What's new

The James Bond DVDs again? (2 Viewers)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
This is the kind of thing that really bothers me about the Home Video Industry. It's all about money. At least Warner Home Video generally waits until it has an ultimate edition of something before releasing it (i.e. King Kong). But THREE waves of James Bond in about a 6 year period? Shame on you!

John H Ross

Screenwriter
D'ya think MGM will leave the burned-in subtitles intact this time, i.e. preserved the way they were originally seen in theatres?

Nope, I didn't think so :-(

John

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But it's not like MGM are making the releases different and adding materials to make up double/triple/quadruple dip. From what I understand, these are all the same as the DVDs that came out in 1999/2000. There's no reason for anyone to repurchase them, so what's the big deal? Sure, it's annoying for those who DON'T have them and want to get them, but I see no reason for complaints from those who already have them...

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Apparently they are being remastered in 5.1 this time around, so they are different. The question is will they be true 5.1 (stereo music tracks, etc.) or like the fake pseudo-stereo Chace mixes.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Considering how comprehensive the recent DVDs are in terms of extras (the "Inside..." docs are the best I've ever seen on DVD), I'd be surprised if MGM really can come up with the "never before seen" stuff they're promising.

As a huge Bond fan, it would still take an awful lot for me to re-buy all the films next year.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Buying these Bond movies isn't double dipping, it's a freaking bath!

To be quite honest I'm not very impressed with the SE's that have been released so far. Until the Bond flicks have at least a passable 5.1 track (Dolby at least but DTS would be a definite plus) and THX certification I'm not buying the rest of the collection.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The only ones I'm interested in upgrading are the 60's Bond films (first 6) Dr No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice & One Her Majesty's Secret Service.

For me to upgrade they'd have to do some major restoration, digital cleanup or whatever it takes to improve the image quality, otherwise I could care less about a 5.1 mix with the same old transfer.

I also like Goldeneye but the latest SE is acceptable.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
are the current discs on moritorium again?
i realize there is plenty of stock out there, but is that all that is left?

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Yep. They went oop around the beginning of the year.

I hope the new set(s) have different cuts or at least deleted scenes. If I remember correctly The World Is Not Enough has over a half hour of cut footage which I'm sure would greatly improve the movie. I'm sure some of the others have cut footage too.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
any new released dvds will be tied into the next theatrical release- not any sooner.

so at least a year and 1/2 away at the earliest

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I have this great idea for use in a Bond opening:

The way I figure it, Bond must have a flat somewhere in England that he stays at when he is not on a mission. So, I thought after the action of the opening takes place, Bond goes back to MI6 to report. Moneypenny gives him his mail and informs him that she picked up his pet for him. Bond thanks her and leaves.

We then see Bond enter his flat and go to the cabniet. We then hear a can opener and the sound of a fork against the can. Then, Blofeld's cat comes in and Bond picks up the cat and pets it. Then you go into the title sequence.

Since Blofeld was thrown down the smoke stack by Roger Moore, I always thought it would be cool if Bond kept his cat, since the cat got away from Blofeld.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
One more thing...
I really liked Goldeneye, but I thought the opening sequence should have been separate from the rest of the film.

You know, have the opening of the film where 006 gets killed. Then, the rest of the movie is Tomorrow Never Dies or whatever. Then, 3 or 4 films later, you have the rest of Goldeneye.

Instead of having to say it is years later, it really would be years later. The fact that 006 is still alive and actually the villian would be more shocking.

The same could be said of Die Another Day.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I would hope the next release would be HD-DVD and not standard DVD. Of course I would hope that there would be a HD-DVD standard by the next release of the Bond discs too.

I can justify any kind of upgrade purchase on the Bond films regardless.

An earlier, blatantly off topic post reminded me about a gripe I've always had with the Bond DVDs...

It would be really interesting if they could go a little more indepth in a future SE about the Kevin McClory legal battle over SPECTRE and Blofeld, Never Say Never Again, Warhead 2001, and how they will never use the characters again. The docs on the discs (I believe the main ones with docs containing info regarding this were Dr. No, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, and Octopussy). It seemed that certain portions of the info in these areas were glossed over really well to put a positive spin on EON productions.

A third party doing a special feature specifically about the McClory/Blofeld issue would be a great wish list item for the next Bond discs. Will MGM ever do the topic justice? Not a chance.

Dave Farley

Second Unit

If you're someone that cares about special features and extras from the current Bond DVDs, I wouldn't sell them just yet. There will likely be different extras on the new set coming up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks