What's new

The Island (2005) (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Took in another viewing this afternoon before shipping it back.
Did notice more of the Michael Bayisms...but still a fun and great film. Surprisingly good thriller. :emoji_thumbsup:
This one is going in my "want to own in HD" list. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I saw this film for the first time last night. I've owned the DVD for a couple of years, but hadn't made the time to sit down and watch this before now. One of things that attracted me to this film was seeing that Ewan McGregor was starring in it. I wanted to see him in something other than any of the Star Wars films. This was the first time I had ever seen Scarlett Johansson in anything before. I liked the innocence of both lead characters. (This is explained later in the film.)
This is one of those films that IMO is 'pure' sci-fi. There is no mistaking it for fantasy, or any of the other genres that often use snippets of science fiction in places. The Island, at least to my eyes, could not be more science fiction -- it had all of the elements which make sci-fi so compelling.
I thought the film had an interesting (and enjoyable) original soundtrack, too. The 'classical' pieces by Palestrina, Bach, Mozart, Puccini, et al. were awesome. I also thought I heard Enya a few times throughout the film; however, I didn't see any of Enya's music in the credits. The stylistic similarities were probably what caught my ear.
I loved it when Albert Laurent (Djimon Hounsou) 'turned' during the final half hour or so of the film. His pursuit of Lincoln Six Echo and Jordan Two Delta was relentless. When he is in the office of Merrick (how's that for a serendipitous coincidence of names
e267404.gif
), I could feel his wheels turning as he discussed being branded in his younger days. When he eventually had a change of heart to some extent, I cheered. :)
Here are some interesting comments:
"It is described as a pastiche of "escape-from-dystopia" science fiction films of the 1960s and 1970s such as Fahrenheit 451, THX 1138, Parts: The Clonus Horror, and Logan's Run. Set in 2019, the movie's plot revolves around the struggle of Ewan McGregor's character to fit into the highly structured world he lives in, and the series of events that unfolds when he questions exactly how truthful that world really is."
You know, while watching the film, I did think that it reminded me somewhat of Logan's Run (especially the film) in parts. I'm sure it had to do with the two leads trying to find 'sanctuary,' so to speak.
Here is much more on the film, if anyone is interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_(2005_film)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
You know, while watching the film, I did think that it reminded me somewhat of Logan's Run (especially the film) in parts. I'm sure it had to do with the two leads trying to find 'sanctuary,' so to speak.

Reminded me of Logan's Run too. I think it was also the clean uniforms and the shiny clean city.

Not a bad movie, as far as Michael Bay movies go, and it was fun to McGregor in something other than Star Wars. (My favorite film of his is a comedy called Down With Love, which takes place in the early 60s and is an homage to romantic comedies of that age.)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Reminded me of Logan's Run too. I think it was also the clean uniforms and the shiny clean city.

Not a bad movie, as far as Michael Bay movies go, and it was fun to McGregor in something other than Star Wars. (My favorite film of his is a comedy called Down With Love, which takes place in the early 60s and is an homage to romantic comedies of that age.)
Sam,

I may need to check out Down With Love, if only because I love most everything about that particular decade.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Don Solosan
Watch Parts: The Clonus Horror. It's more than a "pastiche" of that film.
Don,

Yes, I've been reading a bit on that film. The word plagiarism (on the part of the Bay film) has come up quite a bit.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"The word plagiarism (on the part of the Bay film) has come up quite a bit."

My understanding is that the producer of Parts won a lawsuit over this.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Don Solosan
"The word plagiarism (on the part of the Bay film) has come up quite a bit."

My understanding is that the producer of Parts won a lawsuit over this.
Yes, and mine as well. The Wiki article states that the out-of-court settlement was divided up between the nine partners of Clonus Associates.

"According to a 2007 interview with Clonus screenwriter Bob Sullivan, DreamWorks and Clonus' Associates settled out of court for an undisclosed amount to be divided among the nine partners of Clonus Associates.[4]"

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
The director of Clonus did an interview for the DVD of the MST3K version. He gives the show a lot of credit with helping win his "undisclosed amount". /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I love that the bump has nothing to do with THE ISLAND, but only with the film that it ripped off.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Yeah, I know. I couldn't find any thread talking about Clonus. :)

But, if the mod thinks it is just not appropriate, I will gladly have it moved.

Vic Pardo said:
I love that the bump has nothing to do with THE ISLAND, but only with the film that it ripped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks