What's new

The Island (2005) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Like or dislike Bay (I mostly DISlike), one thing he ain't is talentless. The guy can compose great shots. If he could find a heart and/or a brain to go with his stuff, he'd be top-shelf.

Sez me,

Chuck

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, call me crazy, but I actually like to see a movie before I pass judgement on it.
Alright Tino, come on. You don't actually like to see a movie before you judge NOT TO SEE IT, right? ;)
Bewitched, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Madagascar, there has to be a few you have skipped at the theater this year.
Chuck, I don't know if I agree on his composition. To me that part of the problem. His artistic style is too glossy and annoying to me, its that aspect specifically that seems to suck a lot of the soul out of his films. If there is a template for how to film a brainless action flick it seems that Bay is following it. That appears to remain true in the trailers.
I love the idea of this film and I'm always for a hack finding his way into quality cinema finally (one less hack making films is my view). I would love to find out this is a great film. But a lot of other poor SOBs are going to have to bite the 2 hour bullet first to let me know if its worth my theater trip.
And 5 very advance reviews at RT don't count. :)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
ike or dislike Bay (I mostly DISlike), one thing he ain't is talentless. The guy can compose great shots. If he could find a heart and/or a brain to go with his stuff, he'd be top-shelf.
I disagree with that. I think his stuff is formula and typical Hollywood moving camera overindulgence. Same old 'heroes walking in slow motion' against the sky or a flag or something. Or the camera that swings around constantly. Or the shots that have no purpose other than making something or someone cool. Frankly, watching his movies is painful to my eyes and ears.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Its not a great film. Not even a good one IMO. The ideas *are* interesting but absolutely none of them are even given any remote development. Several interesting avenues are presented, all of which are ignored in the last half for a series of chases. I'd love to talk about more but it would be spoiling until more people have seen it.

And it features, bar none, the most obnoxious product placement I've seen in a movie in many years.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been curious to see this one, as much as I don't like Michael Bay. I will probably go next week, and keep my fingers crossed that it can live up to my lowered expectations.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But a lot of other poor SOBs are going to have to bite the 2 hour bullet first to let me know if its worth my theater trip.
I'll bite.
I've liked all of Michael Bay's films and this one looks right up my alley. I also think he is extremely talented and one of the better action directors working today. Those "shots" don't bother me at all. That's just his trademark style, not terribly unlike Spielberg's closeup shots of wide eyed characters that populate almost all of his films(not comparing the two, Spielberg is miles ahead in talent).
So I'm deciding to pass judgement that it looks worthy enough to see in a theater. Whether it's actually any good
I'll have to wait and see. That judgement will come later.:D

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I saw it last night at a free screening.

It's atypical Michael Bay. Meaning if you like his other stuff, this is really no different, and you'll probably be entertained. If you hate his stuff...you get my drfit.

For the record, I hated, hated, hated this movie, as Roger Ebert would say.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
I hate Michael Bay (didn't even really like The Rock), but I'll go for Scarlett, which I'm nut about since Lost in Translation.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
for the ones that have yet to see it, here is a short clip of the highway/destruction chase scene.
Looks. Frikin. Awesome.
Highway Scene clip - WIndows Media clip - just click
quicktime clip
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Colton

Supporting Actor
I've watched the movie twice now. That highway/destruction scene is awesome to watch!

- Colton

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't think I like the subject matter enough to go, but that action sequence was pretty good. I may be alone, but I don't like the way Scarlett looks with that hair. She's looked better in everything else I've seen her in than she does here.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
:star: :star: :star: from Roger Ebert and Jack Mathews.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I may be alone, but I don't like the way Scarlett looks with that hair. She's looked better in everything else I've seen her in than she does here.
I think she basically looks more glammed up than in her other roles. I'm indifferent about her hair, but based on that promo pic of her pointing the pistol there's something rather compelling about her flawless (minus the eyebrow scrapes) skin.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm unfamiliar with the promo pic, but she does look better earlier in the trailer. In the shot here, she looks kind of weird with that Hillary Duff hair. I don't know. Anyway, I watched the sequence again and liked it enough that I may go on to the theater.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The highway scene definitely looks rehashed from Bay's Bad Boys 2, which I think was better than what I saw of this scene.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
A disappointment for this Bay fan, and may possibly be his weakest effort yet (its equal/superior being Bad Boys II). The action scenes deliver little original material, and the execution of the story is pretty by-the-numbers. There are a couple of notable scenes, though:
The fucking awesome Return of the Jedi speeder bike homage, and "I know Jesus loves you!" :laugh:
**3/4 out of ****

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In 3 pretty distinct acts, Bay borrows liberally the most in the second act, which is an insane chase sequence that pays homage to The Matrix Reloaded and Return of the Jedi
, and I couldn't help but laugh at the frenetic nuttiness on the screen. Say what you what about Bay's directorial efforts, at least the money spent shows up on the screen.

The film never quite has the balls to asks the really tough questions, given the subject matter, and sort of glosses over them in lieu of our 2 protagonist going on the run (some of it reminded me of Logan's Run on steroids). There are a few headscratching moments in the 3rd act, and while visually kinetic, it is more style over substance once again.

This is a popcorn movie, do leave your brain at the door (you really won't need it), and strap in, and try to have a little fun with the big action sequences. Oh, be prepared to see tons of product placement in this film, it got comical after a while for me.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks