What's new

The Jerk: Special Edition - July 26th (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Yeah, this is a definite import for me :emoji_thumbsup: I can't wait.

I've seen Plaid and Brains but I've never seen All of Me but I'd pick all three of them up in a flash if they were given the proper treatment.

How about a new edition of "Three Amigos"?

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
No kidding. The current disc couldn't be much worse. I only own it because I love the movie so much. The non-anamorphic transfer is lousy, and it pops back to the main menu before the end credits are done rolling. For extra pleasure, check out the back of the disc and you'll see that the movie is labeled as being rated "R", which it most definitely is not.

John*D

Second Unit
I'll be picking this up for sure.

Hilarious movie. I really like the gas station stuff, especially when that sniper is shooting the cans!

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
The new DVD's here! The new DVD's here!

Sorry. Just had to say that. I got it, gonna watch after dinner. Too bad there's none of the extra scenes and not many features, but I'm just happy to have it anamorphic at last. And the movie is good enough not to need the extras. Still, I'd have to wish that they could have at least put a little more effort into bonus features. It'd be simple to include the stuff they put on the TV version.

Funny, I don't even remember the TV version since I never chose to watch it with the cuts and cleaned-up language. The dog's name is "Stupid"?! No, I don't think so.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
There is a great theatrical trailer and a deleted scene of the "cat juggling" film, but it goes further. Its really hilarious.

Theres also the most in-depth Ukelele tutorial I have ever seen on a DVD. :laugh:

Man, this picture is so colorful and bright...way better than the old VHS worn out copy we had. :D

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Well I watched it last night and while I am really happy about getting the restored anamorphic picture and re-mixed 5.1 sound, I still can't help but be disappointed again with Universal.

First, you have your obligatory pre-menu trailers. At least they're skippable. Then you've got a main menu with some goofy Spike Jones-sounding stock music that's found nowhere in the film, complete with har-de-har sound effects. Couldn't they have at least used the music from the opening or from the scene where Navin gets the rhythm? Then you've got a trailer, a feature on how to play "You Belong To Me" on the ukulele (just in case you have one lying around), production notes, and the aforementioned Reverend DeCordova Cat Juggling clip (the only redeeming feature) and that's it. Not even an insert. For an anniversary edition, this feels like a DVD that could have come out 5 years ago. Where are all the scenes that were in the TV version? Jeez, just throw them on there somewhere. If Steve Martin and Carl Reiner wanted nothing to do with the DVD that's fine, but it just seems that Universal didn't know what movie they had in their hands.

Regardless of my rant, I'm still happy I bought it (on sale at Best Buy) and still love the movie in its own right. And the picture really does look good, at least much better than the old P&S. But I would guess that someday they might come out with yet another version with some real meat. Or at least a free oven mitt.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i believe it was the trailer to this film where i first learned that coming attractions were called trailers.
i remember getting a lot of odd looks from people when i would mention trailers, and i remember a few very startled looks from theater managers when this 12 yr old would come up to them and ask them "what trailers were attatched to what films"

so a big thanks is going out to Steve for making me hip to the lingo a few years early :)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Count me as one of those who thinks this is about as lame of an "anniversary edition" as it can get. Like another poster, I can't complain too much, it's widescreen afterall.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I wanted to note that this stuff was clearly NOT shot at the same time as the original "cat juggling" sequence. It's not Martin in any of the shots, and it's clearly a different audience in attendance. Everyone looks a lot more modern than the Seventies folks, so I'd guess this was created recently. Weird...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The hairstyles are usually a dead giveaway. :) It is a pretty hilarious extra in any case, and I am kinda curious about who was involved in making it.

Regards,

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Is there an easter egg in the how to play the ukulele feature? What's the deal with choosing the right cord in the first menu?

I'll have to say that the bonus features on this disc leave alot to be desired since Carl Reiner, Steve Martin, or any of the other surviving cast members could be in interviews/commentary.

Why do I feel a 27th anniversary edition coming up?? ;)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

Whoa, you mean they actually included the "For Theatre Owners Only" teaser on this DVD and not the standar coming attractions trailer that followed? If so, I'm bumping this up to gotta buy status.

That teaser is mentioned in the Guiness Book as the first time there was a full Hollywood premiere -- spotlights, limos, press, etc. -- for a trailer as opposed to a feature.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The trailer did not say anything about being for theater owners only.

I could be wrong, but I think Martin was in drag in one of them...

I don't think I've seen this movie since network television in the early 1980's. I remember everyone at school talking about the movie when it was in theaters (doing lines, just like we are doing here), but I was just too young to get into R-rated movies, and my parents were not fans of Steve Martin's style of humor.

Watching the movie yesterday let to some big grins and outright guffaws. The cat juggling bit is a classic.

- Steve

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The reason I don't believe Martin is in any of the "Lost Filmstrips" stuff is because it so obviously wasn't part of the original production. This material was shot in more recent times and I seriously doubt Martin returned for a quick cameo...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks