form in high quality would be to either travel to some showing of one of the films from a Technicolor print or invest hundreds of dollars into acquiring my own print and hundreds more to get a high-definition transfer of it. That's wrong. Just like there ought to be high-quality releases of the original, unaltered theatrical versions of the Star Wars trilogy, Disney ought to release faithful restorations of their animated films, warts and all.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Just had another look in to the UK Disney thread over on Blu Ray.Com. No where and I mean no where is anyone talking about the actual films, and you can go back page after page. They are emailing Disney about DMR codes or a missing number on the spine..............but as for the films nothing I tried getting through to them about the imminent release of Sword In The Stone and got suspended for it, it might have been heavy handed I know but it was making my blood boil that these guys will accept anything Disney has to offer which means I will be stuck with the same fecked release as well. God help Disney Blu Ray in the UK if this is the mentality of some of the collectors over here. In comparison the US thread is all about PQ, I can't figure this out and if you try to reason with them it's like talking to a brick wall.They really and truly have no interest in PQ, can anyone help me understand this?Here is a link showing what I mean:http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=124657&page=1350and you can go back page after page, it is unbelievable..........

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
tele1962 said:
Just had another look in to the UK Disney thread over on Blu Ray.Com. No where and I mean no where is anyone talking about the actual films, and you can go back page after page. They are emailing Disney about DMR codes or a missing number on the spine..............but as for the films nothing
To be fair, there's plenty of talk about the awefulness of the Sword in the Stone BD in the thread dedicated to it: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220028&page=45

Anyway, we all know that what REALLY matters about blu-rays is the slip cover. I never watch the films myself, I just sit around all day stroking my slip covers...

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
To be fair, there's plenty of talk about the awefulness of the Sword in the Stone BD in the thread dedicated to it: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220028&page=45 Anyway, we all know that what REALLY matters about blu-rays is the slip cover. I never watch the films myself, I just sit around all day stroking my slip covers...
That's the North America thread, which is what I was saying in my post, in the US you care about PQ of these releases where as here, they complain to Disney about not having a number on the spine...............go figure?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
That's the North America thread, which is what I was saying in my post, in the US you care about PQ of these releases where as here, they complain to Disney about not having a number on the spine...............go figure?
I think a vocal minority care, i count myself and obviously yourself among this group but look at the sales figures, too many people don't care and Disney will continue screwing with their history and releasing animated titles on blu ray which do not resemble their film origins or the original animators intent.

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
tele1962 said:
Doh! Missed something there in your post.

I think it's mostly coincidence though, I've certainly seen threads in the UK subforum about PQ.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't think it's been brought up on the forum, (probably because nobody but me bought it) but the bluray of Home on the Range is particularly embarrassing. You know you're in trouble when the lettering in the opening credits is blurry. The whole movie is blurry. Strange, for such a new film.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EddieLarkin said:
Comparison:

It reminds me of an article i read, relevant to animation too because of the "blurring effect" that happens when you degrain a film, maybe Disney want to re-make The Blur Witch Project.

Roger Deakins who was the director of photography on The Big Lebowski and other Coen Brothers films has this to say on the subject matter.

"I would prefer to scan everything at 4K these days and output the same, however, it seems some producers still want to save money by doing 2K. Personally, I think this is very short sighted and certainly does not reflect the true quality of a properly exposed film negative. I insist on 4K scans, as I like any grain that there is to be sharp and the image also. Some would say that you need a 6K scan to see the full detail/fine grain in a 35mm or anamorphic negative and I believe they would be right. The de-graining tool is really only putting the image out of focus and I wouldn't recommend it as standard. Like every tool there are pros and cons. Everything comes at a cost!"

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've got all three titles and have sampled them for quality. I'll agree that there is something untoward going on with Sword in the Stone, but Robin Hood and Oliver & Company look just fine. Personally I think Sword and the Stone must have got farmed out to another company to save time and perhaps money?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Steen DK said:
Apparently, the iTunes version have now been replaced by the blurry BD, so you can't even get to see it any more. (Or so I've heard.)
This is correct. I purchased the iTunes HD version on the Tuesday evening of the release date of the Blu-ray, and when I finally got a chance to watch it, it turned out to be the blurry mess iteration.

Apple did give me a refund, even though I asked if they could just replace it with the version they had available 48 hours prior.
No luck.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mark Walker said:
Apple did give me a refund, even though I asked if they could just replace it with the version they had available 48 hours prior.
No luck.
If you had kept your Blu-ray, you could have redeemed the digital copy through Amazon which still has the old 1.33:1 HD version. Disney recently dumped iTunes for the Digital Copies that come with their Blu-rays. Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, and Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh all had digital copies that could only be redeemed through Amazon or Vudu.

PS. And the Amazon digital copy that comes with the Robin Hood Blu-ray is also the older HD version in the 1.75:1 aspect ratio.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is too bad about Stone. I was really looking forward to that one but I guess I just won't buy it. I have a feeling that there won't be a proper fix for it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can't think of an instance when Disney actually listened to their dissatisfied consumers and replaced one transfer with a better one (COLOR OF MONEY, anyone?). Fox has done it, Universal (!) has done it, but not Disney. Maybe in 7 years when they release these again...if Blu-ray is still a viable format. I think they blew their last physical media opportunity, which is sad and makes me really pissed.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Dick said:
I can't think of an instance when Disney actually listened to their dissatisfied consumers and replaced one transfer with a better one (COLOR OF MONEY, anyone?). Fox has done it, Universal (!) has done it, but not Disney. Maybe in 7 years when they release these again...if Blu-ray is still a viable format. I think they blew their last physical media opportunity, which is sad and makes me really pissed.
They did replace the Blu-ray of Pinocchio due to a dropped word. But that is the only replacement I can think of.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
ahollis said:
They did replace the Blu-ray of Pinocchio due to a dropped word. But that is the only replacement I can think of.
They just forgot to recall it and if you want the replacement you have to contact them which is rather annoying when you are in the UK and have bought a USA blu ray, i still have the version with the dropped line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks