What's new

The Japanese made cartoons of the 60s (1 Viewer)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Louis Letizia said:
SPEED RACER and KIMBA have made it to DVD . Anyone know if theres plans for MARINE BOY?
Several months ago I asked Warner Archives Face Book site if Maureen Boy had any plans to be released. I also asked about Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero was going to be released. They responded in the affirmative for both titles. They said to expect Marine Boy at the end of the year or shortly afterwards. They confirmed that they are planning to release Johnny Cipher some time after that.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I have one of the first copies of Speed Racer released in a numbered and autographed package. I also have Gigantor, Battle of the Planets, Kimba the White Lion, Astro boy. I have an unofficially released copy of Prince Planet. I would love to an official set. I also have one of the most extensive 8th Man collections. I have all of the episodes made. A certain number were never dubbed and released in America. I have the whole Japanese collection- incredibly sharp picture. I also have various copies of the English dubbed episodes with different dialog or narration,

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
One of the dirtiest tricks they did when releasing Speed Racer was placing a Die Cast Model of the Mach Five in the third volume. As any collector knows, collectables in unopened boxes have the best value. Therefore I was forced to purchase TWO sets, one to watch and the other to put away.
As for the collectable that was in the box I opened, I use it as a Christmas Tree Ornament. :laugh:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Somewhat related to the thread topic, tiny indie company Discotek Media has been up to some interesting things recently with old-school anime on DVD; not quite as far back as the '60s classics, but some early-'70s stuff made prior to things like STAR BLAZERS and ROBOTECH. In June, they released the full season of the original (from 1971) LUPIN THE THIRD series, which was produced several years before the better-known 1977 incarnation that ran on Cartoon Network's late-night TOONAMI block several years ago and had some DVD releases through Funimation. I've been enjoying my set of this quite a bit, and it also has the 1968 widescreen LUPIN III promo short that was made to garner interest in an initial LUPIN III animated feature film, as a DVD extra.
Now they've posted on Facebook that they're releasing the original CUTEY HONEY (1973, later made into several modern anime versions and a live-action movie) series and MAZINGER Z (which was later edited down and dubbed into TRANZOR Z for U.S. syndication in the mid-1980s) in 2013. Not much info on them yet, though CUTEY HONEY will certainly be subtitles-only, since it never aired on U.S. tv in the old days, and I'd imagine MAZINGER Z would also be subtitles-only, if the TRANZOR Z rights are still wrapped up with whatever company these days.
Here's the news on their blog, which links to the public Facebook pages:
http://www.discotekmedia.com/blog/
And here's the series openings to these shows, for your information and enjoyment:
LUPIN III (first series) intro
CUTEY HONEY intro
MAZINGER Z intro
MAZINGER Z as TRANZOR Z intro

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks